Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle Feeding - Entire teat or tip of teat full of milk?

Options
  • 16-05-2015 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi,

When bottle feeding I've been told to make up an extra ounce of formula milk to keep the ENTIRE teat full of milk so baby doesn't suck in air. I.E. Baby is on 5 ounces, make up 6 ounces, only feed the 5 ounces, keeping entire teat full, discard last ounce.

But surely only the TIP of the teat needs to be kept full of milk, like 1-2cm full.

Which is correct?

Using Tommee Tippee easi vent teats and bottles.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

Well I dunno what the correct thing is, I don't believe anything is correct when it comes to babies but thats besides the point! We use the tommee tipee closer to nature bottles and they have the vent in the teat. we've only made up the normal amount of formula and let baby drink the lot, when she wants to! it doesn't seem to cause any problem.

With the vented teat i think its more important to make sure the vent is to babies nose when feeding. This prevents all the air swallowing and seems to be working for our little one!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Hi,

When bottle feeding I've been told to make up an extra ounce of formula milk to keep the ENTIRE teat full of milk so baby doesn't suck in air. I.E. Baby is on 5 ounces, make up 6 ounces, only feed the 5 ounces, keeping entire teat full, discard last ounce.

But surely only the TIP of the teat needs to be kept full of milk, like 1-2cm full.

Which is correct?

Using Tommee Tippee easi vent teats and bottles.

Thanks!

This seems like such a waste - you'll know when they are finishing the bottle, just pull it out. Mine would sometimes suck air once or twice before I pulled it. They never seemed bothered. You tend to get used to the timing of it so that air swallowing doesn't happen.

Always hated pouring out milk they wouldn't drink, seems a waste to deliberately make more to pour away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Hope the baby knows she's on 5oz!! :D
    Keep going till she stops, or you run out of formula.

And don't sweat the little things. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Never heard that one. Formula is pricey enough without chucking 1/6 of it down the sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hope the baby knows she's on 5oz!! :D
    Keep going till she stops, or you run out of formula.

And don't sweat the little things. :)

Mine was taking 6 oz before he came home :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Mine was taking 6 oz before he came home :)

Mine was drinking 5 ounces at 48 hours old the little guzzler!

OP I wouldn't be making up an extra ounce to throw away. Who gave you that advice? I'd just take the teat out of her mouth just as she finishes

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Just another thought..if she's easily finishing 5 ounces make up 6 but to give to her not to throw away. I remember at the pre-natal classes the midwife said to offer another ounce if the baby is guzzling what you're giving them cos otherwise how will you know if they'll drink more?

Anyway that's probably off topic but I just wonder were you given the same advice and maybe wires got crossed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

Just another thought..if she's easily finishing 5 ounces make up 6 but to give to her not to throw away. I remember at the pre-natal classes the midwife said to offer another ounce if the baby is guzzling what you're giving them cos otherwise how will you know if they'll drink more?

Anyway that's probably off topic but I just wonder were you given the same advice and maybe wires got crossed?

Yes that's what we always did. Whenever he started draining a bottle for a few feeds in a row, we went up an extra ounce. So most of the time there was a little bit extra left in the bottle when he finished feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I'd be interested to know who told you to thro away the formula?
    I never heard of that before.

I wouldn't bother wasting formula like what the others have said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭SF12

That's odd advice. We have Tommee Tippee. Just make sure the tip of the teat is as full as possible so they aren't sucking in air. Vent towards the baby's nose, as someone else said.
    There are no hard and fast rules on these things, by the way :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement