Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up full time job for third level education

Options
  • 15-05-2015 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi scholars of Ireland...

I have a friend living and working in Kerry who is interested in pursuing a masters degree in culinary arts. English is not her first language so she has asked me if a could help find out some information regarding her course of choice.

Here's what I know so far (and feel free to contact me if I'm wrong). The nearest place she can do this course is Tralee. Given the fact it's a two year course it can only be done full time thus necessitating the need for a combination of a grant and her savings. It appears that the course started it's two year cycle last year so there is no course available this year and even if there was, she has missed the cao deadline to apply.

Given she has a full time job, can she apply for a grant or rent allowance and expect to receive the assistance she needs if she were to leave her job?
    Would she be required to pay the course fees or does Bord Failte pay for this regardless of status?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

I'm currently doing a certificate in Culinary Arts and failte Ireland pay our fee's, but after your certificate you're on your own, for ordinary and honour's degree you can apply to SUSI for fees grant but you cant for a masters and in Tralee I believe its 8k. I presume your friend is already educated to honours degree in Culinary Arts.

Advertisement