Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Geography HL 2015 - predictions, guesses and discussion ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Bourke97 wrote: »
    Hey guys! Just wondering if learning plate tectonics, earthquakes and volcanoes, all rock with human interaction and landforms of coastal erosion and deposition and then human interaction e.g the sea with the groynes?? Is this enough? Oh and do I need to know about batholiths, dykes etc for long questions or just for short questions?

Thats enough for physical!
    Add in sedimentary and metamorphic and you're sorted for that section!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

Can anyone tell me if i'm covered or do should I add in some things? Aiming for a C.

Physical:
    -Rocks/Human Interaction = Tara Mines
    -Weathering and Erosion
    -Karst Landscapes
    -River landforms, rejuvenation, isostacy, 3 Gorges Dam

Regional:
    -The Paris Basin (Map, P + S + T)
    -Brazil (Map, P + S + T, Population - Migration etc.

Elective:
    -Population Density and distribution
    -Overpopulation
    -Migration... Rural-Urban... Impact on Donor/Host
    -Settlement.. Historic, Patterns of Rural, Devp. of Town
    -Urban Problems... Developed/Developing world.

+ Biome

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bourke97

Thats enough for physical!
    Add in sedimentary and metamorphic and you're sorted for that section!

Thanks :) and you know for the economic geography, do you think globalisation of developed and developing country, colonisation of developing country, CAP, and the corrib gas field would be enough? I'm aiming for an A like so wanna know if I should learn more? If anyone does Global interdependence what has any of your teachers told ye to study really well?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

marko747 wrote: »
    Thanks for that:) do you happen to know what came up on the mocks for this section?:)

Discuss the argument or and against sustainable development
    Examine the importance of international aid to both the developed and developing world.

Forgot the other, but I'm banking on Aid &/ Deforestation. But because this section is so interesting (as you said), I'll pretty much be ready for whatever is thrown (hopefully!)/
    Thanks :) and you know for the economic geography, do you think globalisation of developed and developing country, colonisation of developing country, CAP, and the corrib gas field would be enough? I'm aiming for an A like so wanna know if I should learn more? If anyone does Global interdependence what has any of your teachers told ye to study really well?

If you look on past page you can find the topics my teacher has told us to covered, and may I ask what you got for mocks in Geography? (If you're a potential for A then I want to look at what you've covered and see if I have them too :p)

Tet2015 wrote: »
    If you look on past page you can find the topics my teacher has told us to covered, and may I ask what you got for mocks in Geography? (If you're a potential for A then I want to look at what you've covered and see if I have them too :p)

Yeah I got a B1 in my mock :) I read what you have on past page. I learned:
    Physical- plate tectonics, earthquakes and volcanoes, how they are predicted and impacts etc, all rocks paying particular attention to sedimentary, and the karst region with the weathering processes! Focus on folding and faulting also, they might be asked :)

Regional:
    I've learned everything on BMW, GDA, Paris and Mezzogiorno! India also done everything paying particular attention to culture :)

Economic:
    I'm doing globalisation of a developed and developing country(MNC's linked in with this) colonisation of a developing country and its impacts, CAP( only EU policy I'm learning) and then I'm learning corrib gas field :)

global interdependence:
    I was going to learn NGO's with the aid debate, sustainable development just in general( not paying much attention to it) and then all of the environmental issue(global warming etc.)

Think I should pay attention to anything else or leave anything out would be great haha :) thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

Can someone help me with the short questions please? My teacher never went through the information we need for them and I'm trying to get a high B but at the moment the short questions and bringing me down a lot of marks, thank you!

gracew wrote: »
    Can someone help me with the short questions please? My teacher never went through the information we need for them and I'm trying to get a high B but at the moment the short questions and bringing me down a lot of marks, thank you!

What do you need help with? :)

Just reading through all the posts and I do India as a sub-continenta region! I absolutely hate it and I dunno why but would tertiary, culture and population distribution and Calcutta be enough?? And I've everything learned for BMW,GDA, Paris and Mezzogiorno ? Would this be enough?? Just the thoughts of looking through India again is just painful! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

Yeah I got a B1 in my mock :) I read what you have on past page. I learned:
    Physical- plate tectonics, earthquakes and volcanoes, how they are predicted and impacts etc, all rocks paying particular attention to sedimentary, and the karst region with the weathering processes! Focus on folding and faulting also, they might be asked :)

Regional:
    I've learned everything on BMW, GDA, Paris and Mezzogiorno! India also done everything paying particular attention to culture :)

Economic:
    I'm doing globalisation of a developed and developing country(MNC's linked in with this) colonisation of a developing country and its impacts, CAP( only EU policy I'm learning) and then I'm learning corrib gas field :)

global interdependence:
    I was going to learn NGO's with the aid debate, sustainable development just in general( not paying much attention to it) and then all of the environmental issue(global warming etc.)

Think I should pay attention to anything else or leave anything out would be great haha :) thanks!!

What about Economic Development for Econommic section, it comes up every year. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it has something to do with Southern Spain and tourism?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

any1 have any notes on the american south west ? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Elaine_S

Just reading through all the posts and I do India as a sub-continenta region! I absolutely hate it and I dunno why but would tertiary, culture and population distribution and Calcutta be enough?? And I've everything learned for BMW,GDA, Paris and Mezzogiorno ? Would this be enough?? Just the thoughts of looking through India again is just painful! :(

Growth and distribution of population in a Continental / Sub-Continental region was on last years paper, so hopefully won't come up again this year!

• Advertisement

Tet2015 wrote: »
    What about Economic Development for Econommic section, it comes up every year. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it has something to do with Southern Spain and tourism?

Ehh i honestly don't know 😱 I've only ever learned what I've written down and it's seems to tie me over! But go ahead and learn that economic development because it could be the one question that brings me down and you getting the full marks :) I don't like India either so I've condensed that down to just learning population, culture and tertiary activities and learning the development of Calcutta which I think one of these is guaranteed:) but you go with your gut to what you think will come up and I wish you the best of luck in your Exams :)
    Elaine_S wrote: »
    Growth and distribution of population in a Continental / Sub-Continental region was on last years paper, so hopefully won't come up again this year!

Yeah you could be right, watch out for culture and tertiary activities! But also Calcutta Also hasn't been asked in a while! I don't think they'd ask about primary or secondary activities for India! What do you think might come up for it? Are you learning all of it??

Does anyone know a website that has all diagrams that are needed for physical or one with maps of brazil, paris basin and mezzogiorno ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rockerdude15

Does economic development mean to go through primary secondary and tertiary and basically explained them?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kelly8249

Anyone have any essay on population dynamics of ireland and growth pleaseeeee!!!!!!

POPULATION DISTRIBUTION IN AN IRISH REGION

E.g. The West Region

-The population density of the West of Ireland is 30 people p/km². This is low by EU standards, and have that of the population density of the Republic of Ireland.

-Population density varies in the West region. Rural areas tend to have a small and declining pop. density while urbanised areas such as Galway city tend to have a large and growing population density.

-The population of the West region - now approximately 420,000 - fell steadily throughout the 20th century due to a few reasons.

-Push factors encouraged out migration from rural areas which led to rural depopulation. Such factors included a lack of jobs and adequate services available. More woman than men left, because in general men of tended to inherit the family home and farm.

-This out migration led to low marriage rates in the West, and thus low birth rates, resulting in further depopulation of thee rural areas.

-This outmigration was so heavy in some areas that shops, schools, pubs and clubs found it difficult to survive.

-A decline in such service caused even more people to leave. Such extreme depopulation has the potential to destroy rural communities.

-A 'brain drain' also affects the W. region. NUIG is the only university, and often younger people must pursue third level courses elsewhere in Ireland.

-Outmigration of youth hinders economic development. Many work and study abroad, and thus are not paying taxes to the government.

-Between 1999 and 2008, Ireland experienced an economic boom. ie The Celtic Tiger. This temporarily reversed migration tends.

-In migration exceeded outmigration, and the population of the W. region grew 18%. The highest concentration of this growth was in Galway city.

-The major economic recession of 2008 reversed these trends. Out migration once again increased again, and thus the depopulation of the W. region.

-The government tried to stimulate growth in the W. via the National Spacial Strategy. This identified growth centres around Ireland as 'hubs' or 'gateways'.

-The 'Leader Programme Scheme' provided grants to local business people, and local groups who were involved in job creation schemes.

What do you need help with? :)

When they ask about the weather like the types, the stuff about high and low pressure and then the ordnance survey maps and the aerial photograph? And for your regional I'd do the impact of EU expansion on Ireland just to be safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Would I be okay with the following and if I'm missing something big in any of them that's hotly tipped tell me. Thanks.

Physical - sedimentary/metamorphic/human interaction with rivers/rock cycle./the Rock cycle/plate tectonics distribution of volcanoes/earthquakes/fold mountains

Regional - P-S-T -- Ireland/P-S-T --Paris/P-S-T -- India. Culture india/ climatic/cultural/geomorphological regions. Imapct of EU enlargement/ growth of dublin/growth of Paris

Human - overpopulation/ urban problems/ effects of rural to urban migration/patterns/ migration policy

Georcology- humans alter biome/humans interfere with soil characteristics/ characteristics of a biome/ adaptation of flora fauna/ influence of climate on characteristics of biome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Elaine_S

Yeah you could be right, watch out for culture and tertiary activities! But also Calcutta Also hasn't been asked in a while! I don't think they'd ask about primary or secondary activities for India! What do you think might come up for it? Are you learning all of it??[/QUOTE]

Factors that influence secondary activities was also on last years papers. Hopefully I'll be okay with primary, tertiary, culture for India :-/ So much to do , so little time left!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭KatieG6

Anyone know if this is ok to learn? Or is there anything I should add in. Mainly relying on predictions at this stage. :/

Regional-Sub continental (Brazil)
    *Agriculture
    *Tourism
    *Urban Growth
    *Culture

European (Mezz/P.B) -
    *Urban Growth
    *Industry
    *Agriculture
    *Tourism
    *Teritary

Ireland
    *Ireland + EU
    *Industry
    *Primary activities
    *Tourism

Physical:
    *River Landforms
    *Impact of humans on rivers
    *Limestone formation
    *Isostatic Processes

Human:
    *Overpopulation
    *Landuse (Hoyts sector)
    *Historic settlement

Geoecology:
    *How humans accelerate soil
    *Characteristics of biome

KatieG6 wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is ok to learn? Or is there anything I should add in. Mainly relying on predictions at this stage. :/

*Agriculture
    *Tourism
    *Urban Growth
    *Culture

European (Mezz/P.B) -
    *Urban Growth
    *Industry
    *Agriculture
    *Tourism
    *Teritary

Ireland
    *Ireland + EU
    *Industry
    *Primary activities
    *Tourism

Physical:
    *River Landforms
    *Limestone formation
    *Isostatic Processes

Human:
    *Overpopulation
    *Landuse (Hoyts sector)
    *Historic settlement

Geoecology:

I'm learning the exact same thing so I'm sure it's fine, just a bit worried about the 80 markers

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

KatieG6 wrote: »

*Agriculture
    *Tourism
    *Urban Growth
    *Culture

European (Mezz/P.B) -
    *Urban Growth
    *Industry
    *Agriculture
    *Tourism
    *Teritary

Ireland
    *Ireland + EU
    *Industry
    *Primary activities
    *Tourism

Physical:
    *River Landforms
    *Limestone formation
    *Isostatic Processes

Human:
    *Overpopulation
    *Landuse (Hoyts sector)
    *Historic settlement

Geoecology:

I wouldnt go in without knowing sedimentary and metamorphic rocks ! Sketch map of a subcontinental region,migration too ! Other than that it looks fine and you should be find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

The 2008 marking scheme doesn't have the short question answer in it :mad:
    Why must you do this SEC?

That and I hate doing geography, takes up about half of my day studying :(
    I'll be so happy once Friday is over!

Can anyone tell me if i'm covered or do should I add in some things? Aiming for a C.

Physical:
    -Rocks/Human Interaction = Tara Mines
    -Weathering and Erosion
    -Karst Landscapes
    -River landforms, rejuvenation, isostacy, 3 Gorges Dam

Regional:
    -The Paris Basin (Map, P + S + T)
    -Brazil (Map, P + S + T, Population - Migration etc.

Elective:
    -Population Density and distribution
    -Overpopulation
    -Migration... Rural-Urban... Impact on Donor/Host
    -Settlement.. Historic, Patterns of Rural, Devp. of Town
    -Urban Problems... Developed/Developing world.

+ Biome

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Are you covered for regional if you learn Primary, Secondary and Tertiary for all the regions

OMGeary wrote: »
    Are you covered for regional if you learn Primary, Secondary and Tertiary for all the regions

Yeah your covered but you also need to know population distribution! And culture e.g. Gaeltacht region and culture in India

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Paddyg96

Someone help please!

I have notes on two kinds of each economic activity for every region

e.g I have tourism and transport for tertiary activities....

do I need to know both or could I effectively half my workload and just learn one from each?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Paddyg96 wrote: »
    Someone help please!

do I need to know both or could I effectively half my workload and just learn one from each?

i only learn one for each. They can ask for 1, or they ask teritart activites where you can still talke about 1. I do transport Ireland, Transport,Paris and Tourisim India

Paddyg96 wrote: »
    Someone help please!

You would need to know both because we might be unfortunate enough to be asked a question on only one of them like transport! But if you learn both and your asked about two tertiary then you can break it up and get full marks because you'll have plenty of srp's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

If I were to learn 3-4 geocology essays, which one should I be focusing on?

Cheerios wrote: »

Characteristics of biome with adaptions, human interaction with soil, human interaction with biome and characteristics of one soil type

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Paddyg96

Cheerios wrote: »

You're better off just learning off all the facts and making up an essay on the day imo

for biomes charctersitics and adaptations are being tipped

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement