Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway from Canada

Options
  • 18-02-2015 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

We're moving to Galway from Canada (myself, hubby and three kids, 8 and 10).

I've narrowed the search down to three living areas-Knocknacarra (my mum lives there), Bushy Park, or Bearna. Any advice? Also what are the good primary/secondary schools in the area? My eldest son will be going into grade 6 and twins into grade 4.

Basically any advice or suggestions you may have will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Hi, I live near Bushypark and used to live in knocknacarra. I've children in primary school. Barna is lovely and a popular area to live (very near a lovely beach). It's a small village, one primary school and no secondary so you will end up coming into Galway for secondary. A lot of Barna children come into Galway for primary too, if their parents work in the city (also beware that traffic is very heavy in the mornings).
    For city schools you need to decide on English or Irish speaking (I'm guessing English speaking) then catholic or non-denominational. Most schools are catholic but will accept children from other religions. Knocknacarra and Bushypark both have good catholic, english speaking schools ( just called knocknacarra and Bushypark national schools). There is also a newly started educate together school (non denominational) in knocknacarra but it doesn't have a proper building yet as it is so new. My kids actually go to an Irish school in the city centre as it feeds directly into a secondary school (can be hard to get a place otherwise). It's all very confusing but I hope this helps a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have a read of this recent thread too Relocation to Galway with children

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cpgirl

Thanks for the useful tips...very interesting. We plan to arrive in May some time and I'm hoping the kids can have at least a month in school before the summer holidays.

cpgirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the useful tips...very interesting. We plan to arrive in May some time and I'm hoping the kids can have at least a month in school before the summer holidays.

Good luck with your move. The school terms end at end of June and schools reopen again at end August/start of September. You have to buy school books yourself every year (although not much actual work done in last few weeks with school trips/sports days etc). I wonder would it be easier to start school in September when all kids go back? The school you choose can advise you on this. Our school has two teachers per year group and the kids are mixed between the groups each year so new children starting in September would slot in more easily than mid-year.

I will call the school to find out if indeed it would be possible to start earlier on not. I am currently waiting to hear if they have even got a place for September. The main reason I was thinking of going earlier is that I am keen for them to make friends before the summer holidays begin. It really all depends if we sell our house first in Canada...may take a while.

On a side note, do you like Bushey Park? I don't know much about the area but it is close enough to my mum in Knocknacara and therefore appeals to me.

Thanks again for your input.

• Advertisement

cpgirl wrote: »
    I will call the school to find out if indeed it would be possible to start earlier on not. I am currently waiting to hear if they have even got a place for September. The main reason I was thinking of going earlier is that I am keen for them to make friends before the summer holidays begin. It really all depends if we sell our house first in Canada...may take a while.

On a side note, do you like Bushey Park? I don't know much about the area but it is close enough to my mum in Knocknacara and therefore appeals to me.

Thanks again for your input.

I love living in Bushypark - we are lucky in that we live next to a farm so have lots of space around us. Our neighbours are lovely too. The downside is that we have to drive absolutely everywhere as even the local shop is too far to walk to. It's only a five minute drive to knocknacarra along the back roads so would be handy for your mum.

We are also moving to Galway from Canada. Our twins are now in grade three in Canada so I presumed they would be going into Grade Four in Ireland. However we have been told that they would have to go into grade 3 again as their birthday is August 7 2006. However this would mean that they would already be 12 when they start grade 6. Is this correct? Also what is the policy if there are no placements available at the school you applied for. Is it simply a case of finding another school in the area?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Saying grade 3 etc... means little to us Irish! If they are 12, they should probably be starting 6th class this September with the view of moving up to Secondary School aged 13. My birthday is July and I started 6th class aged 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Kids start primary school here usually between the age of 4.5 to 5 years. Primary education is an 8 year course (Junior Infants, Senior Infants, 1st class, 2nd,....6th) so they usually are moving into secondary school at 12.5 to 13 years. Secondary education can be a 5 or 6 year course depending on the school, some do a transition year others don't. Secondary school is a 3 year Junior Certificate course (state exams) followed by a two year Leaving Certificate course (exams again), with transition year in between if applicable. So kids here usually finish school at 17.5 to 18 years.

Hi there

We are thinking of moving from Canada to Moycullen. I have three kids ( 8, 8 and 10). Can anyone recommend a school in the area or give us any info on which ones to avoid.
    Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's stick to recommended schools and not ones to avoid (if such even exists in area).

Previous mentions of Moycullen schools
    www.google.com/search?q=Schools+in+Moycullen+site:boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Moycullen is a good choice even though roadworks are a problem at the moment.
    Scoil Mhuire is a good school if you are living in the village. It's a bit "Catholic" but thats hard to avoid in Ireland.
    Very good sporting opportunities around Moycullen for kids - GAA football & hurling, basketball, soccer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Scoil Mhuire is a good school if you are living in the village. It's a bit "Catholic" but thats hard to avoid in Ireland...

I went to Scoil Mhuire and turned out an atheist. So have no fear OP!

Advertisement