Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Wood Burning Stove Flue Query

Options
  • 15-05-2015 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I am about to install a new wood burning non-boiler stove in my sitting room. I'm installing it against the gable end of my house. I don't have a chimney at this end of the house so the flue will exit through the wall and rise up externally.

My plan was to come off the top of the stove directly into a 45degree bend, then a straight section of flue out through the wall (rising at a 45degree angle), into a 45degree twin skin Tee and then vertically up in twin skin flue to above ridge level.

Someone told me that it was a bad idea to have a 45degree bend connected directly to the top of the stove - instead I should rise vertically off the stove for about 500mm and THEN exit through the wall at 45 degrees. The reason given was that the 45 degree bend connected directly onto the stove would burn out over time.

It was recommended to me that I should instead come off the BACK of my stove and exit straight out through the wall, and then rise up vertically externally. I am reluctant to do this as I would end up with a straight horizontal section off the back of my stove of about 500mm and I felt that I might have difficulty getting a draught (smoke would have to travel a long distance horizontally before it can rise up).

The 45 bend that I have is the same colour as my stove so I think it will look good.

What do people think? Is it possible to have a 45 connected directly to the top of my stove or will it burn out over time? The stove is a 12kW unit.

Thanks,

Joe
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Joe6Pac wrote: »
    Hi,

I am about to install a new wood burning non-boiler stove in my sitting room. I'm installing it against the gable end of my house. I don't have a chimney at this end of the house so the flue will exit through the wall and rise up externally.

My plan was to come off the top of the stove directly into a 45degree bend, then a straight section of flue out through the wall (rising at a 45degree angle), into a 45degree twin skin Tee and then vertically up in twin skin flue to above ridge level.

Someone told me that it was a bad idea to have a 45degree bend connected directly to the top of the stove - instead I should rise vertically off the stove for about 500mm and THEN exit through the wall at 45 degrees. The reason given was that the 45 degree bend connected directly onto the stove would burn out over time.

It was recommended to me that I should instead come off the BACK of my stove and exit straight out through the wall, and then rise up vertically externally. I am reluctant to do this as I would end up with a straight horizontal section off the back of my stove of about 500mm and I felt that I might have difficulty getting a draught (smoke would have to travel a long distance horizontally before it can rise up).

The 45 bend that I have is the same colour as my stove so I think it will look good.

What do people think? Is it possible to have a 45 connected directly to the top of my stove or will it burn out over time? The stove is a 12kW unit.

Thanks,

Joe

The best option is to rises off top of stove then to 45 degree bend through wall to 135 degree tee then rise to ridge

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Joe6Pac

Thanks Robbie.

Would you see any issue with having the 45 directly connected to the stove? i.e. no vertical straight section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Joe6Pac wrote: »
    Thanks Robbie.

Would you see any issue with having the 45 directly connected to the stove? i.e. no vertical straight section

A wouldn't put the bend there as the intense heat at that point will feck up the bend quicker depending on what fuel you use and then if you went to change the setup at a later stage it would cost a fair few bob.
    The twin wall flue will cost in the region of €600-€800 then fitting plus stove so it's an expensive purchase so do it once and do it right

Advertisement