Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade & Retro Kickstarter thread ,

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Fear Effect Sequel

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sushee/fear-effect-sedna

PC/Mac only now, but have already said in the comments that they'll look at console versions if enough backing.

EDIT: PS4 & Xbone versions are now 250k stretch goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Looks like my 5 pack of Arduboys just hit Parcel Motel Dublin :)
    Anyone else back it here and get it delivered today? I didn't get any tracking number from the Kickstarter(there were supposed to send one), but the packet is from Seeed, which makes the Arduboys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Looks like my 5 pack of Arduboys just hit Parcel Motel Dublin :)
    Anyone else back it here and get it delivered today? I didn't get any tracking number from the Kickstarter(there were supposed to send one), but the packet is from Seeed, which makes the Arduboys.

Backed it but hasn't hit my PM yet. Haven't kept up with the community other than not deleting all those emails so will need to see how I can do some programming on it when it does arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Lads, Would love to see what sort of projects you create with those arduboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

A new ZX Spectrum is coming: Spectrum Next! http://www.specnext.com

Lads, Would love to see what sort of projects you create with those arduboys.

To be honest I plan to play some simple games on them. Maybe after I get bored of that I'll see about putting something together myself.

I think Andrew is better at putting code together than me. So maybe he has some more interesting plans :)

Steve X2 wrote: »
    To be honest I plan to play some simple games on them. Maybe after I get bored of that I'll see about putting something together myself.

I think Andrew is better at putting code together than me. So maybe he has some more interesting plans :)

I'll start off with the usual 'Hello World' and go from there. Maybe a simple shmup or endless runner. No idea what it's capable of yet. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'll start off with the usual 'Hello World' and go from there. Maybe a simple shmup or endless runner. No idea what it's capable of yet. :)

A simple 8bit side scrolling shooter might work well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The Uzebox is also running a 8 bit AVR and is a capable of some pretty decent games :)

The Uzebox is also running a 8 bit AVR and is a capable of some pretty decent games :)

The Uzebox is a powerhouse compared to the Arduboy :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just stuck my name down for one of the just announced Pebble Time 2 watches.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-2-time-2-and-core-an-entirely-new-3g-ultra
    I've used the original Pebble for over a year and a half and, aside from an easily fixed screen tearing issue, the watch has been fantastic, the battery life excellent and apps useful.
    Looking forward to this new watch in November, glad a waited a little while before upgrading, although, as I have said, the original Pebble Classic has been really good, particularly after the OS update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How long is the battery life on those things? Are we talking about a daily charge or could you get a week out of it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    How long is the battery life on those things? Are we talking about a daily charge or could you get a week out of it?

My Classic one, which is the original model, gets between 6 and 7 days per charge, and when it runs out of poke, it doesn't shut down, it just becomes a dumb watch, still telling the time until you charge it.
    This model can be had, on Adverts, for as little as €50 in perfect nick, and is well worth the money. link
    None of this charging every night nonsense!
    Plus, as a way to receive notifications it's great, I have the phone on silent in work and can dismiss calls, send replies to SMS, it's great.
    Also, the Nav app is great, displaying the turn by turn instructions from Googlemaps on my phone, meaning I don't have to look at the phone at all when trying to navigate the warren of streets and roads of the Southside!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The next visual compendium book is up on Kickstarter now. Famicom/nes.

SH1te!!

Hello,
    This is a message from Kickstarter’s Integrity team. We're writing to inform you that a project you backed, Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom: a visual compendium, is the subject of an intellectual property dispute.
    The project has been removed from public view until the dispute is resolved, which can take up to 30 days. The project’s funding and the countdown to its deadline have been stopped. If the project becomes available again, the countdown will continue and the new deadline will extend past the original deadline for as much time as the project was unavailable. You can find out more by reading our Copyright Policy and our Trademark Policy.
    Original deadline
    Fri, Jul 1 2016 11:00 pm IST
    Time remaining if project becomes available
    23 hours

I hope they sort it out, was looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Here we go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Good aul Tendo, 2016 and they still have a stick up there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Probably their IP lawyers rather than Nintendo themselves.
    Anywhere there's money to be made from things, you'll find the IP lawyers circling like sharks with a sniff of blood...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Star Lord wrote: »
    Probably their IP lawyers rather than Nintendo themselves.
    Anywhere there's money to be made from things, you'll find the IP lawyers circling like sharks with a sniff of blood...

Without a doubt it's IP lawyers driving it, but I mean c'mon Nintendo, relax the reigns a little. They need some new, more community friendly policies that the lawyers can work from...the way Nintendo act on YouTube is beyond silly. God forbid someone shows a Nintendo game that might encourage sales :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ah yeah, their youtube policies are ridiculous, bordering on the redonkulous.

I think that for these types of books though, it's a bit farcical if the creator hadn't already worked out something with Nintendo, given that they're still a going concern, as opposed to some of the other companies that these kinds of books have been based on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

This is a lot different from the Youtube stuff imo. The creator should be clearing stuff with Nintendo first and if he hasn't it's his own fault, you can't just piggyback on companies, big or small, intellectual property rights these days and expect to get by with the 'Ah Nintendo just leave it fly will ya' stuff. Looks a nice book so hopefully he hasn't shot himself in the foot by not doing all the before work.

This is the message he sent out earlier.

Sam Dyer says:
    Hi
    Nintendo have filed a copyright claim against the campaign. I have taken lots of legal advice prior to launching the campaign plus I also spoke to Nintendo UK. The use of game imagery is completely legal under FAIR USE' law.

I have now made some little tweaks to the campaign to make it even more watertight but I wholeheartedly believe that the book is 100% above board.

WHAT HAPPENS NOW
    Don't panic! The campaign is under review whilst I talk to Nintendo. Your pledge is safe and in the unlikely case I'm unsuccessful, it will go right back to you as it would with any stopped campaign. There's no need to panic and cancel your funding as your money is not at risk.

The campaign is essentially 'frozen' as is the timer. So fingers crossed when we're live again, the clock will start from with 24 hours left and we can complete the campaign.

The whole thing is frustrating but please stick with me. I've invested a lot of time and energy ensuring that this is legal and above board.

Will update you when I have some news.

Sam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If he's using a lot of Nintendo artwork without permission in the book then he kind of doesn't have a leg to stand on in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Hi guys, I've created a more general kickstarter thread In the Cool Pics Vids and Links forum, would be great to see some of you contribute, I know Stevex2 particularly has a keen interest in these things. :)

Cool Inventions / Kickstarters / Crowdfunding Thread

Dont forgot to hit the follow button for the thread, cheers! :)

Meant to post this here a few days ago but forgot - not retro gaming related but maybe some of the folks on here would have an interest - especially those of us that like to fidget. :)

Called the Fidget Cube, their goal was $15,000, they're up over $4m at the minute. Mental. Had to do a Steve_X2 on it myself. :pac:

They just closed the pledges with December delivery dates (no gaurantee we'd get them by then anyway) and created ones for March 2017 due to the demand.

Fidget Cube: A Vinyl Desk Toy

• Advertisement

I grabbed a couple myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

tbh I don't see the appeal (especially at that kind of price), but everyone to their own.

...but everyone to their own.

Exactly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

tbh I don't see the appeal (especially at that kind of price), but everyone to their own.

Do you fidget much with your hands? I guess if you don't it would seem rather pointless.

If you do though it looks like heaven :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do you fidget much with your hands? I guess if you don't it would seem rather pointless.

If you do though it looks like heaven :D

I find myself playing with pens and whatnot when in work doing worky type things. So this seems like it might be a nice new toy :)

• Advertisement

Gotta post this in the general Kickstarter thread seen as Steve X2 is too stuck up to join us in that sub forum! :pac:

Doge wrote: »
    Gotta post this in the general Kickstarter thread seen as Steve X2 is too stuck up to join us in that sub forum! :pac:

Yep :pac:
    A&R for life, there are no other sections.

Been a while but here's a good one:

Commodore 64: For the Love of a Machine
    Format: Book
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wallstrom/commodore-64-for-the-love-of-a-machine?ref=project_link

Includes an exclusive interview with Bob Yannes who created the mighty SID chip and helped design the C64.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Probably mentioned elsewhere and its already 201% funded but

https://unbound.com/books/moreashens
    More Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of

The European computer game market of the early eighties to mid nineties was a thing of terrible beauty. Crazy ideas and potential profit were at the front of publisher’s minds. And quality control was often at the back of their minds, hidden behind a vague memory of that time they fell off their bike and lost their door key.
    In my previous book Terrible Old Games You’ve Probably Never Heard Of I showcased a bevy of amusingly awful titles. And now I’m going to do it again, because what the world needs right now is to know exactly how bad Domain of the Undead for the Atari 8-bit computers was.
    And because I like to confound expectations, the book will be larger than the previous volume yet cost the same! This second excavation of gaming’s buried past will not only unearth more appalling excuses for digital entertainment, but also feature several special interest chapters not based around single specific games. And more guest contributors will be telling us about their most disappointing gaming purchases, so we can feel a bit better the next time we pick up a cheap game on a whim and discover it’s about as much fun as banging your face against a fridge door.
    The core criteria of the games eligible for entry will remain the same. They must have been:
    Released between 1980 and 1995 inclusive
    Released commercially, i.e. sold for money
    Released on a home computer format, not a dedicated games console
    So incredibly poor that it would be almost impossible for a reasonable person to enjoy playing them
    That way we keep out all the ones you’ve heard of a million times in YouTube videos. These are truly obscure and truly dreadful games – the very worst the industry ever offered up. We may have all been disappointed with Aliens Colonial Marines, but it doesn’t seem quite so bad when you’ve spent a few minutes wrestling with the controls of Cisco Heat on the Commodore 64...
    If you’d like a copy of Attack of the Flickering Skeletons: More Terrible Old Games You’ve Probably Never Of , pledge now and we’ll be on the way to making it a reality. Let’s not let these games slip under the radar just because they’re terrible, they’re old and... well... you’ve probably never heard of them.

Advertisement