Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious Varroa Infestation - Help

Options
  • 15-05-2015 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hello,
    Having investigated my hives a couple of weeks ago and being happy enough with progress I went in again yesterday evening to find that one of them had dead bees in the brood cells (with their tounges sticking out). There are still eggs in the hive although not as many as I'd like. There are also some 'shrivelled' bees in there that weren't fully formed.
    I did a little 'net research and think it's a PMS. I treated with apiguard in late summer, gave a dose of apibioxal between Christmas and New Year and have drenched a couple times over the last month with 'Hive Alive'. I was thinking of giving another dose of apibioxal but read somewhere that it might not be so good if there's brood within.
    I'm thinking about MAQS but hear very varying opinions. Does anyone have some advice please? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Cornerstonelad

Have you checked their food stores ? Varroa control should be ok with your treatments. British Beekeepers Association and Beekeepers of Ireland on facebook have an excellent array of knowledgeable people who will answer your queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Joe Brennan

Hello Mellifra
    As I am only going in to my second year, The only advise I can give is for you to try & get an established beekeeper from your local beekeepers club to inspect your colony. I have found by going down that road is a big help. Beat of luck

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Have you checked their food stores ? Varroa control should be ok with your treatments. British Beekeepers Association and Beekeepers of Ireland on facebook have an excellent array of knowledgeable people who will answer your queries.

Likewise, I'd be surprised if the Varroa wasn't under control... tongues sticking out is often a sign of starvation... the weather has been pretty poor recently...

When you say bees in brood cells with their tongues sticking out, are they in there head first with their tail ends sticking out, or are they brood that was emerging head first?

Shrivelled bees? Do you mean with deformed wings? Is it possible that these are just young bees that have emerged within the previous couple of hours? These can look quite small and strangely light coloured and hairy compared to the rest.

First things first, make sure they're not starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

It doesn't sound like varroa at all. Instead it sounds like they're starving - are there any stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Thanks for the messages everyone! They do have some stores but I've given them a bucket of feed just in case.
    They were emerging with their tounges out rather than being stuck in the cells head first.
    I asked a local lad to call which he did with another beekeeper and they reckoned it was acarine. I've put on an apiguard although I'm not sure it's warm enough just yet.
    Thanks again for the help!
    M

• Advertisement
Advertisement