Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSM Referendum - Has Anyone Actually Changed Their Mind? MOD Warning 1st Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Specialun wrote: »
    I was yes but at the moment im leaning towards no

What argument has swayed you to thinking that homosexual couples shouldnt be allowed marry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

To much emotive language on each side makes the whole thing a bit childish to be fair.

Its a joke how one sided the government have been. TD's are now afraid to say their opinion....no posters are been painted or or else tookdown in my area. Its not very demogratic and a bit of irony that an equality vote has gone that way.

Its also annoyed me that if you vote no then your classed as a homophobe..plus the fact that i do t trust the government to legislate correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I haven't changed my mind, still intend to vote yes. The No campaign have acted as expected but tbh I was surprised to find myself thinking less and less of a lot of the Yes side as its gone on. Still, yes from me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Its a joke how one sided the government have been. TD's are now afraid to say their opinion....no posters are been painted or or else tookdown in my area. Its not very demogratic and a bit of irony that an equality vote has gone that way

Ah yes; because politicians are well known for their honesty and candidness. And surely the only reason they're urging people to vote yes is because they're "terrified" of someone calling them names if they let their true feelings be known.

The irony is that we have to vote on an equality issue at all; let alone an equality issue that has virtually zero impact on those who are actually considering or definitely voting no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

To much emotive language on each side makes the whole thing a bit childish to be fair.

I guess there was never going to really be any debate or changing of sides.
    It is really a poll on the current balance of enlightened post catholic Ireland versus those who have yet to progress beyond superstition. Changes of mind, from one side to the other are not what happens.

The enlightened just marvel at the backwardness of their neighbours and how they cannot think freely. The religious are so blinded they lose all reason and end up extraordinary contortions an illogicality to avoid facing reality. A genuine debate on the issue is not possible when one group is incapable of reason on the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I'm not voting for two reasons.

1: I just don't care!
    2: I'm sick of the YES campaign trying to ram their opinions down my throat!!

I even had one girl in work go on a rant to me about why I should vote yes and then ask me WHO she should vote for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

ronivek wrote: »
    Ah yes; because politicians are well known for their honesty and candidness. And surely the only reason they're urging people to vote yes is because they're "terrified" of someone calling them names if they let their true feelings be known.

The irony is that we have to vote on an equality issue at all; let alone an equality issue that has virtually zero impact on those who are actually considering or definitely voting no.

No there afraid of losing votes more than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Patww79 wrote: »
    What changed your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I was yes but at the moment im leaning towards no

Tbh im really disapointed in the ref as a whole. I dont think its been very balanced

Same disappointment here.

I was undecided to start with, at the beginning of the campaign drifted towards yes, but not sur anymore now.

Still keeping my options open but the yes campaign actually managed to push me further away from what they are trying to promote. The intolerance towards a large part of the population is what concerns me. Looks like a bunch of people who are tired of the Church telling them what is morally right or wrong (absolutely fair enough to feel that way), but don't realise that they are themselves doing the same thing and trying impose their own morale values on everyone else (not so fair anymore). When all political parties and all the media are saying the exact same thing, using concepts like equality to give themselves higher morale grounds, and anyone thinking differently is being ostracised, it does scare me away because it makes me think more of totalitarianism than democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

mackeire wrote: »
    I'm not voting for two reasons.

1: I just don't care!
    2: I'm sick of the YES campaign trying to ram their opinions down my throat!!

I even had one girl in work go on a rant to me about why I should vote yes and then ask me WHO she should vote for!

I'm getting turned off by everyone banging on at every opportunity to show how tolerant they are and receive praise from their peers. It's pretty cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Changing from Yes to No just "to spite" the Yes side's campaign is just looking for an excuse to say No IMO. You were always going to Vote No, you'd take any old reason.

It's disgusting that you'd vote against civil rights just because you've seen one too many people in your FB timeline saying Vote Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

Was a strong yes because my uncle was gay and got carried away with everyone else really. Then I thought about it and moved into a don't know. After watching a few debates and both sides squabbling with eachother I am now sick of it and I am now a 'dont give a **** so will not bother' voting.

Same as most things really, they just get dragged out to the death. Friday night will be mad though if the yes side win.

Changing from Yes to No just "to spite" the Yes side's campaign is just looking for an excuse to say No IMO. You were always going to Vote No, you'd take any old reason.

It's disgusting that you'd vote against civil rights just because you've seen one too many people in your FB timeline saying Vote Yes.

:pac: Think thats point proven ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

My mother who is in her late sixties and would have a conservative outlook has changed her mind from no to yes, she has met Ursula Halligan several times through her job and has very high regard for her and was moved by her story today.

yes there wrote: »
    I am now sick of it and I am now a 'dont give a **** so will not bother' voting.

Your "boredom" with it is really no excuse for skipping your civic duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Can I just ask you to think about the idea that it would be unfair to deny same-sex couples the right to marry just to hit the government where it hurts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

yes there wrote: »
    Friday night will be mad though if the yes side win.

I don't think they start counting til Saturday morning.

-Get's Popcorn-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I just think a No would be more of a blow to the current government,

That reason is beyond moronic.

Civil rights can eff-off, cos I don't like FG"

:pac: Think thats point proven ...

Bigotry is always disgusting, I'm not sure how else to phrase it...sorry if us "bleeding heart" types are irritating to you.

c_man wrote: »
    I don't think they start counting til Saturday morning.

Yeah afaik the polling stations are open til 10 or 11 at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I haven't changed my mind. I was always going to vote "Yes". However I do think that the "Yes" campaign has been OTT and alienated a lot of voters. Comments on Facebook are awful, i've seen cases where replies to posts go up to 200 long, and with cursing and ridiculous comments from both sides. While I think the 'No' sides arguments are a bit silly, the 'Yes' side are in a sense "feeding the trolls". Sometimes I think people are intentionally trolling the 'Yes' side. It ends up being very ugly, as obviously people are very passionate about equal rights, but they write huge paragraphs to justify their opinion, when all it needs is a simple "Im voting yes, because it's what I think is right".

In truth, I thought this election would be a landslide yes vote. In the last 2 weeks, this opinion has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Other half got mobbed last night by a large intimidating group of Yes people all quite young. Said they came across as quite aggressive. Basically blocking the whole footpath so you had to talk to them.

I've heard similar from a few different people, there seems to an immature aggressive element to the yes campaign.

I'm still voting yes though.

Bigotry is always disgusting, I'm not sure how else to phrase it...sorry if us "bleeding heart" types are irritating to you.

Yeah it is, Odd the yes side is not above name calling though. Is the position that tenuous that name calling is needed ? And people wonder why some are having second thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Bob24 wrote: »
    Same disappointment here.

I was undecided to start with, at the beginning of the campaign drifted towards yes, but not sur anymore now.

Still keeping my options open but the yes campaign actually managed to push me further away from what they are trying to promote. The intolerance towards a large part of the population is what concerns me. Looks like a bunch of people who are tired of the Church telling them what is morally right or wrong (absolutely fair enough to feel that way), but don't realise that they are themselves doing the same thing and trying impose their own morale values on everyone else (not so fair anymore). When all political parties and all the media are saying the exact same thing, using concepts like equality to give themselves higher morale grounds, and anyone thinking differently is being ostracised, it does scare me away because it makes me think more of totalitarianism than democracy.

Except for one side are campaigning for equal access for everyone to the institution of marriage and teh other are campaigning so that only those they approve of may marry. Anyway please vote yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you see anyone on the opposition (to the government) suggesting this?

No, because it's so childish they wouldn't even countenance it

• Advertisement

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I haven't changed my mind. I was always going to vote "Yes". However I do think that the "Yes" campaign has been OTT and alienated a lot of voters. Comments on Facebook are awful, i've seen cases where replies to posts go up to 200 long, and with cursing and ridiculous comments from both sides. While I think the 'No' sides arguments are a bit silly, the 'Yes' side are in a sense "feeding the trolls". Sometimes I think people are intentionally trolling the 'Yes' side. It ends up being very ugly, as obviously people are very passionate about equal rights, but they write huge paragraphs to justify their opinion, when all it needs is a simple "Im voting yes, because it's what I think is right".

In truth, I thought this election would be a landslide yes vote. In the last 2 weeks, this opinion has changed.

Exactly it's like they have to high five each other how tolerant they are. Reminds me of that south park episode with the electric cars.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement