Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow writer syndrome

• 15-05-2015 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi guys,I am doing the LC in 2016!

Was just wondering whether there are scribes available for very slow writers,I hold a pen different and it slows me down :P

I do subject which need quick writing such as History,Geography and Business!

All help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't think there's any allowances for slow writers tbh, if that's the only issue.

I would recommend a lot of practice doing timed questions over the year. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry but as someone who did their exams many moons ago, this just sounds like a very modern problem to me. Never once when I was at school did I know of people with "slow writer syndrome". Another newly created syndrome.

I'd love to know how exactly you hold your pen different to everyone else. My infant children learned how to hold crayons and pencils naturally themselves, no idea how you arrived at a different way of doing it.

I would advise you to practice writing faster, or learn to hold a pen properly. Its not rocket science.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

I remember the lump would form on my middle finger from all the writing and I pitied the poor examiner who had to read my writing as it dis-improved as the exam progressed.
    My poor penmanship was the reason I took the time to learn how to touch-type.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I doubt you'd be eligible for Reasonable Accomodations for being a slow writer.

Have a look here.

RA is usually for:
    Candidates with permanent or long-term conditions, including visual and hearing difficulties, or specific learning difficulties, which they believe will significantly impair their performance in the examinations may apply to the State Examinations Commission for a reasonable accommodation(s) to be made to facilitate them taking the examinations.
    RA provides scribes when:
    Answers may be dictated to a person acting as a scribe rather than to a tape recorder. This arrangement may be approved where the candidate's speech would be extremely difficult to interpret on tape or where a tape recording would not meet the particular requirements of the examination, e.g. making calculations in such subjects as Maths and Accounting.

But
    Candidates may be permitted to record their answers on tape recorder, typewriter or word-processor.

It's a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 maireadH

You probably don't want a scribe as using one is a very specific skill. Also, the department rarely sanction them. They are more likely to allow a dictation machine which is, I believe, a big disadvantage to the student as you can't read over what you've dictated.

Typing would be your best bet, if you can get permission. You can get reasonable accommodations for very slow handwriting but you need a report from an educational psychologist and/or an occupational therapist. I would suggest talking to the resource teacher in your school as your first port of call.

As you are so close to your exams, any assessments would most likely need to be done privately. This will cost several hundred euro, depending on who you need. However, if your family can afford it, it is worth doing if the resource teacher thinks you might be likely to get accommodations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

S/he's doing LC in 2016.

Yes, you can get accommodations for slow hand-writing, but where there is an underlying condition which causes it.

I'm dubious about "I hold my pen differently" being accepted, if that's the only reason.

That said, I'm not an expert in the area, don't take my word for it!
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Never once when I was at school did I know of people with "slow writer syndrome". Another newly created syndrome.
    I think s/he may have created it just now, and probably slightly tongue-in-cheek. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LCBanter

S/he's doing LC in 2016.

Yes, you can get accommodations for slow hand-writing, but where there is an underlying condition which causes it.

I'm dubious about "I hold my pen differently" being accepted, if that's the only reason.

That said, I'm not an expert in the area, don't take my word for it!
    I think s/he may have created it just now, and probably slightly tongue-in-cheek. ;)
    Yes it was tongue in cheek ;) But nevertheless my problem still exists! Thanks to all of you who have taken me seriously :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Kind of off-topic but I actually hold my pen differently to most people too, I didn't realise until some pedantic substitute teacher we got in primary school noticed it and tried to show me how to write 'properly'. It doesn't really impact my writing speed though thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

pen-hold.png

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    pen-hold.png

;)

No the only way :P Holding pen between third and fourth finger works too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭i am awsome

Not an awesome suggestion, deleted - Mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I remember last year (or the year before) a teacher in the English dept.(somehow) got an extension of 30mins for a slow writer, from what I recall he had no other difficulties. If I think of it I'll ask said teacher of how she secured that. Never had such a problem myself thus far due to the nature of my subject area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

The whole deck is stacked against you, as explained here:

http://www.theonion.com/video/in-the-know-are-tests-biased-against-students-who--17966

(I know that's not really you, but I couldn't resist the temptation to link to that video!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I hold my pen differently aswell.

I use the same fingers and position, but my grip is a bit more loose and my thumb can sometimes touch my index finger.

I can hold the pen the normal way, but I find my way much faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Talk to the person who organises the applications for the RACE in your school. The deadline is next week (25th of may) for next year, but you can apply late.

Have a look at the RACE info in the link below. Be very careful though, I couldn't find this year's one so there might be very slight changes to the criteria. Get your folks to read it too.

I would presume you would be applying on the "grounds of a physical difficulty"
    (see page 11 HERE as opposed to a learning difficulty (dyslexia etc.).

Don't leave it too late, deciding to use a scribe/laptop/tape recorder or whatever at the last minute mightn't be the wisest thing to do as it takes a bit of time to get used to changing the way you answer your questions.

If you're not sure who to talk to just approach the Vice Principal and ask them about "Reasonable Accommodations" or RACE for 2016. HE/She might say you're too late! but just mention that you read on examinations.ie that you can apply after the deadline .

Have you ever said it to your English teachers about not being able to finish any of the exams on time? They usually have more experience dealing with 'writing/reading/spelling' issues more-so than other subject teachers!

Advertisement