Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Geography HL 2015 - predictions, guesses and discussion ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

The region that i want to use for this question is the Mezzogiorno.
    I don't really understand the question.

"Describe and explain any two factors that influence the development of secondary economic activities in a European Region (not in Ireland) that you have studied."

So basically how do I answer this or what do I do?
    Leaving human processes aside, Would you discuss physical: climate,relief,drainage etc or just discuss the secondary details that are in the book such as the cassa etc.

Thanks and PLEASE HELP!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭joe14

nokia211 wrote: »
    The region that i want to use for this question is the Mezzogiorno.
    I don't really understand the question.

"Describe and explain any two factors that influence the development of secondary economic activities in a European Region (not in Ireland) that you have studied."

So basically how do I answer this or what do I do?
    Leaving human processes aside, Would you discuss physical: climate,relief,drainage etc or just discuss the secondary details that are in the book such as the cassa etc.

Thanks and PLEASE HELP!

Better off doing the Paris Basin,Using the Mezzogirno for this wouldn't be good as Manufacturing in this area is very low.Pick a core region for this question.Talk about the Infrastructure,skilled labour force and also the markets e.g. The EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Kremin wrote: »
    What I sometimes do is leave a line/space inbetween each point just to make sure the examiner knows it's a different point. My teacher also suggested we use punctuation often, not these huge lines that go on for paragraphs.

In the 80 marker you'll get shafted on Overall Coherence doing this. If students need to be lowered a grade, you'll get piss all OC marks to drop you. Write it as an essay

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

In the 80 marker you'll get shafted on Overall Coherence doing this. If students need to be lowered a grade, you'll get piss all OC marks to drop you. Write it as an essay

Our teacher hasn't really explained how to lay anything out well. For the 80 mark is it good or bad to title each section of you answer.
    e.g. when talking about composition of soil having like a heading of organic matter followed by the paragraph?

OMGeary wrote: »
    Our teacher hasn't really explained how to lay anything out well. For the 80 mark is it good or bad to title each section of you answer.
    e.g. when talking about composition of soil having like a heading of organic matter followed by the paragraph?

Yeah that's the way we were told to do it. Title, paragragh, title, paragraph.

Just not bullet points

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the way we were told to do it. Title, paragragh, title, paragraph.

Just not bullet points

Ok, grand thanks :)

Hello can anyone give me some tips with regards to learning how to remember and the maps. Any general tips etc. I have to be able to draw Ireland, Mezzogiorno Italy and France
    Please help

Hello can anyone give me some tips with regards to learning how to remember and the maps. Any general tips etc. I have to be able to draw Ireland, Mezzogiorno Italy and France
    Please help

Split them into 4 parts, and take them bit by bit. They don't have to be works of art, once they even resemble what they're supposed to be you'll get decent marks for the outline.

Drawing them freehand, and telling yourself where you need to tidy up, and doing it again is how I prefer to do it, draw and draw and draw until I'm happy with it

So is the general outlines okay?

So is the general outlines okay?

Okay as in what?

• Advertisement

What exactly constitutes an SRP for the option. Like how long should each one be???

A factual, relevant point AFAIK. Has to be related to the topic.

In physical pretty much everything you write is factual, but for regional it has to be related, which is why you sometimes need more to hit an srp

A factual, relevant point AFAIK. Has to be related to the topic.

In physical pretty much everything you write is factual, but for regional it has to be related, which is why you sometimes need more to hit an srp

Ye, but the option? Is it relevant point, or a fully fledged explanation of the point ?

Ye, but the option? Is it relevant point, or a fully fledged explanation of the point ?

We do Human Geography for the option, and it normally takes explanation to get the SRP. Might be different in Economic but I doubt it

We do Human Geography for the option, and it normally takes explanation to get the SRP. Might be different in Economic but I doubt it

Is human not the elective ?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Please help

you dont need mezzogiorno and france, only one is needed, mezzogiorno is easiest and north ital is the core region. Continental/sub is very likely for a sketch map this year

Is human not the elective ?

I'm getting confused now... Are you talking the 80 markers?

I'm getting confused now... Are you talking the 80 markers?

Yes, the 80 mark one.

Yes, the 80 mark one.

Sorry my bad, I've found the geoecology to be mostly factual, though soils require more explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

Will I be safe just learning 'human interaction with soil' and 'characteristics of biome' for geoecology??
    Struggling as it is help!

• Advertisement

gracew wrote: »
    Will I be safe just learning 'human interaction with soil' and 'characteristics of biome' for geoecology??
    Struggling as it is help!

no that will not get you a guaranteed questions, look at previous comments, topic has been discussed before

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭joe14

RoRo979 wrote: »
    you dont need mezzogiorno and france, only one is needed, mezzogiorno is easiest and north ital is the core region. Continental/sub is very likely for a sketch map this year

That isn't true, Last year a question came up "Examine the importance of relief to the economic development of any TWO contrasting regions(not in Ireland) that you have studied.

You would be taken a massive gamble if you didn't no the Mezzogiorno and the Paris basin

joe14 wrote: »
    That isn't true, Last year a question came up "Examine the importance of relief to the economic development of any TWO contrasting regions(not in Ireland) that you have studied.

You would be taken a massive gamble if you didn't no the Mezzogiorno and the Paris basin

if you looked at the question i replied to the user asked for help in drawing a sketch map for Italy and France. I simply just said you dont need to do a sketch map for both

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JohnDunne

Just incase it asks for positives and negatives... I've studied the Amazon Rainforest but can't think of any positives. Can anyone help me out with a few points, even if it's not specifically for the rainforest?

JohnDunne wrote: »
    Just incase it asks for positives and negatives... I've studied the Amazon Rainforest but can't think of any positives. Can anyone help me out with a few points, even if it's not specifically for the rainforest?

i actually talked about deforestation as a negativie and reforestation as a positive: here is what i have:
    Re-forestation
    define:
    Human interaction can also be positive e.g reforestation
    This is the restocking of existing tropical rainforests
    an example is Worldwide Rainforest Renaissance project- 2 ways:-
    By replanting fast growing native trees
    Educating+training locals on importance of land management
    Another project is Sustainable Harvest International:
    provide families with assisstance and materials to plant variety of trees with other crops
    more than 100 families with SHI planted more than 2m trees
    they save huge acres of tropical rainforest from slash and burn
    participating families benefit from up income from alternative cash crop
    another way which is just as effective as re-planting is preventing
    Conservation zone have been set up where tree felling is banned.
    These areas are used only by native tribes.
    Brazil has many sites protected and some are so unique they are designated as biosphere reserves by the UN.
    This is a long term solution to fixing the discussed problems. The new trees will continue to intercept rain drops thus reducing splash erosion. It will once again provide humus and cover lotos from being baked by the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rockerdude15

Why does my Teacher look for 10 srps at 3 marks each and I'm doing higher level?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why does my Teacher look for 10 srps at 3 marks each and I'm doing higher level?

Possibly they have no experience correcting?
    10x3 would give a higher mark than you would actually get in the real thing.

Perhaps they have some other reason - have you asked them?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rockerdude15

spurious wrote: »
    Possibly they have no experience correcting?
    10x3 would give a higher mark than you would actually get in the real thing.

Perhaps they have some other reason - have you asked them?
    I have but he just denies it, and he has claimed to be correcting in the summer, I don't know if he's around school cos we are finished. I'm very worried because of how he's marked them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have but he just denies it, and he has claimed to be correcting in the summer, I don't know if he's around school cos we are finished. I'm very worried because of how he's marked them.

If he's not following the marking scheme he's not an SEC corrector. Is there a second Geog teacher could have a look?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

His other classes may not have finished. He may be around. As spurious said, see if you can get a second opinion. Teachers in my school were more than happy to correct stuff for 6th years if they asked nicely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement