Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adam Johnson v Ched Evans

• 15-05-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭

We all know about the huge media storm caused by Ched Evans potentially getting another football contract after his prison sentence.

But I couldn't believe that Adam Johnson is back in the Sunderland squad and available for sleection, and how little furore it caused.

Now I appreciate that one was convicted and the other is innocent until proven guilty, but did Sunderland really feel it was right to continue playing Johnson?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

NIMAN wrote: »

Now I appreciate that one was convicted and the other is innocent until proven guilty, but did Sunderland really feel it was right to continue playing Johnson?

Think you answered your own question there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know I did, but I think it just shows that these football teams are so obsessed with their own needs that they didn't think it was the right thing to do to rest Johnson until his trial.

I guess its all about staying in the EPL and the millions that brings.

Call me cynical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Ched was proven guilty and went to jail and has shown no remorse.

Adam Johnson hasnt been to court yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mikeym wrote: »

Why would you expect him to show remorse when he is adamant that he is innocent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why would you expect him to show remorse when he is adamant that he is innocent?

One would have at least expected him to show some remorse for the situation the girl has been put in. Whether he's innocent of the actual crime or not, he's admitted to what equates to treating her like a piece of meat.

Like, even in the best case scenario of his side of the story, he comes out of this as an absolute dick of the highest order, and yet he's never tried to put a stop to the vitriol going her direction, which has caused her to have to change her identity several times.

As for Adam Johnson, professionally, I think he has the right to be treated as innocent until he's been proven otherwise.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    One would have at least expected him to show some remorse for the situation the girl has been put in. Whether he's innocent of the actual crime or not, he's admitted to what equates to treating her like a piece of meat.

Like, even in the best case scenario of his side of the story, he comes out of this as an absolute dick of the highest order, and yet he's never tried to put a stop to the vitriol going her direction, which has caused her to have to change her identity several times.

He should certainly have condemned the website in his name, run by his family, that has been a conduit for some pretty disgusting developments, such as showing a video of the rape victim. As you say, he could also have constructed an apology that did not contain an admission of liability, if he demanded that his legal team do so. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

When there's a hundred million pound at stake morals go out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

When there's a hundred million pound steak at risk, morals go out the window.

God I'm hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He should certainly have condemned the website in his name, run by his family, that has been a conduit for some pretty disgusting developments, such as showing a video of the rape victim. As you say, he could also have constructed an apology that did not contain an admission of liability, if he demanded that his legal team do so. It's not rocket science.

An apology for having consensual sex?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If he apologises he's admitting guilt, it can't be done.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Very misleading thread title...I was hoping to read about them having a Mad Max 3 style cage fight :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

mikeym wrote: »

Whether or not Evans is innocent or not, this public desire for repentance is retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

anncoates wrote: »
    Whether or not Evans is innocent or not, this public desire for repentance is retarded.

Couldn't agree more.

Adam Johnson should be allowed to go to work until a point where he is found guilty of a crime and incarcerated. No issues with Sunderland here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Yup, if Evans did it, he did time and his career has been destroyed. If he's innocent, he's right to protest that.

In either scenario, a public repentance is just a mob demand on the part of the public.

anncoates wrote: »
    Yup, if Evans did it, he did time and his career has been destroyed. If he's innocent, he's right to protest that.

In either scenario, a public repentance is just a mob demand on the part of the public.

And as nonsensical as the idea that it's 'unfair' for him to go back playing football after time has been served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

At the end of the day everyone has a right to earn a living and both of these men are the same. One served his time he is done and if Adam is guilty he will be sentenced and do his time aswell.

An apology for having consensual sex?

We'll the is a finding that he raped her.

But even if he wanted to avoid the reality and persist with his version, he could avoid that altogether. He could for starters apologise for the website that posted a video of her, for those who outed her identity on the internet in a particularly disgusting development and so on.

I hope Adam Johnson's family and friends and supporters won't start a campaign to smear the girl at the centre of his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I really thought this thread was going to be about a fight between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We'll the is a finding that he raped her.

But even if he wanted to avoid the reality and persist with his version, he could avoid that altogether. He could for starters apologise for the website that posted a video of her, for those who outed her identity on the internet in a particularly disgusting development and so on.

I hope Adam Johnson's family and friends and supporters won't start a campaign to smear the girl at the centre of his case.

Would you just accept it if it was you?

Is it this site,http://chedevans.com/ , that has the CCTV from the hotel showing her arriving and then walking back out herself to pick up the pizza? Its there to show that inconsistency of the prosecution that she was "incapably drunk” and tbh I think it does a good job of that.

I assume from the fact the site is there and unchallenged that no one is disputing anything on it . Have to say if it throws huge doubts on a conviction that I already thought was iffey at best just based on the bits from the papers and the thread here.

Would you just accept it if it was you?

Is it this site,http://chedevans.com/ , that has the CCTV from the hotel showing her arriving and then walking back out herself to pick up the pizza? Its there to show that inconsistency of the prosecution that she was "incapably drunk” and tbh I think it does a good job of that.

I assume from the fact the site is there and unchallenged that no one is disputing anything on it . Have to say if it throws huge doubts on a conviction that I already thought was iffey at best just based on the bits from the papers and the thread here.

That's an awful assumption, that because a rape victim doesn't challenge a site she accepts that she wasn't raped or the finding made by a jury was dodgy. Maybe she just doesn't have the money to do so. The police expressed concerns about the site and considered prosecuting those involved, it was a disgusting development akin to the "what was her sexual history, what was she wearing" attacks used by defence teams decades ago. If by "unchallenged" you mean it's hard to prosecute someone for treating a rape victim with contempt, that is true.

How many other rape victims have had to change identity because of a trial by the www after the jury that has heard all the evidence have given a verdict? I suspect very few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That's an awful assumption, that because a rape victim doesn't challenge a site she accepts that she wasn't raped or the finding made by a jury was dodgy.w.

I wasnt there, I dont know if she was raped or not. But if anything on the site is false, you'd think it would be challenged.

People are(and have been since it happened) giving out that Evans has shown no remorse. If he knows hes innocent, why should he? I'd have no issue with a website showing evidence that I was innocent if I was falsely accused or convicted. The conviction may never be overturned, but I'd want as many people as possible to know my side and have the full story.
    , it was a disgusting development akin to the "what was her sexual history, what was she wearing" attacks used by defence teams decades ago.

Showing actual video of the woman walking fine is hardly the same as implying what you're saying. The prosecution says she was falling down drunk. The video seriously challenges that . Its perfectly valid.

No it's "disgusting" don't you get it? We can't be outraged in peace and foaming at the mouth for him to be strung up if footage like that is placed in the public domain.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No it's "disgusting" don't you get it? We can't be outraged in peace and foaming at the mouth for him to be strung up if footage like that is placed in the public domain.

I guess people will be outraged by rape and find it disgusting, as well as those who would defend a convicted rapist by placing carefully selected items of evidence in the public domain without asking the police. Are all the videos up on that site? How about the one his friends took while he was having sex with her? Cos he did invite them to come along to her room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

When is Evans chance of being cleared delivering their verdict. Is it called the serious case review (or something similar). Does he have any other avenues of appeal after that?

When is Evans chance of being cleared delivering their verdict. Is it called the serious case review (or something similar). Does he have any other avenues of appeal after that?

Afaik has had 2 applications to appeal turned down, one by the court that dealt with the case, one by the appeal court. So not sure there is any other avenue left to him.

Advertisement