Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ether One PS4 - unplayable?

Options
  • 16-05-2015 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Thought the game looked very interesting when it was announced for this month's PS Plus, and sure enough after sinking 2 hours into it I thought it was pretty good. Then it patches and decides its done. Crashes after been on for about a minute constantly.

Deleted, redownloaded, same thing. Anyone else try this game and find it was unplayable? The net suggests it is a common problem on the PS4 and the developer is constantly saying the patch fixes it, yet the patch caused it for me. Really annoyed that even in the indy market games are still being put out there that clearly aren't properly finished and tested.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes, discussed in the PS Plus thread. Experiences vary (from playable to unplayable), but there's definitely plenty of glitches, rough edges and generally lack of optimisation here. Extreme frame rate drops are also common alongside more grevious problems.
    GodlessM wrote: »
    Really annoyed that even in the indy market games are still being put out there that clearly aren't properly finished and tested.

To be fair here, independent game developers actually have significantly less resources than big AAA studios, and therefore less capability for testing and optimisation (although I know Sony put all games through their own QA process). That's no excuse, of course, especially in this case, but I have a bit more sympathy for smaller teams like the Ether One developers. Especially since the PC game has been out for a year - could be growing pains transitioning to a different platform.

If I had a fear, it was this might have been rushed out to meet the PS Plus deadline, as opposed to the extra week or two testing it probably needed. I'd rather the game be release a few weeks late than released like this - but going by the mob that typically occupies the PS Blog, I sadly don't think everyone would be pleased by that seemingly logical move :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

According to Wiki the game was rebuilt from scratch in Unreal Engine for the PS4 port, which would explain a lot of its problems.

But still, from my experience it was virtually unplayable and as a result I now have no desire to go back to it, regardless if it has been patched or not.

Advertisement