Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Date of termination of fixed term lease

Options
  • 15-05-2015 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

Maybe someone is able to help me quickly. Our landlord has decided to sell the house we live in, and wants us out as quickly as possible. I know he cannot get us out before the fixed term of the lease has ended. We have been living there for over six month, and have a few more months to go before the 12 months fixed term will end. Do we have to leave the place on the expiry date of the lease, so he would have to give us formal notice 35 days before that, or does he have to give us notice on that expirey date, and we have 35 days after that?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The landlord can give notice which expires on the termination date, i.e. 35 days before.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

Thank you for that Michael. I have read a little more on Boards, and came accros a post that when you have lived in a house over 6 months, and intend to renew the lease into an Act 4 tenancy after the initial fixed period has gone by, you need to inform your landlord no later than one month before the termination date of the initial lease that you intend to do so, and then he can only give notice when the house is actually sold. Is that also applicable here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Thank you for that Michael. I have read a little more on Boards, and came accros a post that when you have lived in a house over 6 months, and intend to renew the lease into an Act 4 tenancy after the initial fixed period has gone by, you need to inform your landlord no later than one month before the termination date of the initial lease that you intend to do so, and then he can only give notice when the house is actually sold. Is that also applicable here?

No he may give notice because he intends to sell the house. He doesn't have to wait to sell the house.

Advertisement