Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends doing J1 im on holiday

Options
  • 15-05-2015 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

My friends are all spending this summer in New York on j1 visas, I can't get the summer off work but I was planning on flying out on Wednesday with with them and staying for a month, I have no intention of working while I'm there and have flights booked back home already.

Is there a risk I could be prevented from entry because they think I'm trying to circumvent the j1 fee?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Nope, they may ask how much money you have / how you're planning to fund your stay, but as long as you have a reasonable answer or are able to prove how much money you're taking you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

My friends are all spending this summer in New York on j1 visas, I can't get the summer off work but I was planning on flying out on Wednesday with with them and staying for a month, I have no intention of working while I'm there and have flights booked back home already.

Is there a risk I could be prevented from entry because they think I'm trying to circumvent the j1 fee?

For one thing, you'll be passing through immigration and customs separately from them - so as far as CBP, you are not with them. You're not anything illegal by wanting to go to the US for a month.

My own policy with them, as with anyone with authority in the US is the following: Do not answer any question you are not asked. Only answer the exact question the ask you in one sentence, as that is all they want to know - if you waffle, they'll get suspicious. If they want to know something, they'll ask you.

They ask you how long you'll be there for? Tell them the date your flight is booked back. What will be doing? Meeting with friends and touring. Do you have enough money? Tell them what you have access to (including your credit limit)

The odds are, they'll ask you questions one and two, ask you for your finger prints and picture, and you'll be through.

Advertisement