Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Geography HL 2015 - predictions, guesses and discussion ...

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

tr0llface wrote: »
    I only know physical well, know a few questions here and there for both economic and regional, waking up at 5 tomorrow to look over biomes. What has my life come to
    What are you gonna cover in biomes? I think I'm gonna risk it and just cover characteristics and adaptations (which are basically the same thing!).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hannnah98

tcofla wrote: »
    Any good websites for short questions?

edco exam centre.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

I still dont understand the characteristics of a biome, i was looking over an exam question and its only asking one characteristic about climate wise but i dont understand how you can get 80/80 doing that? Theres more characterists than climate , like flora and fauna and soil types?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hannnah98

I still dont understand the characteristics of a biome, i was looking over an exam question and its only asking one characteristic about climate wise but i dont understand how you can get 80/80 doing that? Theres more characterists than climate , like flora and fauna and soil types?!?!

what question is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

hannnah98 wrote: »
    what question is it ?

Its fine its just that i dont have anything about climate for rainforest which is frightening!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Its fine its just that i dont have anything about climate for rainforest which is frightening!!

Climate

The climate of the TRB is hot, wet and humid all year round. It has an average temperature of 27 °C, which rarely goes above 34 °C or below 20 °C. The only significant temperature difference experienced is between day and night-time or diurnal range. This biome receives its greatest heat from the 21st of June to the 22nd of December as the sun changes position above/below the equator (thermal equator). The position of the rainforest on earth relative to the angle causes the region to experience 12 hours of sunlight every day, 365 days of the year. Due to this, there are no summer or winter seasons present. [6 SENTENCE(S)]
    1,250mm-6,600mm of rain falls yearly. The temperature and rainfall rates result in average humidity of between 77%-88%. The humidity is caused by a combination of rainfall, evaporation and transpiration or water loss from the leaves of the vegetation. [3 SENTENCE(S)]

There is usually a brief season of less rain called the "not-so-rainy season" compared to the intense rain between December and June called the "very-rainy season". It rains every day, at very regular intervals, starting and ending very suddenly. This is called convectional rainfall, a term used to describe how rainfall comes about: When the sun heats the ground, it heats the air nearest the ground, causing it to expand and rise, and then, when it reaches a certain height, condenses to form clouds and eventually falls as rain. Rainforests generate up to 50% of its own percipitation through evaporation leading to this convectional rainfall. This process is a daily occurrence as clouds begin forming by late morning resulting in afternoon convectional rainfall. [5 SENTENCE(S)]

The other reason for such large volumes of rainfall is due to a band of clouds called the Intertropical Convergence Zone located near the equator. It is created by the convergence of the trade winds from the northern and southern hemispheres. These north-eastern and south-eastern warm trade winds converge in a low pressure zone close to the equator. Solar radiation forces the warm air to rise through convection and as it does, the air is cooled resulting in condensation and additional rainfall to that created by itself. The position of this band of air varies seasonally, moving north in the northern summer and south in the northern winter, and ultimately controlling the wet and dry seasons in the tropics. [5 SENTENCE(S)]

These regions have experienced strong warming at a mean rate of 0.26°C per decade which coincides with a global rise in temperature resulting from the anthropogenic inputs of greenhouse gases into the atmopshere. Studies have also found that percipitation has declined and tropical Asia has experienced an increase in dry season intensity whereas amazonia has no significant pattern change in percipitation or dry season. [2 SENTENCE(S)]

Is that what you're talking about? It's what I've written for climate for my biome essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bourke97

Hey guys! Unfortunately, I've got a very bad vomiting bug with cramps and unpleasant you know what and I've the geography exam today! What do I do? Really don't think I'll be able to sit the exam, would I be able to do a back up paper at a later date? Or would they force me to go in and do it? Or would I just have to leave this exam?? So upset because I worked so hard and now I can't move from my bed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Probably a bit late but could anyone tell me if Views of Development, Global Warming, Deforestation and Aid/Trade is enough? (global interdependance)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Bourke97 wrote: »
    Hey guys! Unfortunately, I've got a very bad vomiting bug with cramps and unpleasant you know what and I've the geography exam today! What do I do? Really don't think I'll be able to sit the exam, would I be able to do a back up paper at a later date? Or would they force me to go in and do it? Or would I just have to leave this exam?? So upset because I worked so hard and now I can't move from my bed :(

My sister was sick for English last year, she rang the school and they organised for her to do it in a classroom close to the toilets with her own supervisor, I'm sure something could be arranged.

At worst you could do the short questions and 20 markers to get a D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The post-exam discussion thread is here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement