Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Geography HL 2015 - predictions, guesses and discussion ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Can I get away with not knowing earthquakes/volcanoes/folding&faulting/plate tectonics?
    I really won't get time to do them :(

do some research on exam papers, most year only 1 q comes up on them, every now and then 2. But you will defo be covered without it. Im leaving them out

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JohnDunne

Anyone know if you repeat SRPs (i.e. talk about Iceland as human interaction w. surface processes AND bring it up in the 80m essay) - will you be penalised? Is the examiner allowed to not count same SRPs on one paper? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

JohnDunne wrote: »
    Anyone know if you repeat SRPs (i.e. talk about Iceland as human interaction w. surface processes AND bring it up in the 80m essay) - will you be penalised? Is the examiner allowed to not count same SRPs on one paper? Just wondering.

i Wouldnt know but i would say you could. Maybe word it differently, worth a shot imo. I have more or less the same essay for human interaction with rock and conflict of interest. Im sure others use logging in brazil as conflict of interest and then logging as interation with biome.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

What aspects would one use for human activities altering biomes?

Like would you do:

Deforestation
    Acid rain (industrial)
    Intensive agriculture

?

Is that all they could ask regarding the last chapter? They'd hardly ask you to focus the entire essay on, for example, deforestation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

What aspects would one use for human activities altering biomes?

Like would you do:

Deforestation
    Acid rain (industrial)
    Intensive agriculture

?

Is that all they could ask regarding the last chapter? They'd hardly ask you to focus the entire essay on, for example, deforestation?

We talk about deforestation, settlement, intensive agriculture and industrialisation and how they have altered the desert biome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

JohnDunne wrote: »

Probably depends on the examiner honestly. Some examiners correct papers by a question by question basis, i.e correct all Q1's at once, then Q2's etc etc.. If that's the case the examiner will probably have forgotten what you said exactly in another question, and you'll probably get the marks..

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

If I learn human interaction with soil, characteristics of a biome and factors that effect soil for geoecology will i be covered for at least one essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MariaW4794

For the concept of a region question: examine how socio-economic factors can be used to define a region, with references to the examples you have studied, is that about the sambre-Meuse valley and drogheda?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 podisyc

How many pages would be good for the biome question. I'm getting in three and a half but its eating away at my time. Too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

podisyc wrote: »
    How many pages would be good for the biome question. I'm getting in three and a half but its eating away at my time. Too much?

Im doing 3 and a bit , it takes me 28-30 min to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveMc90

Can anybody tell me what came up in the examcraft mock in :
    Core
    regional
    economic electives
    geoecology

Or if someone could email me it either , it would be a great indicator comnmbing the DEB mock and the examcraft one

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MaryHannah

Any ideas on what essays to learn for geoecology? Beyond confused

DaveMc90 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me what came up in the examcraft mock in :
    Core
    regional
    economic electives
    geoecology

Or if someone could email me it either , it would be a great indicator comnmbing the DEB mock and the examcraft one

Core:
    - Plate boundaries
    - isotatic processes
    - landform development
    - rock cycle
    - landscape of sedimentary rocks
    - human activities with surface processes operating on a landscape

Regional:
    - Irish agriculture
    - sub continental growth of urban area
    - tertiary European
    - population distribution sub continental
    - peripheral economic European
    -cultural divisions

Economic:
    - economic development on map
    - globalisation
    - renewable energy
    -European Union
    -developed economy
    -local and global interests

Geoecology:
    - human activity on soil
    - characteristics of one Irish soil
    - climatic and soil characteristics on biome and show how they influenced either flora or fauna

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ChloeMarrinan

Can someone please narrow down what they think will come in in the Regional section? I don't even know where to start on what to focus on and such a variety of questions can be asked, totally relying on predictions at this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Can someone please narrow down what they think will come in in the Regional section? I don't even know where to start on what to focus on and such a variety of questions can be asked, totally relying on predictions at this point!

I'm covering-
    concept of a region
    Urban region, Dublin Paris Los Angeles
    GDA- P, S , T
    Paris, P , S, T
    Growth of EU/Impact
    South-West U.S.A P, S , T

hopefully i have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

This is what i'm going over right now for regional and physical, anyone able to tell me what I should be adding or what else is vital to know ? And do I really need to learn about the plate tectonics or can I leave it?

Physical:
    -Rock/ Human Interaction=Tara Mines
    -Weathering and Erosion
    -Karst Landscapes
    -River landforms, rejuvenation, isostacy, 3 gorges dam

Regional:
    -BMW and Climatic Region
    -GDA
    -The Paris Basin
    The Mezzogiorno
    -Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Slim1996

podisyc wrote: »

You can get the full 80 marks within 2 pages, condense what you write

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I have a question.
    In the 2010 geography paper on Q11 they asked to:

B. Explain 2 methods used to overcome traffic congestion. Use examples you have studied in your answer
    C. Discuss problems in an urban developing center.

I'm doing Sao Paulo for the developing center but traffic congestion is half of my answer, would I be able to repeat the information from B in my C answer or would I have to come up with new information :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Right fellow students I'm struggling here on the following questions and don't know what to write about. Starting to panic so help is appreciated.

Land Use Models
    Land Use zones in city
    Planning strategies in rural areas

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

Do I need to learn both The paris Basin and Mezzogiorno or just learn one of them ?

• Advertisement

Any essays on brown earth soils for geoecology please? My teacher gave the worst notes ever and I'm leaving it very last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

gracew wrote: »
    Any essays on brown earth soils for geoecology please? My teacher gave the worst notes ever and I'm leaving it very last minute

Yeah same actually need it badly

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SeamusMcG

Hello,
    I'm 17 and doing my leaving this Wednesday , I am wondering something about the geography paper.

For the long questions , I have to answer a total of 4questions each containing 3 under different topics, I would like to know am I able to attempt 5/6 if I had time, and will they mark me on the best one ? or will they only correct 4 ?

Thanks for any help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

ive just finished typing up a lot of 30 out of 30 well written essays for:
    patterns and process's in human environment

what do you think will come up for regional?
    not going to emphasize much on primary/secondary/tertiary for mezziogiorno.
    i'll do sketch map of india / scania and mezzogiorno.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

ive just finished typing up a lot of 30 out of 30 well written essays for:
    patterns and process's in human environment

Agriculture in Europe
    Impact of EU expansion on Ireland
    Cultural Regions
    Tertiary sub continental
    Growth of urban centre

Do you have anything on land use/changing land use? Might be able to help each other out if you want anything of mine.

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    Agriculture in Europe
    Impact of EU expansion on Ireland
    Cultural Regions
    Tertiary sub continental
    Growth of urban centre

Do you have anything on land use/changing land use? Might be able to help each other out if you want anything of mine.

Yeah i've land use changes in an urban region.
    CBD & Transition zones!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

Any chance you'd be able to send them to me? Really struggling to get 30 srprs! Would really appreciate it! Anything you need?

Ok give me a few mins!

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    Any chance you'd be able to send them to me? Really struggling to get 30 srprs! Would really appreciate it! Anything you need?

Land Use Zones In Cities

CBD

The CBD is located in the centre of an urban area. It's the most desirable location for shops and offices. This is due to it's accessibility ( all routes meet in city-centre ) and the high number of customers visiting the area.

Rents in the CBD are high because there is a lot of competition for land in the CBD.
    Consequently buildings are high-rise multi-story buildings that have more than one functions!
    ( ground floor used as a shoe shop that depends on passing trade and attractive display)
    ( 2nd floor used as an accountancy firm )
    ( 3rd floor may be an apartment )
    In Dublin the CBD includes the area stretching from Grafton Street across the River Liffey to O'Connell street.

Land use in the CBD changes over years as the urban area grows. The changes in land use in the CBD occur so that maximum profit can be gained from rents collected for the buildings there. So we see that in Dublin many old inner city residences that were built on the last century are now redeveloped into modern office blocks eg Merrion Street

Buildings that were once well situated in the CBD have now changed their function to better suit the needs of the modern city eg Old Jervis street hospital was replaced by a shopping centre and new hospitals are located on the outskirts of the city.
    This is proof that land use in CBD changes over time.

Transition Zone

Another land use zone found in any city is the transition zone.
    This zone lies just beyond the CBD and is close to or part of old inner city area.
    It contains a mix of old terraced housing that may have fallen into despair and old factory buildings that may be vacant since the factory operations have been relocated to cheaper sites in the suburbs.
    In Dublin the transition zone stretches along the quays between Smithfield and O2 arena.
    Land use change in the transition zone is very common.

Taking place in 2 forms:
    Urban Renewal
    ( Keeps land use same as buildings upgraded )
    ( Old decaying flats are re-developed into apartments as part of urban renewal programme )

Urban Redevelopment
    ( Land use changed )
    ( In Dublin old industrial sites and warehouses have been re developed into apartments, business, retail and recreational centres eg Temple Bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

What grade do you think I'd be able to get knowing just these topics?

PHYSICAL:

Waterfall & Sandspit (features of erosion and deposition)
    Earthquakes
    Isostatic
    Karst Landscape
    Rock Cycle - Sedimentary
    The 3 Gorges Dam

REGIONAL:

Primary Activity in The Paris Basin
    Primary Activity in Brazil
    Outline map of Ireland, Brazil and Mezzogiorno
    Tourism

ECONOMIC:

Language in Belgium