Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Periodic Inspections for 30% of a building

Options
  • 15-05-2015 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi.

If a client asks for a periodic inspection report for 30% of the building , would this equate to 67% of the total no. of boards within the building, 67% of the circuit within these boards, and 67 % of the accessories on these circuits?

If not , how would " 30 % of the building" be interpreted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I'd imagine he was hoping that you would have a schedule by which every circuit in the building would be inspected over three or maybe four years. But that is just my interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

When I do periodic inspections I state in the notes that I have opened and inspected 30% of all of the outlets, as it is not practical to check connections on every single switch and socket so maybe that is what your client means?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

noddyk wrote: »
    Hi.

If a client asks for a periodic inspection report for 30% of the building , would this equate to 67% of the total no. of boards within the building, 67% of the circuit within these boards, and 67 % of the accessories on these circuits?

If not , how would " 30 % of the building" be interpreted?

I assume that this is for a sizeable installation?

If so a client would expect a detailed SOW (Scope of Work) document to be generated. This document would flesh out exactly what the 30% means by detailing exactly what is required. Once the scope is clearly defined and signed off by the client the work would normally go out to tender to various REC's (Registered Electrical Contractors).

Typically the SOW would have various attachments, primarily consisting of test record sheets that would have to be filled out by the successful REC. These test record sheets would form part of a legal document that would be relied upon should "an incident occur" in a future court case. This is how they weed out the "chancers".

Remember insurance companies take a keen interest in these reports as they can use them to counter claim if they have to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

2011 wrote: »
    Remember insurance companies take a keen interest in these reports as they can use them to counter claim if they have to pay out.

The inspections would probably never be done without the insurance companies looking for the reports.

It's my opinion that the insurance companies do more to drive any health and safety initiatives than the H.S.A. and other almost toothless government organisations. e.g. I doubt anyone would worry about getting penalty points if it didn't cause their premiums to rise. (I'm not knocking the H.S.A., it's more a case of the insurance companies being able to encourage companies by having an immediate direct effect on profits unlike the H.S.A.)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The inspections would probably never be done without the insurance companies looking for the reports.

Most likely the main reason alright.

This is what it is so important to have all of your ducks in a row when carrying out this work. Calibrated test equipment, certified tester, proper paperwork in order etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement