Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Advertising methods on Boards

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Boards.ie: Sean

MrPudding wrote: »
    I have had two occasions now where the Micrsoft Cloud ad automatically starts playing. I am almost 100% certain I have not clicked it, to start it. Also, once it started neither the pause nor the mute button on the ad work, I have to mute the browser tab.

Is this a new ad method too, or is it something else?

MrP

Hi MrP, no this is not a new method. The policy on Boards regarding animated gifs and video ads is that they can automatically start playing but with volume muted. If volume is not muted then they are in breach of our policy and we would look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Boards.ie: Sean

fernrock wrote: »
    This is the page I get when I try any link , even the link in your latest post.
    I am using firefox , Sky Broadband and windows 10.

If you’ve landed on this page, you may be wondering exactly what it’s all about.

We’re Skimlinks — a service that helps online publishers earn money.

When links in publishers’ content lead their users to click through and buy from an online retailer, we make sure they’re rewarded!

We aim to make our service seamless and unobtrusive, so your user experience should not be interrupted. If you’ve landed on this page and didn’t mean to, unfortunately you’ve most likely clicked on a broken link along the way. Links can be broken if they are badly formatted; if you spot any again, we’d advise reporting these to the site owner.

- Team Skimlinks

So it appears you are being directed to this page: http://go.redirectingat.com/?rdrflb=1

However, I having spoken with our dev team, we are not sure why clciking on the opt out link should send you there. As a last suggestion, you could try opening a private window in Firefox and seeing if http://optout.skimlinks.com/?tested=1 brings you to the opt out page. If this works in a private window then it could be some issue related to your browser and Skimlinks cookies in which case clearing your cookies might resolve the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

So it appears you are being directed to this page: http://go.redirectingat.com/?rdrflb=1

However, I having spoken with our dev team, we are not sure why clciking on the opt out link should send you there. As a last suggestion, you could try opening a private window in Firefox and seeing if http://optout.skimlinks.com/?tested=1 brings you to the opt out page. If this works in a private window then it could be some issue related to your browser and Skimlinks cookies in which case clearing your cookies might resolve the issue

Yep, I'm being directed to that page on Chrome and Firefox, when I click on any link on boards and when I click the opt-out link.

When I tried this on a private window on Firefox, I get this:Capture.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

here's another new advertising method.

Of course, Boards.ie has absolutely no ties to daft. nosiree. nope.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi Lovely Bloke,
    We noticed this ourselves a little earlier ansd we're working to remove it now. It's an old, automatic setting from when we were actually connected with Daft (and Adverts) and we had this automatic setting to pull any notices that they ran on their site(s) on Boards too. We weren't aware that the setting was still live but it won't be by the end of the day :)

You can see that Daft are running the same notice right now:
    407589.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement