If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV for a bright room

Options
  • 15-05-2015 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

hi, 

I am looking for a TV for a bright room. The room has a south facing wall of glass that the TV is at right angles to. We have a 6 yr old 9 series Philips (bought from you guys) that is not really watchable during the day. We have blinds, but they are not blackout! 

What TV would you recommend?

Min 42"
    Budget max €1000
    Smart TV

Thanks,
    TTS

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

hi, 

I am looking for a TV for a bright room. The room has a south facing wall of glass that the TV is at right angles to. We have a 6 yr old 9 series Philips (bought from you guys) that is not really watchable during the day. We have blinds, but they are not blackout! 

What TV would you recommend?

Min 42"
    Budget max €1000
    Smart TV

Thanks,
    TTS
    Hi, certainly TV have improved in this aspect in resent years.  However I must point out that there will probably always be a certain amount of reflection.  For superb picture quality you could go for the likes of the new Samsung ue40ju6400.  This TV has 4k capability when a relevant source is input to it

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201228-ue40ju6400.aspx

Or if you wanted a bigger screen something like the panasonic tx55as650 would tick the boxes.  You do loose the 4K but gain a bigger screen and 3d capability 

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200527-viera-tx55as650b.aspx

Regards Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ablelocks

we recently got a samsung ue48h6400 for a similar situation (patio door, window and 2 overhead velux but no blinds) and it works fine.  i think there are new versions of this out or due soon as it's not showing on the richersounds website..

Hey Timmythesheep.

If 3D was not not a must you could also look at the NEW Samsung UE48J5500 coming in at 929.99 Euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201273-ue48j5500.aspx

Covers all the requirements from the first post.

Any questions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

Thanks for the responses.  Would the UE46H7000 be any good??  Its a 2014 model so might get a better spec for the money, and I am not too fussed on 4k.  I have read a few reviews that say it is a 'bit glossy'! 

...and do you know of any TV with a matte screen similar to the old Philips?  We did a test tonight with a Sony glossy screen and the reflections would drive us mad!! 

• Advertisement

Do Richer Sounds sell Philips TVs? 

Hey Timmythesheep.

No Philips screens unfortunately. We there is a 20" but I would say your looking much bigger then this.

The Samsung range are not Matt but they seem to reflect less than others.
    I cant think of any matt screens at the moment.

It is hard to find a screen to suit a bright room. I still run a plasma and when light hits it, its game over for watching anything.

Have you been able to get to see any of the Samsungs in action?

Hey Timmythesheep.

No Philips screens unfortunately. We there is a 20" but I would say your looking much bigger then this.

The Samsung range are not Matt but they seem to reflect less than others.
    I cant think of any matt screens at the moment.

It is hard to find a screen to suit a bright room. I still run a plasma and when light hits it, its game over for watching anything.

Have you been able to get to see any of the Samsungs in action?
    20" definitely too small! :p

I have been to Currys, Power City & Harvey Norman and the closest I could find to what I want is a Panasonic http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-14-48AX630 but the spec on this is not the best - issues with 4k apps (Netflix) and sound not the best.  Whilst the screen is reflective the reflections are diffuse rather than sharply defined so they are less distracting. 

I might just end up sticking with my Philips! 

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Thanks for the responses.  Would the UE46H7000 be any good??  Its a 2014 model so might get a better spec for the money, and I am not too fussed on 4k.  I have read a few reviews that say it is a 'bit glossy'! 
    The UE46h7000 is a great spec of screen and as Kenny said the samsungs are probably the least reflective screens we would do

They are a discontinued model now, but we do have our display model on our clearance list at €999 if you're interested??(was €1199)

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057419135 - clearance list (No5 on the list)

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200415-ue46h7000.aspx - TV spec

Give us a call or reply if you've any other questions

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.