Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MPEG4 CAM's

• 15-05-2015 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Are there any CAM's on the market capable of downscaling HD content as well as decoding MPEG4 ?

I have a DVD recorder and want to be able to record Saorview without faffing around with extra boxes/cables/remotes.

Ive been told that there MPEG4 cards that I can put into the CAM slot on my recorder but that most(/all ?) of these wont work with RTE1 and 2 owing to these channels being HD only.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

No, they don't exist.

As you say, there was one (Neotion?) that could work with SD MPEG4 somewhat, but not with any HD content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

Are there any CAM's on the market capable of downscaling HD content as well as decoding MPEG4 ?

I have a DVD recorder and want to be able to record Saorview without faffing around with extra boxes/cables/remotes.

Ive been told that there MPEG4 cards that I can put into the CAM slot on my recorder but that most(/all ?) of these wont work with RTE1 and 2 owing to these channels being HD only.

They don't work well with SD channels either.

Don't Saorview boxes have scart sockets from which you could get SD to record on your DVD recorder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

byte wrote: »
    No, they don't exist.

As you say, there was one (Neotion?) that could work with SD MPEG4 somewhat, but not with any HD content.

Yes. They were very glitchy and were processor dependant. It would drop loads of frames even in SD.

To the OP, you need a DVD Recorder that decodes MPEG4 H264 and has an onboard DVB-T tuner that does likewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭I swindled the NSA

STB. wrote: »
    To the OP, you need a DVD Recorder that decodes MPEG4 H264 and has an onboard DVB-T tuner that does likewise.
    Do any DVD recorders (as opposed to Blu-ray) on the market do this :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Do any DVD recorders (as opposed to Blu-ray) on the market do this :confused:

Yes, there are, mainly Panasonic brand, expensive and hit and miss. Make sure that the tuner is MPEG4 DVB-T AVC (H264 L4). Not to be confused with the ability to play MP4 files. Put it this way I would be trying one before buying one as you dont always know the spec of the tuner on board and processing chips for the dvb-t end. Some can be just MPEG2, some MPEG4 SD (H264 L3) meaning they wont decode the HD content. There may come a time that RTE will start encrytping the HD content to flag no record. I dont think it has been implemented yet.

Check out the "Energy Sistem Combo D8 HDTV" which you can get for about €50. The recording is done to a USB conencted device. You could the archive those to DVD using a PC/Laptop as I do not think it has a record facility outside USB, its only a DVD player.

A lot of people dont bother with DVD and recording due to the fact that most DVB-T receivers record in the raw TS format on HDD's, which you could always archive to disc anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭I swindled the NSA

STB. wrote: »
    most DVB-T receivers record in the raw TS format on HDD's, which you could always archive to disc anyhow.

How would I convert raw TS format to DVD Video format ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

How would I convert raw TS format to DVD Video format ?

Lots of software out there. I used Videoredo in the olden days! Found it good as it took out the ads.

Advertisement