Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a UK Number and keeping Irish one

Options
  • 15-05-2015 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm over and back to the UK with work frequently and I currently have an Irish vodafone account.

However, I'd like to be able to give out a UK number when in the UK, and retain the Irish number in Ireland.

Is the only way to do that to have 2 separate phones? (or a dual SIM phone)

Or is there a way to get an account of one of the providers that operates in both countries, and have 2 numbers attached to one phone??

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Yes, or look into Virtual Sim which allows you to have more numbers without changing simcard.
    But you need to ask Vodafone if they support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Patrickof wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm over and back to the UK with work frequently and I currently have an Irish vodafone account.

However, I'd like to be able to give out a UK number when in the UK, and retain the Irish number in Ireland.

Is the only way to do that to have 2 separate phones? (or a dual SIM phone)

Or is there a way to get an account of one of the providers that operates in both countries, and have 2 numbers attached to one phone??

Paddy

The easiest solution for me was to get a dual SIM phone. Irish SIM and Three UK SIM. The Three UK PAYG is amazing value (1p/2p/3p) plus 4G is for free as well.... As long as you make a charge on it (text/call/data) once within 180 days the credit doesn't expire. Just go to a Three UK shop - pick your number from the number of SIM packs they have and you have to buy £10 of credit up front. My £10 credit has lasted me nearly 12 months. If needed you can buy a voucher in a newsagent - min £10 for that. (Min online topup is £5 but can only top up online with UK registered address card).

Also if you have the UK Three SIM active in Ireland, incoming calls to that UK number are free due to it being 'feel at home' country. Very handy if you need to get someone in the UK to ring you.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

MBSnr wrote: »
    The easiest solution for me was to get a dual SIM phone. Irish SIM and Three UK SIM. The Three UK PAYG is amazing value (1p/2p/3p) plus 4G is for free as well.... As long as you make a charge on it (text/call/data) once within 180 days the credit doesn't expire. Just go to a Three UK shop - pick your number from the number of SIM packs they have and you have to buy £10 of credit up front. My £10 credit has lasted me nearly 12 months. If needed you can buy a voucher in a newsagent - min £10 for that. (Min online topup is £5 but can only top up online with UK registered address card).

Also if you have the UK Three SIM active in Ireland, incoming calls to that UK number are free due to it being 'feel at home' country. Very handy if you need to get someone in the UK to ring you.

Thanks, I did that - got a UK 3 SIM from phonesonline.ie and although it was difficult to top it up from here (Three website insists on a UK reg'd credit card) I managed to buy a top up from another 3rd party website.

I'll pop into a Three shop next week over there and see what else I can do, and maybe grab a Vodafone PAYG also.

I like my HTC One M8 so don't really want to swap to a dual SIM phone, but might have to!

Paddy

Advertisement