Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I paid into a pension for nearly 3 years, but left...

Options
  • 15-05-2015 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

...now what?

I was with a company in Ireland for nearly 3 years and paid into a pension from the very beginning.

I got a new job and moved to the UK almost a year ago now.

I was told I could get my contributions released from the pension back home and paid into the UK pension, I put all that into motion and after about 6 months I got a letter today from the UK company saying the pension scheme back in Ireland is not a HMRC recognised pension scheme, so they cannot transfer funds ....

So what happens now? Will I ever have access to the money I put into the Irish pension, or is it lost forever?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Contact the company's HR dept. You should be able to just draw down the funds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Contact the company's HR dept. You should be able to just draw down the funds.

Nope, after two years you can't. Op can access the funds when they retire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Stheno wrote: »
    Nope, after two years you can't. Op can access the funds when they retire

Yikes, good to know!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yikes, good to know!

You can transfer them here I transferred funds from a company pension scheme to a prsa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

yeah I was aware I can't withdraw it after two years, so I'm trying to figure out what to do with it

according to the pensions company, it's dead in the water and will be eaten up by charges over the years unless I manage to transfer it somewhere ..

Is this correct ?

Any ideas on what can be done with it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Did you get a "leaving options" letter? You should have. If you haven't ask for it.

3 choices.

1/. Leave where it is.
    2/. Transfer to new employer.
    3/. Buy out bond.

I didn't get a letter, but was advised of these from the Irish pensions company (except for the buyout bond)

they suggested transfering it to another pot, and make small payments in to keep it active

as with the thread, I can't transfer it to the new employer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

arctan wrote: »
    I didn't get a letter, but was advised of these from the Irish pensions company (except for the buyout bond)

they suggested transfering it to another pot, and make small payments in to keep it active

as with the thread, I can't transfer it to the new employer

The letter comes from your employer and is a legal entitlement. Ask for it, in writing.

cool, didn't know that, thanks I'll get onto them and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

If you will not be coming back to Ireland, you can transfer the pension to a Standard Life Buy Out Bond. Standard Life are HRMC recognised as such you will be then able to transfer the funds to your new pension arrangement. You will probably need to get a financial adviser to help you with this and pay them a fee. Just be aware with the euro so low against the sterling at the moment now would not be a good time to do this.

However if your not too bothered, just transfer it t a Buy Out Bond, decide how you want to invest it long term and come back to it when your 50.

• Advertisement

cool thanks, I'll have a look into that too, that might be the best bet

Advertisement