Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead Space: Analogue Stick Deadzone?

• 14-05-2015 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Finally managed to get this into a stable state to look at (I fixed some horrible screentearing and the likes) but now I'm put off the game by using it's controls.

First off, the mouse is way too slow to aim with, and if I try using an gamepad instead, it's grand until I try to aim. My character doesn't turn until I've moved the right analogue stick a good bit in, causing him to turn really quick.

Seriously bad deadzone on that.

This game is not very fun to play on PC at all, is it? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Finally managed to get this into a stable state to look at (I fixed some horrible screentearing and the likes) but now I'm put off the game by using it's controls.

First off, the mouse is way too slow to aim with, and if I try using an gamepad instead, it's grand until I try to aim. My character doesn't turn until I've moved the right analogue stick a good bit in, causing him to turn really quick.

Seriously bad deadzone on that.

This game is not very fun to play on PC at all, is it? :(

Is this the original Dead Space? I've played the first and second and I am on the third, played with xbox controller on PC and have not had that problem. What controller are you using?

They are kinda difficult games but not overly hard especially later on in the games. You get used to one type of enemy and how to kill them and your playing along and they introduce an even harder and faster enemy. But I still went onto the sequel after finishing them. The charactor gets more agile are the series progresses, in the first he is very clunky. Maybe that is what you are referring to as the dead zone. Like you I only started playing them recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pretty sure Isaac is an awkward ****e in the first game, you get used to controlling him after a while

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There is some serious mouse lag in Dead Space, but i think they left it in on purpose to make it feel like he's a slow engineer rather than a fighter. It gets a bit better if you turn off v-sync, and there are a few other potential fixes, but i found i just got used to it.

It's worth sticking with, as it's a great game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The problem with DS was vsync. Without it you have horrible screen tearing and with it you got awful input lag.

Pretty sure I forced triple buffering in the nVidia control panel to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yup, vsync on pc makes the game completely unplayable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I was using an Xbox One controller. Forgot to mention that, sorry.

I have V sync turned off and I know what ye mean lads about the input lag but this particular issue is that there is no registered action when I move the left or right stick until I've moved it a good percentage over.

When it does eventually register my movement, it makes the camera move ridiculously quick. Adjusting look sensitivity makes very minimal difference for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I played with xbox one controller as well and found no problems. He does move very awkward in the first and then in the second game much more fluid and then in the third he can even dodge by jumping/diving in any direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I played with xbox one controller as well and found no problems. He does move very awkward in the first and then in the second game much more fluid and then in the third he can even dodge by jumping/diving in any direction.

God, I'm going to have to try training myself to get used to it then. I have no prev-gen console to play it on, and I didn't get to finish any 3 of them. This is the only way I can play the game/s and it's frustrating that the first one is such a nightmare to get the hang of :(

I'll keep tweaking it to my liking, if I can.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm playing it at the moment as well, and it's horrible using either control method. I've just about settled on the pad, but neither are good and i'll just try to get used to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The excuse of the developer is that the controls are like that to replicate a console controller. It's utter horse**** though. The controls are linked to the games framerate so the better your PC performs the worse the controls get. If you have a PC that is struggling to hit 30 FPS V-synced like the console version then control will be perfect.

Maybe there's a fan patch or a way to throttle performance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If what retr0 says is true, and it likely is, you can use a program called Custom Resolution Utility to set custom resolutions. Set it to your native resolution, but limit fps to 30.

Apply the new res in CCC or whatever nVidias version is. Should work theoretically

Advertisement