Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro d'Italia Stage 7 - Grosseto - Fiuggi - *contains unmasked spoilers*

• 14-05-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭

stage07.jpg

This is the longest stage of this year's Giro by some way, at a massive 264km. As a result, it makes rating the course's suitability a bit of a challenge. If a large breakaway manages to stay from the start, there's a significant chance of it sticking. In addition the hilly final 50km will work more towards the likes of Philippe Gilbert, Michael Matthews and Simon Gerrans than say Viviani or Greipel. Luca Paolini has also been keeping his powder fairly dry so far, and will have his eye on tomorrow's stage certainly.

At the beginning however, many eyes will be on the Tinkoff starters, whether Contador will appear or not is still up in the air in truth. However with this stage giving the break something of an advantage, the win could really come from anywhere, and the odds reflect this.

Oddschecker: Matthews 6/1, Gilbert 8/1, Lobato 12/1, Felline 16/1, Modolo 14/1, Viviani 40/1, Greipel 33/1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Contador is confirmed to start today http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-confirmed-to-start-giro-ditalia-stage-7 but it is surely over for his GC hopes? Getting through to the rest day on Monday may be the target, but with the Giros longest stage today and two fairly tough looking days on Saturday and Sunday, I would imagine that the shoulder is not going to last unless the other teams give him a very easy ride.

I would guess that another fall on the shoulder could be very serious for the long term and much like Froome continuing in the Dauphine ? only with the help of a TUE, it is questionable whether Contador should risk continuing in the race.

Stage 7 starts at 9:25am BST

Finish at around 4:12pm BST

Live video from *1:30pm BST

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

a lumpy bumpy 264km with a dislocated shoulder - jaysus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

bazermc wrote: »

It's not your traditional dislocation, it was one of those that pop out and straight back in by itself. But still, i imagine the tissue and muscle is very sore.

If Mel Gibson can pop his shoulder back in and kill all of South Africa's bad guys afterwards, a sore shoulder is nothing for Contador after his broken leg escapade from last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I wonder will he get any pain relief?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Good luck, Alberto. The Giro is beautifully poised now, so I really want him to avoid significant losses this weekend, and then come out all guns blazing in weeks 2 & 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I think it will be a day for a break today. I can't see who will help OGE with the chasing. In fact, I think they might put a guy or two in the break themselves for the day off.

Everybody must be dog tired after the past six days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

4 man break has 10 minutes. Long way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

D9Male wrote: »
    Good luck, Alberto. The Giro is beautifully poised now, so I really want him to avoid significant losses this weekend, and then come out all guns blazing in weeks 2 & 3.

Going to be hard tomorrow with an MTF if his shoulder popped out and in yesterday, riding out of the saddle wouldn't be possible you'd think, I did rotator cuff damage to my shoulder, didn't get any injections etc. but no hope I could ride out of the saddle the next day or week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Say what you may about Contador but he has proved himself to be a double hard bastard.. fair play to him... if an athlete in any other sport dislocated their shoulder they would be out of action for weeks... looong stage today and tough mountain stage tomorrow.. hope he can hang in there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No time for convicted drug cheats myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Fender76 wrote: »
    Say what you may about Contador but he has proved himself to be a double hard bastard.. fair play to him... if an athlete in any other sport dislocated their shoulder they would be out of action for weeks... looong stage today and tough mountain stage tomorrow.. hope he can hang in there....
    Inquitus wrote: »

Moved to stage thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

bazermc wrote: »
    I doubt it's as bad as he is making out. Remember when he "broke" his leg in the tour and then he was away doing moto-pacing training and then re-appeared to win the Vuelta. He likes to overstate his injuries just like one Eldrick Woods.

New head-height barriers at the finish

CFC_JgaUIAE4SG_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

CFC_JgaUIAE4SG_.jpg

Ye but now the riders have to avoid those idiots standing on the finish line :D:pac:

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Vicious headwinds today means the riders are going at 35kph average. That suggests the break is doomed and we are in for a late finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I doubt it's as bad as he is making out. Remember when he "broke" his leg in the tour and then he was away doing moto-pacing training and then re-appeared to win the Vuelta. He likes to overstate his injuries just like one Eldrick Woods.

If anything I would expect he would understate his injuries if staying in the race - he would want to minimise the perception of weakness to his competitors. Would be different if abandoning the race.

Avg speed has dropped below 35kph now. Long day to come, at least 30-40 minutes behind schedule.

Live pictures starting shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Are the bunch taking it handy out of respect for Contador I wonder..?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

CFC_JgaUIAE4SG_.jpg

They don't look too different to yesterdays barriers!!!!!!

CFDAHjjWMAAqgR3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Inquitus wrote: »

Is convicted the correct term? It wasn't a criminal case.

REBELSAFC wrote: »

CFDAHjjWMAAqgR3.png

Yeah I should correct that, the Colli crash happened before those barriers started, that confused me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

You'd think some legislation would be in place to make it an offence to interfere with a sporting event. Plenty of serious accidents have been caused by clowns getting caught up in riders. Give them a €1000 fine / ban from attending events again. Make them responsible for their actions

Fender76 wrote: »
    Are the bunch taking it handy out of respect for Contador I wonder..?

Guys chatting on Eurosport about it before hand said they probably will. Not because it's Contador, but out of respect for the leaders jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Yeah I should correct that, the Colli crash happened before those barriers started, that confused me.

So I wonder if the head-height barriers are now in place further away from the finish line, eg. 100m before the line instead of the last 50m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Contador is always the main man in any race...no matter the reason

Out of the saddle and climbing at the moment so cannot be too bad

Would have preferred if Aru and/or Porte were ahead of him....IMO would make for better racing

Not a classic this. 49km to go, gap down to 4'34. Contador doesn't look 100% but he has been riding out of the saddle fairly regularly.

It'd be great if a team bus got stuck under the finish line and they had to move the finish line closer...

It'd be great if a team bus got stuck under the finish line and they had to move the finish line closer...

About 40km closer would be fine with me :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

nippo vini fantini aint the best of luck. Vini Fantini sounds like a character in Goodfellas

And we finally have less than 10km to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ara will ye stop with how slow its going.

When was the last time you did a 300km ride?

afatbollix wrote: »
    Ara will ye stop with how slow its going.

When was the last time you did a 300km ride?

Did you enjoy watching today's 7.5 hour stage? Do you not think maybe it could have been shortened a fair bit for everybody's benefit?

About 40km closer would be fine with me :o

This stage shows why Grand Tour stages should be 160km MAX. It would lead to much more interesting and exciting racing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

i only got the last 40km of that, what a bore fest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I thought the reasoning would be to tire a few out before the lumpier stage tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Did you enjoy watching today's 7.5 hour stage? Do you not think maybe it could have been shortened a fair bit for everybody's benefit?

I'm paid to watch it and it only over ran by 15 minutes so didn't take them much longer than usual.

I'm paid to watch it and it only over ran by 15 minutes so didn't take them much longer than usual.

I don't mind it over-running even slightly. It was just boring racing and un-necessarily long stage. Tom Dumoulin put it best.

https://twitter.com/tom_dumoulin/status/599239834759262208

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Tomorrow should be better, mountain top finish, a real test for Contadors injury. I expect fireworks from Aru/Astana and Porte/Sky.

neris wrote: »
    i only got the last 40km of that, what a bore fest

I manually set my sky box to record it as I didn't want the full program recorded. The bloody thing stopped with 2.1k to go.

• Advertisement

CFEQ0FvWoAAjy1x.jpg

Luca Paolini's pedalling style leaves something to be desired :o

We used to do that as kids when we had no working brakes on our jalopies in order to stop.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    We used to do that as kids when we had no working brakes on our jalopies in order to stop.

I'm kind of amazed that his cleat didn't do a number on the spokes, but clearly something's happened to his tyre in the incident

Yeah, can't work out what or why he's doing it, but he was risking his cleat wrecking his spokes as you say, or worse, his foot getting dragged in.

You're paid to watch it??

After watching the highlights last night (ie the last 5k) it looked like brilliant tactics from Lampre. It looked like Gerrans tracked Modolo and by the time he realised he was tracking the "wrong" Lampre rider it was too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I think Philippe Mauduit (sacked by Tinkov for not being hard enough in his approach to results) has made a big difference at Lampre

Advertisement