Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Opinions on Kawasaki z1000sx

• 14-05-2015 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Just over two years after taking my first plunge into motorbikes and thinking it's time for an upgrade.

I currently have a Ninja 300, which I still adore, but as my bike is currently my sole form of transport all year round I'd like something similar but more comfortable and powerful for those longer trips through the mountains. This of course led me to my bikes bigger brothers and especially the Z1000SX (or Ninja 1000)

Has anyone on here have any first hand experience of it? Reviewers seem to like it and it seems to be fairly much in my price range (looking to go new again). Not to mention the Kawasaki panniers look class for those longer trips :D

Are there any other bikes I should be looking at? It needs to be decent for daily use and not have too many problems with wind at motorway speeds. Comfortable for a pillion would be great as well.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Seems to tick the boxes that you require.
    Would a Yamaha MT-09 Tracer interest you at all?
    Being a triple,something a bit different to the sx that you might like to consider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm open to having a look at anything really. Will read up on it, thanks for the suggestions.

The tracer is a bike that I would love to try out.
    Not saying there's anything wrong with Kawasaki but id prefer the Yamaha.
    Each to their own though.
    Try and test ride as many as you can when finding the right bike for you.

Here's a review of the tracer
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/yamaha/mt-09-tracer/2015/

Just read a few reviews and it seems like a serious machine. A fair bit cheaper than the Z1000SX (guts of 4k over here) without losing out too much. It doesn't have the option of those super stylish panniers but that's something I can live without (especially since they cost about 1k as well!) I prefer the overall look of the Kawa though.

There's a Yamaha dealer near me (my go to mechanic actually) so I'll see if they have one in the showroom and/or available for test drive.

Really thanks for the heads up, it looks a serious initial contender.

BKtje wrote: »
    Just read a few reviews and it seems like a serious machine. A fair bit cheaper than the Z1000SX (guts of 4k over here) without losing out too much. It doesn't have the option of those super stylish panniers but that's something I can live without (especially since they cost about 1k as well!) I prefer the overall look of the Kawa though.

There's a Yamaha dealer near me (my go to mechanic actually) so I'll see if they have one in the showroom and/or available for test drive.

Really thanks for the heads up, it looks a serious initial contender.

There are new ones advertised on Donedeal by a dealer for 10'995 I think which is a good price.
    I am not one for buying brand new bikes but a couple of years down the line I will be checking out one for sure.

• Advertisement

I'm in Switzerland and since the strengthening of the franc vs the euro many dealers are now giving "Euro discounts", basically a temporary drop in price. The MT-09 tracer is currently at a little under 10k euro from about 12k (Z1000SX at about 13.5k euro down from 16k).

I agree with you that it's better to buy a bike/car that's a few years old but I'm a sucker for new shiny things, especially when I'm placing my life in their hands. That said I found a couple of Z1000SX with 1-3k km on them for between 9 and 12k euro. I'd be wondering why their price was so low but might be worth checking out as well.

So finally starting to move on this. Just test drove the 09 tracer, in the rain, and I must say it was a joy. Very comfortable, plenty of power (though perhaps hard for me to judge coming from a 300cc) and a fuel economy at 80kph is in around 3.1l per 100km (according to the display) so nicely economical. I didn't try sport mode seeing as it was belting down but I can imagine the power.

I'm still not totally sold on the looks of it and while the upright seating position will be great for touring I wonder whether my weekend jaunts would be as fun.

I'm going to test out the z1000sx on Thursday or Friday (hoping the dealer has one available...) so I guess I'll make a final decision this week.

Apparently the dealer only has 1 mt 09 tracer left and won't get more till September. Over 700 sold in Switzerland already since launch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Beautiful-looking bike, the Z100SX. It reminds me of the old GPz1000RX for some reason.

Funny that you should say that as I don't really like the look of the GPz1000RX!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

BKtje wrote: »
    Funny that you should say that as I don't really like the look of the GPz1000RX!

What kind of talk is that?? Next you'll be telling me you don't like the Honda VF1000 Bol d'Or! :pac:

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    What kind of talk is that?? Next you'll be telling me you don't like the Honda VF1000 Bol d'Or! :pac:

Just had to google it and not sold on it either. I think it's the rectangular headlight that does it though I much prefer it to the GPz1000rx :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I test drove the Z1000sx in McCallans not so long ago. Lovely looking bike (terrible looking exhaust) bags of power and great handling and super brakes and lovely grunt from the engine. Screen is really really poor in both looks and function very cheap looking too. Riding position is very strange also, it feels like you are sitting on the handle bars you are that close to them. To me its trying to be the perfect hybrid of super sports and sports touring and doesnt get either right...you are sitting pretty much straight up which doesnt suit the bike IMHO.

Lovely bike all the same just wasnt for me.

Take a spin on a Versys 1000 also or if you really want to be the best of the best the new S1100XR from BMW.....what a beast of a machine but more buttons then a grannies jumper!!!!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I test drove the Z1000sx in McCallans not so long ago. Lovely looking bike (terrible looking exhaust) bags of power and great handling and super brakes and lovely grunt from the engine.

I don't actually mind the look of the exhausts too much but most people I spoke to have the same opinion as yourself.

[/quote]
    Screen is really really poor in both looks and function very cheap looking too. Riding position is very strange also, it feels like you are sitting on the handle bars you are that close to them. To me its trying to be the perfect hybrid of super sports and sports touring and doesnt get either right...you are sitting pretty much straight up which doesnt suit the bike IMHO.
    [/quote]
    First i've heard of the shoddy screen, something I'll be sure to check out when doing the test drive. As I'm quite short (5foot 6) I wonder if I'll have the same problem with regards the handlebars, perhaps I'm already used to it since the Ninja 300 is in part styled on the Z1000SX (or Ninja 1000 in the US) though you aren't sitting straight up on the 300 so I dunno. Sure will see later this week :)
    Take a spin on a Versys 1000 also or if you really want to be the best of the best the new S1100XR from BMW.....what a beast of a machine but more buttons then a grannies jumper!!!!
    I read that the new Versys 1000 is quite a tall bike which might give me problems which is why I never really considered it :p Will ask the Kawa dealer for a test drive anyway, nothing to lose!

I've kind of ignored BMW's but will give the S1100XR a look see, i do love my buttons!

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

Sat on a Z750, similar architecture, felt like my knees were scraping the ground and elbows up in the air, position feels way too far forward

GoTilUBlow wrote: »
    Sat on a Z750, similar architecture, felt like my knees were scraping the ground and elbows up in the air, position feels way too far forward

Check this out! http://cycle-ergo.com

That's a great tool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Same seating position as my ER6, which I love. You need to hold on with the legs, not with weight on the bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

blade1 wrote: »
    Seems to tick the boxes that you require.
    Would a Yamaha MT-09 Tracer interest you at all?
    Being a triple,something a bit different to the sx that you might like to consider

I'm not a fan of the Tracer. It's a really sterile looking version of the Mt-09.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the Tracer. It's a really sterile looking version of the Mt-09.

But the ride, performance and handling more then make up for it from the reviews. I have seen far worse looking machines tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

But the ride, performance and handling more then make up for it from the reviews. I have seen far worse looking machines tbh.

Haven't had a go but I wasn't that impressed with it when I saw it at the rds, although as you say the reviews do seem positive.

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    Haven't had a go but I wasn't that impressed with it when I saw it at the rds, although as you say the reviews do seem positive.

I think the price makes it a whole lot more attractive TBH.

Cienciano wrote: »

They say the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

They say the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Maybe if I win that Today fm competition I'll be eating some pudding :D

Maybe if I win that Today fm competition I'll be eating some pudding :D

What's this?????????

What's this?????????
    The chance to win €10k, that would cover the cost of a new tracer

The chance to win €10k, that would cover the cost of a new tracer

I see.
    Best of luck so!!

I see.
    Best of luck so!!

Ha, I'll need it, never win anything! But sure as they say, if you're not in, you can't win

Got a craving for some pudding now, thanks folks.

Test drove the Z1000SX today. Night and day for me between 09 tracer and Z1000SX. That excitement that was missing from the test drive yesterday was there in abundance this afternoon (although to be fair, it was a nice sunny day which helped).

Kept it in newbie mode for the whole drive (Low power and maximum traction control) and the power still blew me away. Was literally laughing away to myself with sheer joy.

I had no problems with regards the handlebar position and while the screen did look a little "off" it didn't cause me any undue concern. Can always change it at a later date if needs be.

Guy offered me more or less what I was hoping for in trade in value as well (minus a few hundred for some nasty scrapes on the faring where bike had toppled over last summer) so I came away from the whole experience very positive. Will have a think over the next day or so but am thinking that by end of next week I'll have a new bike. :D

Also gave the Versys 1000 a go and while the engine was great (not surprising since it's the same as the Z1000SX) it still felt somewhat similar to the Yamaha in seating position etc which just doesn't seem to do it for me.

Good stuff, if you had that huge grin then run with it i say.

Very best of luck.

• Advertisement

Went and ordered it today to bring an end to this chapter. Am delighted though it's going to be a long week to wait.

Also bread and water is what I'll be eating for a month or so :D

Advertisement