Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini PC - Intel Nuc, GB Brix etc...

Options
  • 15-05-2015 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for advice on building a micro PC. It's for a warehouse where space is extremely tight. I'd like a fast boot so an SSD 64GB+ would be great.

1. What is your budget? €300- maybe a little more

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Browser based work, a little MS Office

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? keyboard, mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Any method

9. When are you purchasing? asap

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No thank you, I will build myself.

Thanks a lot,
    Philip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Browser based work, a little MS Office

Given that limited use you might consider using a Linux OS and alternative Office and put the budget towards better hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

I'm actually thinking now of this Asus Chromebox @ £180.

It will be 95% browser/chrome based so this could be perfect especially since it can be mounted to the back of the screen to save even more space.

Fast boot time
    Cheap
    Space Saving
    Can migrate the few spreadsheets we use to Google sheets and it will work perfectly with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

philboy wrote: »
    I'm actually thinking now of this Asus Chromebox @ £180.

It will be 95% browser/chrome based so this could be perfect especially since it can be mounted to the back of the screen to save even more space.

Fast boot time
    Cheap
    Space Saving
    Can migrate the few spreadsheets we use to Google sheets and it will work perfectly with it.

Keep in mind it is not a windows machine. If at any point you require a installation of any windows based application, you would need to replace the machine. It design and prupose is purely based around the web brower.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

philboy wrote: »
    It's for a warehouse where space is extremely tight. I'd like a fast boot so an SSD 64GB+ would be great.

How big in MB's are the MS Excel sheets or MS Access databases that you use?

Have found in the past that MS Excel can sometimes need a decent bit of RAM if the Excel sheets are huge (was Excel 2003 at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

the_syco wrote: »
    How big in MB's are the MS Excel sheets or MS Access databases that you use?

Have found in the past that MS Excel can sometimes need a decent bit of RAM if the Excel sheets are huge (was Excel 2003 at the time).

Tried converting the excel spreadsheet to google sheets but it didn't support some of the formulas I am using. So machine will only be used for browser based tasks. Excel will be used on another machine in the office instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement