Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Geography HL 2015 - predictions, guesses and discussion ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

kelly8249 wrote: »
    Haha, these regional and physical topics are EXACTLY what i'm doing, plus a couple more physicals.

Think the whole country is banking on sedimentary! What else you doing? Plate tectonics or earthquakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Haha, these regional and physical topics are EXACTLY what i'm doing, plus a couple more physicals.

Ye same with me haha. Plate tectonics not a chance I'm going near, have formation of metamorphic as heard sedimentary to metamorphic being said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Haha thanks guys gonna cram this up tonight gonna do an all nighter!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kelly8249

RoRo979 wrote: »
    Ye same with me haha. Plate tectonics not a chance I'm going near, have formation of metamorphic as heard sedimentary to metamorphic being said

Yeah i'm doing sedimentary to metamorphic also. And human impact on coastal processes. :)
    LeeLee97 wrote: »
    Think the whole country is banking on sedimentary! What else you doing? Plate tectonics or earthquakes?

Sedimentary rock and the metamorphic it turns in to.
    Human impact on coastal processes.
    And probably Plate tectonic and occurence of volcanoes because that seems to stick in my memory pretty well. :)

Sedimentary rock and the metamorphic it turns in to.
    Human impact on coastal processes.
    And probably Plate tectonic and occurence of volcanoes because that seems to stick in my memory pretty well. :)

Lucky for some! Hate plate tectonics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 MariaW4794

I'm learning isostacy, formation of waterfalls and levees, geothermal energy in Iceland and a karst region(the burren) for my physical as that's all that has really come in the question 2s since 2010, do you think that's enough or should I cover some more just to be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brooksyy96

MariaW4794 wrote: »
    I'm learning isostacy, formation of waterfalls and levees, geothermal energy in Iceland and a karst region(the burren) for my physical as that's all that has really come in the question 2s since 2010, do you think that's enough or should I cover some more just to be sure?

maybe human interaction with a river

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MariaW4794

brooksyy96 wrote: »
    maybe human interaction with a river

Ya going to cover canalisation on the river Rhine thanks, any ideas of what will come up for regional of elective?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brooksyy96

MariaW4794 wrote: »
    Ya going to cover canalisation on the river Rhine thanks, any ideas of what will come up for regional of elective?

doing human unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tarac123

hi i do higher level grography for the leaving too and got an A in the pre so might be able to help! i would recommend learning:
    PHYSCICAL GEO:
    -landfall of erosion (waterfall)
    -landfall of deposition (levee)
    -human interaction with rivers (levees,canals,dams, plus levees question previously learned overlaps)
    -sedimentary rocks in details (skim over other two)
    -human interaction with rock cycle (geothermal energy)
    -fold mountains
    -skim over volcanoes and earthquakes

REGIONAL:
    -all maps
    -Ireland (peripheral and core-primary, secondary, tertiary)
    -india population and language culture religion etc
    -paris-urban area,primary secondary and tertiary
    -italy-skim over primary sector, and characteristics of peripheral region for socio economic ques.

QUESTION 10 TO 12 IS MY OPTIONS:(not sure on yours):
    -ireland pop change over time
    -education and globalisation (agri, medical revolution etc impacting on world pop.)

GEOECOLOGY IS MY ELECTIVE:
    -characteristics of biome
    -human activity on soil erosion
    -human activity on biome positive and negative
    -brown earth if have time

ENGLISH:
    -comparative- theme/issue and literary genre (someone told me a bruce teacher advised to stay away from questions
    divided 40/30 and stick to full 70 marker
    -poetry- frost, donne, montague and dickinson. our teacher said everyones banking on ni chuileannain and shes too obvious to come up,also if she comes up everyone in country will do her so will be hard to score high.
    -Othello-iago and jealousy/revenge theme ques was predicited at a bruce course. would also learn symbolism and imagery and othello character
    Hope this helps! anymore questions just ask, i also do higher level maths,irish,business,german and ag science!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 luluzade

I did geography last year and I ended up getting a C1 in Honours with basically no study, didn't study til 2 nights before, all I learned well was rock types and the geoecology section and I did my short questions well so it's definitly doable, just apply common sense and you'll be fine, along with the project it's loads of marks
    Same with english i got NO notes the 2 years, only thing I had was poetry because we had a different teacher for poetry in 5th year, just keep writing and in your rough work say what you'll talk about mainly in each paragraph and then just drag it out, got a C1 there too and only got 40% in the mock so tis grand don't sweat over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Good through old threads and someone said they are not accepting the Desert as a biome any more??? Please tell me this is not true???

I can write about a hot desert biome right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

I've seen one or two people say that they are studying the geothermal energy essay for the human interaction with rock cycle. I've always had this essay for the positive effects of volcanoes. Can it really be used for the rock cycle too?

Cheerios wrote: »
    I've seen one or two people say that they are studying the geothermal energy essay for the human interaction with rock cycle. I've always had this essay for the positive effects of volcanoes. Can it really be used for the rock cycle too?

it can most definately, i do economic elective so my human interaction with rock and conflict of interest answers are the same, corrib gas field

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

characteristics of a biome
    Humans alter
    Humans impact
    Should these cover me for the biomes?

For regional I have no notes on population for any region which might be bad and I'm also not covering the west or Mezzogiorno apart from agriculture in west of Ireland.

Human is just horrid. I know traffic congestion and that's about it. Anyone know what land use models changing is? Or planning strategies in rural areas as it's never come up? Nice lovely question with a map/impacts of rural to urban migration and problems with growth of urban centers would be delightful.

Any help much appreciated lads. Best of luck

What's the difference between human alterations and humans impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 podisyc

Are we looking at two biomes and one soils, or two soils one biome? What yous thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

Hi do ye think I'll be covered with this ?
    Physical
    River landforms-1 deposition 1 erosion
    Impact of humans on rivers
    Sedimentary rocks
    Human interaction with the rock cycle
    Isostatic procesesses

Regional
    Enlargement of the EU on ireland
    Secondary activ in ireland
    Primary activ in ireland
    Sketch map of subcontinental
    Culture in subcont
    Tertiary activ in subcont
    Urban growth in a european region
    Secondary activ in european region
    Primary activities in european region

Human
    Land use theory models
    Historic settlement os map
    Land use and development
    Migration
    Overpopulation
    Urban growth in developed economies

Geoecology
    Influence of climate on the characteristics of a biome
    Human impact on soil
    How plant and animal life adapts to the biome

I'd cover all of sub-continental incase they specify that they want a core/periphery region in Ireland/Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Please can someone clarify that is it ok to use a Hot Desert Biome when discussing a biome I have studied and it's characteristics?

I'd really appreciate it!

• Advertisement

Pacman96 wrote: »
    Hi do ye think I'll be covered with this ?
    Physical
    River landforms-1 deposition 1 erosion
    Impact of humans on rivers
    Sedimentary rocks
    Human interaction with the rock cycle
    Isostatic procesesses

Regional
    Enlargement of the EU on ireland
    Secondary activ in ireland
    Primary activ in ireland
    Sketch map of subcontinental
    Culture in subcont
    Tertiary activ in subcont
    Urban growth in a european region
    Secondary activ in european region
    Primary activities in european region

Human
    Land use theory models
    Historic settlement os map
    Land use and development
    Migration
    Overpopulation
    Urban growth in developed economies

Geoecology
    Influence of climate on the characteristics of a biome
    Human impact on soil
    How plant and animal life adapts to the biome

If you learn that you will 100% be f**ked, na i joke you have the core predictions down. Not 100% covered but only wont be if you are very unlucky on the day
    yoyojc wrote: »
    Please can someone clarify that is it ok to use a Hot Desert Biome when discussing a biome I have studied and it's characteristics?

I'd really appreciate it!

hot deset is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

RoRo979 wrote: »
    If you learn that you will 100% be f**ked, na i joke you have the core predictions down. Not 100% covered but only wont be if you are very unlucky on the day

hot deset is fine
    What else would you suggest learning

Pacman96 wrote: »
    What else would you suggest learning

its anyways guess, you have all the stuff which should be learnt but they could throw in essays which you wouldnt have really bothered with. Formation igneous, formaton metamorphic, characteristics of biome. Positive/Negative Biome. If you have all that list covered fully id just expand a little bit to ensure full safety.

Need someones help for geoecology:
    Adaptations plant and animals to soil and climate
    headins are:
    plant climate
    plant soil
    animal climate and soil

however my plant adapting to soil is weak. Could i do basically a characteristics essay and do:
    Climate
    Soil
    Plant and animal adaption to both?

also human activity on soil erosion Headings are:
    Overcropping
    overgrazing
    deforestation
    desertification

my desertification is weak, any other titles which could be used, preferable linked to latosol soils

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JohnDunne

Sorry for the confusing title but here's what I mean:

One of my aspects for the Sustainable Dev essay is about Iceland and geothermal energy. If I do a physical essay on Iceland (Human interaction with rock cycle) will the examiner penalise me for it, mentioning the same points in my 80m essay?

Just worried it could be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rionakearney

Can I get away with not knowing earthquakes/volcanoes/folding&faulting/plate tectonics?
    I really won't get time to do them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Can I get away with not knowing earthquakes/volcanoes/folding&faulting/plate tectonics?
    I really won't get time to do them :(

You'd be well lucky to get away with that!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rionakearney

You'd be well lucky to get away with that!!!!

I knowww! Just don't have time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Elaine_S

Hi guys,

So for Human Environment I'm trying to narrow down the amount of essays to learn by process of elimination from last years exam papers, I have it down to these 6 titles:

1. Discuss the causes of overpopulation referring to examples you have studied.
    2. Discuss the effects of overpopulation referring to examples you have studied.
    3. Describe and explain the changing land use patterns in an urban area that you have studied.
    4. Examine 2 of the main problems created by the continued pace of urban growth in a region that you have studied.
    5. Problems can develop as urban centres expand and grow. Discuss this statement with reference to one developing world city that you have studied.
    6. As cities expand they impact on the surrounding areas. Discuss this statement with reference to example(s) that you have studied.

Any advice on any that could be left out? Or one likely to come up that isn't in my list?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ADowling

CFP,CAP, MNC you have studied, Conflict between local and global interests for the economic elective.

Rocks (Limestone, Human interaction with Rock Cycle)

Feature of erosion (Waterfall)

Soil Option, Characteristics of a named Soil, plant/animal adaptations in a named Biome, Characteristics of a named biome

Urban growth/development of Dublin/Paris for Regional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Can Docklands be used as land use changing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement