Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In 52% tax bracket - is it worth renting out house with no mortgage

Options
  • 14-05-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

I feel fed up with renting out house - feel its not worth renting out house with 52% tax - used to have tax based property so it was worth it then. Does anyone think this is not a sound way of thinking - happy to just leave the property empty and use it for family from time to time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hannaho wrote: »
    happy to just leave the property empty and use it for family from time to time.
    How isolated is it, and do you mind not having it insured?

The former, because breakins can happen if people think the house is abandoned, and the latter as most insurances policies have something that states someone has to live in it for X amount of time per month/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hannaho

The house is in Galway City - various members of my family would stay there a couple of times a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I feel fed up with renting out house - feel its not worth renting out house with 52% tax - used to have tax based property so it was worth it then. Does anyone think this is not a sound way of thinking - happy to just leave the property empty and use it for family from time to time.

48% of anything is worth more than 0%.

You need to work out the net return; then see how much effort is involved, and only you can then say if it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Find a good bookeeper. You should be able to bring the tax bill way down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Have you worked out the figures on what kind of return your getting as a %

• Advertisement
Advertisement