Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Geography HL 2015 - predictions, guesses and discussion ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CallumM

Just a question in relation to the format of geography answers to the long questions and Geoecology modules of the geography paper. When writing an essay will marks be lost by writing in point format rather than in an essay style ? And if so how should the long answer essays be structured in order to explain SRPs properly

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

Seeing as migration is a big thing at the minute, do you think EU migration policy might make its first appearance on the Leaving Cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    Seeing as migration is a big thing at the minute, do you think EU migration policy might make its first appearance on the Leaving Cert?

Is it even on the syllabus? I thought they could only ask for CAP, CFP etc?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I've merged a few geography threads with this main thread. Just for future reference, there's a thread here for each of the popular subjects with predictions and ongoing discussion. Thank you.

Kremin wrote: »
    Is it even on the syllabus? I thought they could only ask for CAP, CFP etc?
    As far as I know, it's in the Human elective section, but it's never been examined, so who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tcofla

RoRo979 wrote: »
    you dont need mezzogiorno and france, only one is needed, mezzogiorno is easiest and north ital is the core region. Continental/sub is very likely for a sketch map this year

Not true, you can be asked to compare and contrast two European regions
    And
    You can be asked questions on a peripheral European region

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

tcofla wrote: »
    Not true, you can be asked to compare and contrast two European regions
    And
    You can be asked questions on a peripheral European region

really..... i feel like im having DeJa Vu, please read my comment which i already posted regarding this

LeeLee97 wrote: »

EU migration policy imo is unbelieveably unlikely, The most they differed from : EU policy impact itreland" is "Eu policy imapcting regional development". Know CRP and CAP and your , this is for economic section

EU migration policy imo is unbelieveably unlikely, The most they differed from : EU policy impact itreland" is "Eu policy imapcting regional development". Know CRP and CAP and your , this is for economic section

EU Migration Policy falls under Human Elective and CAP falls under economic elective

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tcofla

really..... i feel like im having DeJa Vu, please read my comment which i already posted regarding this

I didn't see it. Get over yourself blue you're not some big deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ooooh, is the stress starting to show? :p

Deep breaths, people, everyone is tired and on edge at this stage! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Does anyone know where I can find a list containing all the geography essays we have to know for the Leaving Certificate?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Is it safe to learn just soils or just biomes, or could the SEC screw everyone over and do three of 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EoinC301

Geography Higher Level

S.Q -
    O.S Grid ref.
    Interpret graph or chart

Geography Higher Level

Physical
    O.S Map sketch
    River Landforms
    Rock Types
    Limestone Formation
    Human Activity with rock cycle
    Isostatic processes
    Earthquakes

Regional
    Ireland Ireland and EU, Industry in Ireland, Primary activities
    Subcontinental Culture, Sketch, Urban growth, Agriculture
    European Industry, Agriculture, Tourism

Human
    Overpopulation
    Migration
    Land Use and development
    Historic Settlement O.S map

Elective - Geoecology
    Characteristics of a named Biome

Just my own research of trends and past papers

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

did any natural disasters such as a earthquake or tsunami occur last year ? im only asking because when the icelandic volcanic ash cloud happened there was a question on it in the exam the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

EoinC301 wrote: »
    Geography Higher Level

S.Q -
    O.S Grid ref.
    Interpret graph or chart

Geography Higher Level

Physical
    O.S Map sketch
    River Landforms
    Rock Types
    Limestone Formation
    Human Activity with rock cycle
    Isostatic processes
    Earthquakes

Regional
    Ireland Ireland and EU, Industry in Ireland, Primary activities
    Subcontinental Culture, Sketch, Urban growth, Agriculture
    European Industry, Agriculture, Tourism

Human
    Overpopulation
    Migration
    Land Use and development
    Historic Settlement O.S map

Elective - Geoecology
    Characteristics of a named Biome

Just my own research of trends and past papers
    I predict sub continental tertiary as it has not come up in six years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

For geography, anyone have a sample answer or a list of SRPs for a delta?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EoinC301

nathan99 wrote: »
    I predict sub continental tertiary as it has not come up in six years.

I don't know how I didn't spot that thank you! Do u think they would ask 1 like previous year or would they ask for 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bohsboy11

Hi, just a question regarding mass movement.
    The question in the exam usually asks "describe and explain one process of mass movement" however I can only find answers that are almost entirely made up of reasons why mass movement occurs. Is this an acceptable answer for this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kelly8249

jane_ohara wrote: »
    Ok so I'm doing the hot desert biome with reference to the Thar Desert/Sahara Desert. I have answers for biome characteristics and influence of climate on vegetation and soils, but I really need an answer for human interaction in the biome. The only answers I can find are for the tropical rainforest.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone help me!!!

This is the essay i'm learning! I think my teacher teaches Geography a little differently to some other teachers. For each 30m and 80m she gives us each actual srp, and expects us to learn them off my heart like essays. Whether I have notice other teachers tend to give students the relevant info and then you mould your own answer based on this!

I think she tends to give us surplus information sometime because it leaves us some leeway to forget things!

This is our geoecology essay for hot desert biome anyway... Hope this helps!

NOTE: Where i have 'INTRO', 'ASPECT 1' etc. You're not meant to put them in its just to give you a sense of the structure! Also, the line breaks between each SRP I would leave out in the actual exam and write it in essay format.. I just find it easier to learn this way.

INTRO: A biome is a major world region that is characterized by similarities in climate, soils, flora and fauna. All of these aspects of a biome are interrelated. The biome I have studied is the desert biome, with particular reference to the North American Deserts.
    The N. American Desert consist of four distinct regions; Chihuahuan Desert, Sonoran Desert, Mojave Desert, and the Great Basin Desert. The first 3 I have mentioned are hot deserts, while the Great Basin Desert is considered to be a 'cold' desert due to being at a higher latitude and altitude.

ASPECT 1: A key characteristic of a hot desert biome is climate, especially rainfall and temperature.
    In hot desert regions rain fall is usually low and unpredictable. It tends to come in short bursts after long rainless periods. When rain falls, rapid run-off occurs.
    Evaporation rates regularly exceed rainfall rates. Sometime when rain starts falling it evaporates before even reaching the ground. This low level of infiltration and high level of evaporation minimises vegetation growth.
    Rainfall in desert regions is usually seasonal. The 3 hot deserts receive either Summer or Winter precipitation, with an annual rainfall varying from 150mm - 300mm.
    The cold desert region gets approx. 300mm of precipitation a year with winter precipitation taking the form of snow.
    Temperatures are very extreme, the annual range being 30 - 40 degree Celcius. The diurnal range is often greater, leading to the description that ''night time is the winter of the desert''.
    Daytime temperatures are high, often reaching 45 degrees C. This is due to low latitude (15 - 30 degrees N). The sun's rays as a result shine from almost directly overhead, and have less ground to cover. This means they are more concentrated and so give more heat.
    Due to the lack of clouds and the absence of vegetation, very little heat is lost and most is absorbed by the bare rock or stony surface.
    In contrast, night-time temperatures are much lower, often falling below freezing point in Winter. The heat which has built up during the day is quickly last at night as there is no cloud cover to retain it.

ASPECT 2: Soil structure and formation; The dominant soil types in hot deserts are aridisols, and they are greatly influenced by climate conditions.
    Aridisols can range from sandy and fine textured to coarse. These soils are weathered and eroded, and washing down from mountain areas during occasional downpours over thousands of years.
    Coarse textured soils are found on the lower slopes of mountains and due to their coarse texture are well drained.
    Fine soils have been washed into lowland areas giving a very deep soil cover. If winds are very strong, the fine particles get blown elsewhere leaving coarser particle behind.
    Aridisols tend to be poorly developed as the lo levels of rainfall mean there is little chemical weathering.
    Although they have a high mineral content, they have little organic matter due to spare vegetation cover.
    This in turn limits the soil building properties of micro organisms that convert organice matter into humus. As a result aridisols have very poorly developed horizons, and may not have an identifiable 'A' horizon. These soils tend to be light grey in colour.
    Aridisols often have abundant nutrients, and need only water to become productive. This is evident in the rapid growth of some plant after a short, intense spell of rainfall.
    However as the soils have so little organic matter, they are unable to return all the moisture that falls on them due to evaporation.

ASPECT 3: Flora; Deserts are characterized by having sparse vegetation. The vegetation has had to adapt to extreme of both heat and drought. It has done this in a number of ways.
    Soil moisture often supports plant growth for just a short period. Fast growing plants (ephemerals) complete their lifecycle in just 3 weeks.
    These plants have seeds that can germinate, develop to maturity, flower and produce a new crop of seeds all within a few weeks.
    The old plants die, while the new seeds lie dormant. The seeds have a waxy coating to protect them until the next rains come, often several years later. These plants inclue the desert dandelion and the creosote bush.
    Some plants are succulent, meaning they are able to absorb and store water during periods of rainfall. They store water in different parts, including roots, spines and stems.
    The plant swells up upon absorption of water, and shrink once water has been lost via transpiration. These plants include the cactus, and the best known member of the Yucca family, the Joshua Tree, which can grow up to 15m tall.
    Many plants have large radial root systems that spread outwards from the plant. This allows the plant to plant to absorb as much water as possible following rainfall. Many members of the Cacti family have such root systems.
    Other plants have tap roots, which grow deep underground. An example of such a plant is the Mesquite, who's roots can extend up to 30m deep.
    Some plants also have a defensive system that prevents them from attack by animals. The Creosote bush relies on it's unpleasant smell and taste for protection.

• Advertisement

Q explain with references to examples that you have studied how.the theory of plate tectonics helps explain the distribution of earthquakes around the world (30 marks)

How many srps and marks out of 30 should I get?

This the 30m i'm learning, if you want a reference point! :)

-Most earthquakes occur at destructive plate boundaries where two plates collide. They are especially common at subduction zones where convection currents in the mantle cause heavy oceanic plates to slide under the lighter continental plates.
    -This subduction is not smooth. As an oceanic plate sinks it may become jammed against the continental plate. But convection currents will continue to try and force the oceanic plate downwards.
    -This will cause the jammed rocks to bend under stress. This will result in a build up of stored energy in the bent rocks.
    -Eventually the stress becomes so great that the jammed plates will jolt forward suddenly and the bent rock will snap along a fault line.
    -Where this happens the stored energy is released suddenly and seismic waves radiate outwards in all directions.
    -When the seismic wave reach the crust surface, they cause it to tremble violently in what we call an earthquake.
    -In March 2011 Japan suffered its worst ever earthquake. The quake measured 8.9 on the Richter scale and its epicentre was 130 kilometres off Japan's East coast.
    -Japan is located in the Pacific Ring of Fire near a subduction zone where the Pacific Plate sinks underneath the Eurasian plate.
    -As the Pacific plate is pushed downwards the edge of the Eurasian plate was also dragged down due to friction.
    -This caused tension to build up slowly until the Earth's crust snapped and when it snapped the edge of the Eurasion plate jerked upwards.
    -When the edge of the Eurasian plate jolted upwards on the seabed, it displaced a huge amount of water that caused a tsunami to radiate outwards towards the Japanese coast, at very fast speed, rising to height of 10m.
    -Earthquake also occur at conservative plate boundaries where plates slide past one another. Again, the moving plate becomes jammed and stored energy is build up.
    -Upon release of this energy, the jammed rock snap along a fault, such as along the San Andreas Fault.
    -Earthquakes can occur at constructive plate boundaries where separation causes rocks to slip along fault line and fissures, causing tremours.
    -Such tremours are common beneath the Mid-Atlantic where the American Plate separates from the Eurasian and African plate.

What's everyon's opinion on this 30m? What marks would you give it?

kelly8249 wrote: »
    This the 30m i'm learning, if you want a reference point! :)

-Most earthquakes occur at destructive plate boundaries where two plates collide. They are especially common at subduction zones where convection currents in the mantle cause heavy oceanic plates to slide under the lighter continental plates.
    -This subduction is not smooth. As an oceanic plate sinks it may become jammed against the continental plate. But convection currents will continue to try and force the oceanic plate downwards.
    -This will cause the jammed rocks to bend under stress. This will result in a build up of stored energy in the bent rocks.
    -Eventually the stress becomes so great that the jammed plates will jolt forward suddenly and the bent rock will snap along a fault line.
    -Where this happens the stored energy is released suddenly and seismic waves radiate outwards in all directions.
    -When the seismic wave reach the crust surface, they cause it to tremble violently in what we call an earthquake.
    -In March 2011 Japan suffered its worst ever earthquake. The quake measured 8.9 on the Richter scale and its epicentre was 130 kilometres off Japan's East coast.
    -Japan is located in the Pacific Ring of Fire near a subduction zone where the Pacific Plate sinks underneath the Eurasian plate.
    -As the Pacific plate is pushed downwards the edge of the Eurasian plate was also dragged down due to friction.
    -This caused tension to build up slowly until the Earth's crust snapped and when it snapped the edge of the Eurasion plate jerked upwards.
    -When the edge of the Eurasian plate jolted upwards on the seabed, it displaced a huge amount of water that caused a tsunami to radiate outwards towards the Japanese coast, at very fast speed, rising to height of 10m.
    -Earthquake also occur at conservative plate boundaries where plates slide past one another. Again, the moving plate becomes jammed and stored energy is build up.
    -Upon release of this energy, the jammed rock snap along a fault, such as along the San Andreas Fault.
    -Earthquakes can occur at constructive plate boundaries where separation causes rocks to slip along fault line and fissures, causing tremours.
    -Such tremours are common beneath the Mid-Atlantic where the American Plate separates from the Eurasian and African plate.

What's everyon's opinion on this 30m? What marks would you give it?
    15 points there, + diagram + sometime 2srps = 13 points needed.

i personally believe some of your points you have seperated but really can be wrote as one.e.g

-Earthquakes also occur at conservative plat boundaries where plates slide past each other. The plates become jammed and eventually the plates slip along a fault line e.g San andreas Fault.

I believe in this talking about energy again will not yield an extra srp as already discussed, Talking about P and S waves ( shear and compression i believe) may get an extra 2 srps but also going slighly off topic so wouldnt hang around them too much. I amnt much help as i amnt going near plate tectonics, too much to know for 1 essay so id wait till a better user replies

• Registered Users Posts: 9 papaoutai

Anyone that has opted for human interdependence as your 80 marker, would you have any pointers on what to prepare please?

I have covered;
    -Aid/ Fair trade (positive and negative impacts on developing economies)
    -Interdependence>impact of economic activities (impact=global warming, pollution)
    -Sustainability (positives and negatives, renewable energy)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

papaoutai wrote: »
    Anyone that has opted for human interdependence as your 80 marker, would you have any pointers on what to prepare please?

I have covered;
    -Aid/ Fair trade (positive and negative impacts on developing economies)
    -Interdependence>impact of economic activities (impact=global warming, pollution)
    -Sustainability (positives and negatives, renewable energy)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks ðŸ˜႒

I also did views of development but i doubt it will come up again, oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

I'm kinda stuck here, help would be appreciated. Should i just learn off each chapter in geography or should i be writing out essays for specific questions so that i'm ready for the question?

KA97 wrote: »
    I'm kinda stuck here, help would be appreciated. Should i just learn off each chapter in geography or should i be writing out essays for specific questions so that i'm ready for the question?

Well the way I'm doing it is I have 30m/80m essays for each possible question, and i learn the key points in each srp. And some of the information can be transferred to different essays etc.

But it's a personal preference, because I'm right down to the last minute in the exam. So for me it would take up too much time to form an essay around information I have in my head, rather than have the essay for each question pre-prepared! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Winnieme12

Hi all,

I'm a little confused, for mass movement and erosion/deposition can I just focus on learning erosion and deposition and not do a long question on mass movement?? I know I'll need to know about mass movement for short questions but in relation to long questions I find it easier to learn and write about erosion/deposition. Will there be a choice? Thanks so much for help!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

bohsboy11 wrote: »
    Hi, just a question regarding mass movement.
    The question in the exam usually asks "describe and explain one process of mass movement" however I can only find answers that are almost entirely made up of reasons why mass movement occurs. Is this an acceptable answer for this question?

No. It is asking you to also describe the process of mass movement that you choose. Just explaining why it happens is half the answer.

Why not answer it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

anybody doing culture and identify ? what yee reckon will come up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveMc90

With the tertiary activities , lets say on paris basin, and they ask for one activity can you discuss tourism under the headings of attractions and its accessibility or can you not talk about accessibility because transport is also a tertiary activity? My teacher said you can still talk about accessibility but i just want to be sure!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement