Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda sting operation against bike theft in Dublin

• 15-05-2015 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭

So apparently the gardai are setting up bait bikes.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-sting-caught-wouldbe-bike-thief-31224642.html
    A FATHER-of-one was caught trying to steal a bicycle that had been planted on a city street by gardai mounting a sting operation, a court heard.

The excuse the defence gave is so ridiculous though that it's not even funny
    Defence Solicitor Declan Fahy said the accused has brought his own bike that day, but gardai said it was further down the street outside Aldi, on the ground and unlocked.

How could Mr Fahy say that with a straight face in court ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,374 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I really hope they release video of each and every arrested scumbag.

:D

In the Old West, you'd hang for stealin' another man's horse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So apparently the gardai are setting up bait bikes.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-sting-caught-wouldbe-bike-thief-31224642.html

The excuse the defence gave is so ridiculous though that it's not even funny

How could Mr Fahy say that with a straight face in court ?

Brazenly misleading the courts... 200 hours community service. Slap on the wrists to me.

Delighted to hear that Gardaí are carrying out operations like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

endacl wrote: »
    I really hope they release video of each and every arrested scumbag.

:D

In the Old West, you'd hang for stealin' another man's horse...

Yeah, and a horse is just a big hairy animal, you never experience the sense of companionship you get with a bike.

They're not great talkers either.

Although to be fair, in a tight spot, you couldn't eat your bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

check_six wrote: »
    Although to be fair, in a tight spot, you couldn't eat your bike.

Au contraire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Great to hear the Gardai are taking a proactive approach, its well needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The MET in the UK have been doing this for years. Wonderful articles online with their results.

Nice to see it here now also :) ,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It is estimated that between 1959 and 1997, Lotito "had eaten nearly nine tons of metal."
    Lotito's method for eating all of this metal was to break it into small pieces before attempting to eat it. He then drank mineral oil and continued to drink water while swallowing the metal bits. This acted as a lubricant to help the metal slide down his throat. He also had no problem "passing" his unusual diet.

I would guess that this guy had a plumber on speed-dial.

Wonder if he ever expressed a preference for steel bikes, or more exotic materials (carbon fibre, aluminium alloy, titanium, etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Who is Mr Fahy??? (I see now, defence council) doh!

I just hope it was a decent bike so they would be thief really feels like they have missed out on something!!

Where I work, we had three bikes taken in about 2 wks. Same guy each time. Was choosy about his bike (knowledgeable that is) and even took two the same day. Brazen! Carried a bolt cutters. He had a hoody, hi vis, and was caught on camera. Garda dis not know him. I think he may be a bike thief tourist. Comes in, steals a few, hands them to the ringleader, heads off, bikes get shipped out to Sofia or wherever and sold on doneskidealske.bg or what ever!

Advertisement