Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

how do you drive?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

CJhaughey wrote: »
    99% of my riding is rural back roads and the amount of hazards present every single day is staggering, potholes, animals on the road, farm machinery, substances on the road (gravel, slurry, mud etc), not even mentioning other drivers of all kinds of vehicles.
    So I ride like I want to arrive alive and see my family when I get back.
    This is still no guarantee but riding defensively can help.

Same. A good few years of car driving on these roads gives you the experience of what can be around a corner. I've had a few close shaves even on the pushbike, going round the corner and some auld lad has a load of cones out because he's cutting his hedge, or suddenly around this time of year there's a heap or straw or grain or seed on the road, or a big mucky skidmark makes your day a bit more complicated.

There's a set of twisty roads I go on the odd time commuting, between celbrige and barberstown, culminating in an almost 90 degree completely blind corner. I'd say I've gone round it at 40kph max and that's still hairy, and almost always with a lad in a car parked up my hole.

I have to wonder how much a attention lads who do mostly city driving are paying. It's a completely different game once you get outside town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

These will slow you down if you have any sense.

Tractor_SilageFork.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Generally speaking I drive at road speed limits. Especially on non motorway and back roads. It's not me I'm worried about, it's everyone else. I've been riding 14 years and had two nasty accidents, both the fault of other drivers.

If you want to drive at speed over the limit do a track day.

Now as for OTT acceleration, well, I'm all up for that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm too worried about road hazards to go fast into a corner. Most of my recreational riding is done on roads I don't know. Once I went to fast into a corner that was tighter than you thought and ended up in the oncoming lane or into a field was enough to realise how easy you can end up dead.
    I know enough people that died on bikes, and another couple in wheelchairs. Fúck that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CJhaughey wrote: »
    99% of my riding is rural back roads and the amount of hazards present every single day is staggering, potholes, animals on the road, farm machinery, substances on the road (gravel, slurry, mud etc), not even mentioning other drivers of all kinds of vehicles.
    So I ride like I want to arrive alive and see my family when I get back.
    This is still no guarantee but riding defensively can help.

This in a nutshell, between weddings and births I want to be there for them all. My bike brings a smile to my face i dont want it to bring fear. Theres enough of that out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

Personally I think its different strokes for different folks. Personally I like cruising alone taking in the view. While others like to put the head down and burn up the road. Drive at what you feel most comfortable at.

Advertisement