Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compenation over length of phone repair

Options
  • 15-05-2015 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi All,

The company I have a problem with is Carphone Warehouse and it's a store in the Cork area.

My problem is to do with my phone. It stopped working for me on Thursday 2nd of April 2015 and as it currently stands the phone is still being repaired by Carphone Warehouse. The loss of my phone has meant that i have had to go back and use a Nokia 3510 because there was no other phone in my house and the shop said it wasn't their responsibility to provide me with a replacement phone for the time it was being repaired as I didn't have insurance even though the phone was under warranty of 12 months. The phone was bought on the 2nd of October 2014. So exactly six months in the phone packed up as in it switched off and has never regained life.

The phone went up to the store and it was sent away for repair. The staff in the store have been lovely to deal with but the problem appears to be further up the line and they can't get the job to move on.

On the 10th of April it said requesting part on the online checker yet a quick look again tonight and it still hasn't moved forward and the store told me tonight that the part won't be in stock and it will be ordered in for the end of May which is no good to me as I will be in America then.

Below are the dates I have rang them:

8th, 15, 18, 22, 26,29 April
    1, 5, 7, 11, 13, 14 May

I have been dealt with nicely on the phone by the store but again this won't get me a phone back.

I have even engaged via twitter dm but again no luck in hurrying my phone up. They say 28 days is their turnover time but that has elapsed today. do I have any right's for compensation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Under consumer law any redress must be performed without significant inconvenience to the consumer. Normally you have to allow the seller to repair or replace a product but if a repair or replacement is not practical or is taking too long you can seek a refund. Imo 28 days and waiting is far too long especially when there is no end in sight. I'd be looking for a replacement phone or a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Is there not like a 28 day rule where if it's not repaired within that space it should be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Is there not like a 28 day rule where if it's not repaired within that space it should be replaced
    No. It comes down to what a court might consider reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

ssmith6287 wrote: »

The shop itself may have a policy like this in place. Either way 28 days is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Thanks for all the feedback. The 28 day rule applies for the company who must make a reasonable effort for replacement, repair and refund the faulty good under the sale and supply of goods and services act 1980. I have contacted the company again through all their various outlets store, phone, email, twitter again today and they appear to have no manager working anywhere so they are not authorised to do anything due to management clearance.

I have found out that the manager is working only 9-10 tomorrow in my local store so I will be sitting outside the shop at 8.50 waiting for him.

Fingers crossed this will be sorted if not it looks like I will have to go small claims court as I have informed the company as it is within my rights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement