Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much tip for a hairdresser?

Options
  • 16-05-2015 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

How much tip do you give to your hairdresser?

I get a wash and blowdry, cut and full head of meche highlights and have, in the past, given €5.

But I'm going to a new salon on Monday and I was talking to a family member today who said she'd only give €3; she thinks a fiver is a bit much.

What do you think?
    What do you give?

I'm not a mean person so I'd give whatever the norm was.
    And then there may be another girl washing my hair too...What do I do then?
    Give two tips?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Just give the fiver to the person who does the cut and blowdry and don't worry about the person washing. There's a point where you have to say stop. You're paying anyway and they're not doing it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,430 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's Ireland not America, even if your on minimum wage and getting 2x€3 extra an hour tax free your doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I don't tip, because I disagree with tipping in Ireland.
    I don't tip the cashier in Tesco so why should I tip a hairdresser?
    We have a legal minimum wage, if it is not high enough it is a matter for the workers to raise with the Government, the customers should not feel they have to pull up the slack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

I don't tip my hairdresser or the beautician I go to, these type of service providers are most likely to also be doing off the books work so they certainly don't need me topping up their income.

I don't believe in blindly tipping everybody, you should be given a reason to tip. For example, I would tip in a restaurant only if I have received exceptional service or they have been able to meet my specific dietary requirements without any hassle.

I tip my hairdresser a fiver if I get highlights. A couple of euro if I'm just getting a blowdry. I always have my hair washed by same person doing my colour/styling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

USA - 40 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

I haven't tipped since I started going to a new hairdressers (been two or three times now), and have been wondering if I should or not as I'll be going again soon. Growing up, I was always made tip.

To be honest, I'd feel a bit awkward handing them any less than a fiver as you'd be giving them coins. Not sure why, but just would. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I agree with tipping because as said, they're being paid to provide a service (and it's not usually cheap no matter where you go).

Seeing as they were required to train so much, they did choose this profession and were aware of what the wages are like. It's not like they're a down-on-their-luck businessman who has become a waiter as they're in between jobs and needs the tips. As said above, they're probably doing work off-the-books anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

fussyonion wrote: »
    How much tip do you give to your hairdresser?

I get a wash and blowdry, cut and full head of meche highlights and have, in the past, given €5.

But I'm going to a new salon on Monday and I was talking to a family member today who said she'd only give €3; she thinks a fiver is a bit much.

What do you think?
    What do you give?

I'm not a mean person so I'd give whatever the norm was.
    And then there may be another girl washing my hair too...What do I do then?
    Give two tips?

~ The lastime I got highlights (89euro) + bought bottle different shampoo (15euro) => handed over 120euro and said Thanks Very Much.
    Wonderful doing the highlights; even had to make a correction after the initial colouring was visible after my hair was washed and more severe looking than planned.

A big, long job on your hair where more chance of something going wrong deserves a tip imo. It deserves recognition imo.

If you know how much it will cost before-hand, have it rounded up to include a tip and only have that monies visible when paying. You could round up the tip and try ensure those involved with you on the day are aware of your leaving the tip perhaps, or else give to each individually during the time they work on your hair.

Hope your hair turns out Lovely :)
    kerry4sam

/On a different note: I went to a garage recently and two ended working on my car as one took a phonecall in the middle. Job came to 30euro ; paid 40euro and just said Thanks Very Much etc. One informed the other how much I'd paid before I had left the garage. Twas only a fiver each, but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I always tip a fiver to hairdressers or beauticians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I always give my hairdresser a fiver, it's just a habit I picked up from my Mam!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I never tip hairdressers or beauticians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I never tip them. It's expensive enough as it is imo. I think you have to draw a line somewhere - you can't tip every single person that performs some kind of service for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Sometimes I'll have more money and I'll tip whatever I can. If I'm hours and hours in the hairdressers, I'll tip 10 if I have it, 5 if I don't. If it's something small like a blowdry, if it's a good job and I'm happy, I'll tip. If money's tight or I'm not mad about it, no tip.

If I go somewhere regularly, I'll always tip because I know from working in salons, the clients who tip will be the clients that are looked after best. So if I'm. Regular, and I'm going to need an appointment on short notice, I know if I'm looking after them they'll look after me.

It could be the difference of being squeezed in the day I need or having to wait for an appointment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

kerry4sam wrote: »
    ~ The lastime I got highlights (89euro) + bought bottle different shampoo (15euro) => handed over 120euro and said Thanks Very Much.
    Wonderful doing the highlights; even had to make a correction after the initial colouring was visible after my hair was washed and more severe looking than planned.

A big, long job on your hair where more chance of something going wrong deserves a tip imo. It deserves recognition imo.

They made a mistake and you still tipped?? :confused:

Colourists do meche highlights every day. Part the hair, apply bleach, repeat a few dozen times. "Chance of something going wrong " should be zero to minimal. Would you tip your mechanic if they replaced the wrong brake?
    Highlights are not open heart surgery- and open heart surgeons don't get tips!

Advertisement