Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gpu and for about 200

Options
  • 15-05-2015 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys so as tittle says im looking for advice on a gpu for about 200 euro

My spec is so far

As rock h61m-dg3/usb3 mother board m-atx
    i have i5 cpu socket 1155
    evega 500w power supply 80 watt bronze
    8gb ram
    i havent decided on a case yet but ill pick up something for about 50 quid when i get the gpu sorted.

its just for gaming im playing likes of p cars and assetto corsa and far cry 4 looking to play them on as decent settings as possible.

I was looking at a scond hand gtx 760 maybe i seen on adverts for 200 what do ye think or would i get something new for that price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

You should be able to get a 2nd hand 760 for €180 on adverts, decent enough card or even a 270x for around €150.

Not sure of the difference between the 2 on Far Cry 4 but according to the below link there's only a difference of around 1.5fps on High setting in BF4 yet the 270x will cost you around €30-€40 less.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1038?vs=1043

280x's are going for around €180 on adverts.ie also a good GPU but you'd need a 600w PSU.

Make sure you go with someone who has decent feedback though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

AntDub wrote: »
    You should be able to get a 2nd hand 760 for €180 on adverts, decent enough card or even a 270x for around €150.

Not sure of the difference between the 2 on Far Cry 4 but according to the below link there's only a difference of around 1.5fps on High setting in BF4 yet the 270x will cost you around €30-€40 less.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1038?vs=1043

280x's are going for around €180 on adverts.ie also a good GPU but you'd need a 600w PSU.

Make sure you go with someone who has decent feedback though.

Thanks very much for that mate ill have look at them, i was looking at the gtx 760 on adverts its 180 an msi version looks pretty good alriight i was also looking at a pny version of the 760 for 220 would they be any upgrade on the cheaper one do you think? im mainly only looking for something to last me a few months ill sell on and upgrade again when i get bit more money,

Don't pay €220 for the 760, I've seen 770's go for that on adverts. Not sure about PNY but you don't need a receipt to return a card to MSI if anything ever went wrong with it.

You've a 3 year warranty with MSI from the date it was manufactured which forms part of the serial number.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Second hand 280x is about 200 or less, I'm running one no bother on a 400w, your PSU is enough for one

Second hand 280x is about 200 or less, I'm running one no bother on a 400w, your PSU is enough for one

Would the 280x be much of a step up from the 760 mate?

• Advertisement

280x would give you mors FPS but run slightly hotter, use more power and AMD have been known to have issues with drivers(not all the time but I keep reading people having issues).

It's the opposite with Nvidia cards but you lose fps for it.

IMHO get a 280x if you want more fps, best value card out there right now, 760 is good though and just behind the 280x.

Cheers for the feedback lads done a good bit research and ill go the nvidia route, ive seen a second hand gtx 770 for 220 on dabs or a new msi gtx960 for much the sam price? Which one would you go for? Benchmarks and reviews are much the same, just the 960 is a newer generation then the 770 am i right?

Yeah newer gen. The 960 has less VRAM than the 280x, not sure about the 760 off the top off the top of my head. I'd take the 280x, they run fine in a good case, mine maxes at about 74° at 99% load

Yeah newer gen. The 960 has less VRAM than the 280x, not sure about the 760 off the top off the top of my head. I'd take the 280x, they run fine in a good case, mine maxes at about 74° at 99% load

Only thing that put me off the 280x mate is that everywhere online says they need alot of power, I know you said your running one on 400w but all sites say 750w needed?

jayo26 wrote: »
    Only thing that put me off the 280x mate is that everywhere online says they need alot of power, I know you said your running one on 400w but all sites say 750w needed?

Which is double what I've got... I think that speaks for itself. I made a mistake in my order now, I wouldn't recommend anyone leave a 400w with one, I'd tell you 500w minimum. There's a lad here uses CF 290s and they max at 730w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Bear in mind that project cars has a lot of trouble right now with AMD GPU's and CPU's. Obviously it'll be fixed eventually but something else to think about since you want to play it on PC.

Which is double what I've got... I think that speaks for itself. I made a mistake in my order now, I wouldn't recommend anyone leave a 400w with one, I'd tell you 500w minimum. There's a lad here uses CF 290s and they max at 730w

Ahh yhhh i get ya mate cool. I thought this choice be so much easier when i have the money haha,

superg wrote: »
    Bear in mind that project cars has a lot of trouble right now with AMD GPU's and CPU's. Obviously it'll be fixed eventually but something else to think about since you want to play it on PC.

Yhhh i know mate i dont think it be like that for long hopefully,

Ahh yhhh i get ya mate cool. I thought this choice be so much easier when i have the money haha,

The more money you have the more choices that are open to you! Should be able to look at a gtx 770 when we're talking about choices, comparable to a 280x

The more money you have the more choices that are open to you! Should be able to look at a gtx 770 when we're talking about choices, comparable to a 280x

Yhh i have seen a 770 on dabs its second hand but has a warranty id imagine for 220

Yhh i have seen a 770 on dabs its second hand but has a warranty id imagine for 220

Head is wrecked from looking at benchmarks and fps all day haha so I have decided I'm gonna hold off for another two weeks and get another 150 together and just go and get a 970 sure its the only way I can justify it is id get less of a headache deciding which one I want.

Head is wrecked from looking at benchmarks and fps all day haha so I have decided I'm gonna hold off for another two weeks and get another 150 together and just go and get a 970 sure its the only way I can justify it is id get less of a headache deciding which one I want.

Good decision.

Good decision.

Hope so ha ill just stick out playing p cars on low quality and 30fps for another couple weeks ha.

A wise man always plays the long game :D

A wise man always plays the long game :D

Donno if you would call it wise but I just couldn't make up my mind so at least I wont go wrong with 970 as I was planning on upgrading to that eventually.

• Advertisement

You might not need the full 150 extra anyway. Compare.eu show's a few 970's for around €320 like this one http://www.hardwareversand.de/4096+MB/189982/KFA%C2%B2+GeForce+GTX+970+Gamer+OC+Black+Edition%2C+4GB+GDDR5+256-bit+Dual+DVI-I+DVI-D+HDMI+DP1.2.article?pvid=4qqo54gu1_i9qzeyo0&ref=13

Lesser known brands but a 970 all the same.

The full list http://compare.eu/?fs=gtx+970

You might not need the full 150 extra anyway. Compare.eu show's a few 970's for around €320 like this one http://www.hardwareversand.de/4096+MB/189982/KFA%C2%B2+GeForce+GTX+970+Gamer+OC+Black+Edition%2C+4GB+GDDR5+256-bit+Dual+DVI-I+DVI-D+HDMI+DP1.2.article?pvid=4qqo54gu1_i9qzeyo0&ref=13

Lesser known brands but a 970 all the same.

The full list http://compare.eu/?fs=gtx+970

I was allowing for a new case too mate, i wouldnt insult a 970 by putting it into a hp case even tho everything inside it is changed haha, it be like putting a 2 litre engine int a nissan micra :)

well i changed my mind again but i couldnt help it when i seen this last one remaining on dabs :) i know its not the 970 but i can sell it on again in a couple of months for more money then i paid for it when i want the 970 or when a new generation cards come out so in my mind its a bloody bargain

90n3u8.png

That is a bloody bargain as you say, its maybe 10-15% slower than a 970, so it's a brilliant card for that!

That is a bloody bargain as you say, its maybe 10-15% slower than a 970, so it's a brilliant card for that!

Yes all the benchmarks look great and youtube reviews are all good I cant wait to get my hands on it now.

Well my gpu arrived today its an impressive beast to look at really well built but in my over site I was getting ready to install the new motherboard and psu and card but only realised half ways threw I need a new cooler. The Intel 1155 cooler on my stock motherboard wont fit on the as rock board so may wait another day now. But I did get a decent cooler ordered so should last a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Some places are advertising the GTX770 at €400 :O That looks a great price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

Exept in the witcher 3, nvidia has gimped the 700 series now

gravehold wrote: »
    Exept in the witcher 3, nvidia has gimped the 700 series now

Got it all sorted this morning and first game I tried it on was witcher 3 it looks pretty good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Got it all sorted this morning and first game I tried it on was witcher 3 it looks pretty good to me.

Some pretty strong feedback and data to indicate NVIDIA are gimping their old series of GPUS on witcher.

Rule of thumb seems to be turn of Hairworks immediately, and then look into getting an OLD driver for your card.

If you havn't upgraded drivers to the latest(Witcher release) then you are on the old ones, and should stay there for now :)

Been recorded FPS drops from people on the 700 series moving to latest drivers for Witcher 3. Those on older drivers and with hairworks disable reporting 50-60FPS on 1080p res which is pretty good.

Im pretty jelly, sweating for a new GPU and hate the wait!

Advertisement