Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different Wheelsets - derailleur adjustment

Options
  • 15-05-2015 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 sets of wheels, one Ultegra wheelset and one Pro Lite Bracciano 42mm deep wheelset.

If both have an Ultegra 10 speed 11-28 cassette on them, will the derailleur need adjustment when I switch wheels?

Haven't done it yet as I have yet to buy the cassette for the Pro Lite's.

Just wondering how easy is it to swap wheels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I switch between 3 different 10 speed wheels and 3 different (sram) groupsets with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

I swap wheels quite a bit with no issues at all.

I usually run through the gears once I switch and only once or twice I've had to tweak the indexing. Should have no problem whatsover

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Derailleur adjustment isn't a skill I possess without wrecking the indexing.

But it sounds like it's straight forward to swap wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

AlanD wrote: »
    Derailleur adjustment isn't a skill I possess without wrecking the indexing.

But it sounds like it's straight forward to swap wheels

It's actually not that hard to index if needed (assuming there's no under lying issues with the derailleur or cable it should be just a matter of using the barrel adjuster). it took me 10-15 mins to master this.

you won't go wrong following this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbk5RcH0bbQ

Thanks....have actually watched it loads of times. For some reason, I keep messing it up. Something goes wrong with it.

Anyway, they are in good shape now after a mechanic sorted it for me, but don't want to mess it up by swapping wheels. Looks like I'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Will depend on the distance between the outside of the axle nuts (may be hard to visualise and I have no pictures now to explain but try looking at the distance between where the inside of the rear mounts on the frame touch off the axle when the wheel is in place if you get me).

This has caused me issues in the past and I ended up putting a rubber o-ring inside the nut to move it out a few mm, ie increase the distance. Note that I don't recommend this. I just did it on a turbo wheel so it wouldnt be of much consequence riding indoors. So if the distances between the nuts are different on each rear wheel you may have indexing problems but nothing a quick fiddle won't fix.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I had problems with the rear derailleur changing between wheels. Basically I'd an old wheel that I'd set up as a dedicated turbo wheel with a different cassette. Going through the gears without adjusting the RD left the RD in the spokes, at a guess the dishing of the wheel on the drive side is different. (Fulcrum 7 & RD80).

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

What width or are there spacers used on the cassette?

So I got my new ultegra 6700 cassette. Same 10 speed 11 28 as on original ultegra wheel. Although I'm sure original cassette is prior version of ultegra cassette.

Fitted the cassette to my pro lites. As expected from above, shifting is fine. But it's very rough. I actually thought the bottom bracket was shot. Swapped wheels over and back and pro lite is definitely riding rough. Original ultegras are fine. And by rough I mean, when pedalling it sounds and feels lumpy.

Could older chain and new cassette be mismatched? Chain is not over stretched, I've measured it.

So wtf is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I exchange wheels periodically and usually do not have access to the lowest gear with one set.
    Thanks....have actually watched it loads of times. For some reason, I keep messing it up. Something goes wrong with it.. ..
    Same here - my LBS has requested that I don't go near it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

So I got my new ultegra 6800 cassette. Same 10 speed 11 28 as on original ultegra wheel. Although I'm sure original cassette is prior version of ultegra cassette.

Fitted the cassette to my pro lites. As expected from above, shifting is fine. But it's very rough. I actually thought the bottom bracket was shot. Swapped wheels over and back and pro lite is definitely riding rough. Original ultegras are fine. And by rough I mean, when pedalling it sounds and feels lumpy.

Could older chain and new cassette be mismatched? Chain is not over stretched, I've measured it.

So wtf is going on
    Ultegra 6800 is 11 speed

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Ultegra 6800 is 11 speed

Sorry, you're right. It's not 6800. Cassette is 10 speed, all good.

So back to roughness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So I got my new ultegra 6700 cassette. Same 10 speed 11 28 as on original ultegra wheel. Although I'm sure original cassette is prior version of ultegra cassette.

So wtf is going on

Did you try using the barrel adjuster to dial out the roughness? If you did and there is no difference then I'd say your chain is slightly worn as is the other cassette and the two of them mate together nicely whereas the new cassette will take time to bed into the slightly worn chain...possibly.

Ok, so I didn't do any adjustments because shifting was spot on, but I'll have a little play and see.

If I get a new chain, will it work poorly with the old cassette then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

having trouble with my shamano front Derailleur it won't move chain across from large to small sprocket ...what do i need to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

fryup wrote: »
    having trouble with my shamano front Derailleur it won't move chain across from large to small sprocket ...what do i need to do?

IME the most common causes for the derailleur failing to drop the chain onto the small ring are either crud obstructing movement (in which case clean and lube it thoroughly, and if sufficiently bad it may need replacement), or a broken spring meaning that the tension to return to the inner limit is no longer present (in which case it's again a replacement).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

fryup wrote: »

It's probably sized. Release the cable and move it a few times manually with your hand. This should free it up. Also when was the last time you changed the outer cable housing? If it's been a while, consider fitting a new cable and outer cable housing.

If that doesn't solve the problem....buy a new bike! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

07Lapierre wrote: »
    It's probably sized. Release the cable and move it a few times manually with your hand. This should free it up. Also when was the last time you changed the outer cable housing? If it's been a while, consider fitting a new cable and outer cable housing.

If that doesn't solve the problem....buy a new bike! :)

i recently changed inners and outers on my bike, my gawd the difference was night and day. you get used to it gradually getting crappier. I have it scheduled for once a year now.

Advertisement