Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Room 101

Options
  • 15-05-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

I think we could do with a Landlord thread specifically to deal with issues and tips.

First up whats the best way to deal with a tenant who always pays late but is very demanding. I.e. asking for things that are well outside the responsibility of the landlord ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I think we could do with a Landlord thread specifically to deal with issues and tips.

First up whats the best way to deal with a tenant who always pays late but is very demanding. I.e. asking for things that are well outside the responsibility of the landlord ?

How late is payment?

Be clear to them that you are only obliged to repair or replace things that are outlined in the regulations.

Don't let them walk all over you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

First part, notice of rent arrears every time. If it leads to a PRTB issue, you have a written record of following the procedure.

Second part, inform them it's not your responsibility.

I know you're probably getting at a tenant who's using the rent as leverage to get the landlord to do certain things for them but I wouldn't put up with any messing. Let them know their rights and responsibilities, because if you let them away with it once they'll keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

How late is payment?

Be clear to them that you are only obliged to repair or replace things that are outlined in the regulations.

Don't let them walk all over you.

From two days to a week everytime. Usually have to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

From two days to a week everytime. Usually have to ask.

If it is 14 days or over you can issue termination.

I would recommend looking up threshold and prtb and get familiar with your rights and obligation to tenant and also tenants obligation to you.

Write a letter each time they are late and have a record.

How long are they tenants.

Maybe if there lease is up soon give them their notice and find a better tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If you're a LL with a letting agent employed, will the letting agent deal with the spurious complaints etc from tenants that may arise which are the tenants responsibility, or will you be contacted every time?

By spurious I mean the likes of a bulb needing replacing or a toilet being blocked. Issues where all that is required is for the tenant to be informed it's their problem

• Advertisement

If it is 14 days or over you can issue termination.

I would recommend looking up threshold and prtb and get familiar with your rights and obligation to tenant and also tenants obligation to you.

Write a letter each time they are late and have a record.

How long are they tenants.

Maybe if there lease is up soon give them their notice and find a better tenant.

once contract is up after a year you cant as far as i aware just get rid or can you? Do they not have more rights to stay on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

once contract is up after a year you cant as far as i aware just get rid or can you? Do they not have more rights to stay on

Non payment of rent is reason enough to start eviction proceedings. 14 day letter of arrears, then notice of termination for non payment of rent.

You can issue as many letters of arrears as you like - once they pay up that notice of arrears is void and normal service resumes. However, you now have the opportunity to build up a history of consistent late rent in the event if goes to PRTB.

Thanks all

Will the new rules been proposed make investing outside of the citys more worthwhile? Longer tenancy periods in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Will the new rules been proposed make investing outside of the citys more worthwhile? Longer tenancy periods in particular.

I still think the ROI will be higher for shorter term city lets.

• Advertisement

I still think the ROI will be higher for shorter term city lets.

such as one bed apartments etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If you're a LL with a letting agent employed, will the letting agent deal with the spurious complaints etc from tenants that may arise which are the tenants responsibility, or will you be contacted every time?

By spurious I mean the likes of a bulb needing replacing or a toilet being blocked. Issues where all that is required is for the tenant to be informed it's their problem

Only if you've got a management contract with them. Letting and managing are two separate services and are billed separately. Many landlords make the mistake of thinking they're the same thing and find themselves abandoned when trouble arises.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you're on the marginal rate of tax for the tenancy anyway- just leave it with a management company- the cost is entirely allowable against rental income- and the net cost is only 40% of the gross........ I know this may not be feasible for smaller landlords- as it is a significant cost- but outsourcing management of the tenancy is an excellent way of insulating yourself from the nitty gritty day-to-day issues that arise (and also a good management company will be very aware of the rights and obligations of tenants and landlords- and more likely to treat the whole transaction on a business basis).

Using rent as 'hostage' to get jobs done that are not the remit of the landlord- is despicable. You're not their mother. If they can't do their own little bits and pieces- perhaps they should revisit whether they are at a stage in their life where they are ready to live independently, or not.........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Vis-a-vis a thread or a subforum specifically for landlords (or indeed a reciprochal one for tenants)- I am not in favour of this approach. Aside from anything else- there are dedicated resources for landlords and/or tenants elsewhere- the whole purpose of this forum is to act as a general forum for both landlords, tenants (and any other interested parties) to discuss issues that arise. Were you to coral landlords into a thread- you'd be excluding a significant number of forum users from discussions. Often someone who can take a step back from a situation- may have a perspective that people who are at the coalface, may not necessarily think of........ It can actually be helpful to get an opposing viewpoint........?

Advertisement