Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willow Tree

Options
  • 15-05-2015 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have this willow tree in the back, the bottom of the pot is cut off so as the roots can go deep. However, the tree is not stable, its leaving one side, and blows about a lot in the wind. Any ideas on how to stabalise this?

Was thinking of some sort of screw thing (like you get for this washing lines that screw into ground), put these either side and tie the tree to this.. Where can ya get these?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi,

Have this willow tree in the back, the bottom of the pot is cut off so as the roots can go deep. However, the tree is not stable, its leaving one side, and blows about a lot in the wind. Any ideas on how to stabalise this?

Was thinking of some sort of screw thing (like you get for this washing lines that screw into ground), put these either side and tie the tree to this.. Where can ya get these?

Any ideas?

take it out of the pot and plant it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Nope :) Would probably kill the tree

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

How about building a wooden planter around it, about 2ft squareish, and up to the height of the soil at the top of the pot, removing the pot, and filling planter with soil.
    Would give stability, and allow you to drive a stake in next to it for support.

Yeah thanks that's an idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Take my word for it, it's not that easy to kill a willow.

You probably could remove from its container and plant in the open ground, if you're careful.
    But we have to ask, why is it in that container in the first place?

-- because willow roots travel a distance from their parent tree, and they also suck a lot of moisture from the ground, so it is NOT recommended to plant them too close to buildings, and that might be why it was left in the pot originally.

The "enclosure" suggested above sounds like a good compromise to me.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

It was originally in a pot, then it got very large so I cut the bottom of the pot so roots could spread..
    Think Im just gonna cement around the bottom of the pot this should hold it in place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Between Oct to April smash the pot, dig out a hole below the roots, and replant the root ball below ground level. Are you sure its a willow, the leaves look very broad for one? Some sort of "weeping" tree anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Looks like a Kilmarnock willow to me.

I would be inclined to lift the plant. Dig down into the soil about a foot out from the centre of the stem.

something like this:

Oak-Rescue-6.jpg

I would then dig the hole deeper to be able to contain rootball and pot.
    I would then cut off the pot.
    Then backfill the hole to cover the exposed rootball and pot, all to be reburied.

The existing point of the top of the pot should now be planted level with the surrounding ground. Nothing other than an oblique stake will do the job of keeping the rootball in place (a stakes job). The stake can then be removed easily in future years without damaging the roots.

The finished job should look something like this:

PUB0006272_551363.jpg

use a rubber tree tie:
    Cushion%20Tree%20Tie-400x400.jpg

And give the plant plenty of water fro a year or two until it settles in.
    As mentioned above probably best done in the dormant season.

Advertisement