Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Biology 2015 - predictions, guesses, discussion, petri dishes ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

does anyone know any useful websites for experiments?

the results / steps and equipment needed is fine.

but i need help with control and reasons for using a particular substance is making life difficult :(

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

does anyone know any useful websites for experiments?

the results / steps and equipment needed is fine.

but i need help with control and reasons for using a particular substance is making life difficult :(

Tell us what your stuck on and we'l see if we can help!! Its revision for us too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kermah

What is everyone hoping to see on this paper next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 electromix

Would be nice if photosynthesis experiment and human reproductive system came up.
    Don't want to see NEPRHON on that paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kermah

electromix wrote: »
    Would be nice if photosynthesis experiment and human reproductive system came up.

I hope plant reproduction doesn't come up :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

electromix wrote: »

the nephron cannot come up or i will cry :(

same with protein synthesis :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

the nephron cannot come up or i will cry :(

same with protein synthesis :(

Have a look at the marking scheme for protein synthesis questions, they're not looking for anything near as detailed as what you'll find in your book.

That applies for most questions really. While it's always better to have a fundamental understanding so that you can apply your knowledge to any question, if there's a topic or two that just won't click with you lookup past questions and see exactly what they want for an answer.

Magnate wrote: »
    Have a look at the marking scheme for protein synthesis questions, they're not looking for anything near as detailed as what you'll find in your book.

That applies for most questions really. While it's always better to have a fundamental understanding so that you can apply your knowledge to any question, if there's a topic or two that just won't click with you lookup past questions and see exactly what they want for an answer.
    Lol im screwed if protein synthesis comes up the steps we took is soooooo complicated and in depth i dont even know whats evn happening:(

Lol im screwed if protein synthesis comes up the steps we took is soooooo complicated and in depth i dont even know whats evn happening:(

I'll probably be studying biology tomorrow so I'll post up all the possible questions and solutions for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

Anyone else only starting Biology study this weekend and trying to cover the whole course ?

• Advertisement

KA97 wrote: »
    Anyone else only starting Biology study this weekend and trying to cover the whole course ?

I would if I could, but need to cover maths p2 and Irish too so I'll probably only have 1 day for Biology to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

WHY does irish paper 2 have to be the same day as Biology?
    It's going to be the loss of any hope i had of getting an A in Biology... :(

Also, i think Photosynthesis and Plant Reproduction may come up in the same question...
    Experiments- I think IAA, DNA isolation are definitely due.
    The Kidney/Nephron could be there, aswell as eye/ear/skin, its been a while since those.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Shanmcg97

Can someone help me out here. If the carbon cycle comes up are you able to explain it instead of drawing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

This is a really bad idea, the marking scheme changes every year depending on how the question is answered that year. What might be sufficient one year might not be enough for half the marks another year. It's better than nothing, but I really wouldn't rely on the marking scheme in bio

This is a really bad idea, the marking scheme changes every year depending on how the question is answered that year. What might be sufficient one year might not be enough for half the marks another year. It's better than nothing, but I really wouldn't rely on the marking scheme in bio

The only thing that changes really is the mark allocation. Say you have a particularly difficult short question, well you might be awarded 7 marks for your first 2 correct answers and then 2 marks for the subsequent 3 parts. This is to ensure the grade distribution fits the overall bell curve. An easier question might be 6(3) + 1(2).

In general though, the accepted answers never really change from year to year. Definitions are definitions, biology is very black and white for the most part. With long questions a good rule of thumb is 3 marks per point. For example, the steps to DNA profiling will always be:

Cut into fragments = 3 marks
    With enzymes = 3 marks
    Analyse results = 3 marks

It could even be a 12 marker where you're also asked for the name of the process, in which case "profiling" will always be the answer.

So I have to respectfully disagree with you completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

hope human reproduction , endocrine system , photosynthesis, sensory system, digestion system , excretory system, respiration, cells, scientific method , genetic crosses , everything really lol

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

Since the nitrogen and carbon cycle came up the last two years, can we safely assume it won't be there this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

fin709 wrote: »
    Since the nitrogen and carbon cycle came up the last two years, can we safely assume it won't be there this year?

you cant really assume anything tbh

Here's everything I could find on protein synthesis for anyone interested:

7EPAfZa.png

And for full marks in this question you're looking for:

3HLY3As.png

It's a handy 27 marks, and the answers to them cannot change, only the mark allocation. Now those questions are by no means exhaustive, but as you can see they're not looking for much. I've checked all the past papers and while it's on the syllabus, the detailed events of protein synthesis have never been asked. On the off chance that they are, I'd go with this:

1. DNA Double helix unwinds
    2. RNA nucleotide bases bond with DNA strand
    3. RNA polymerase assembles these bases to form mRNA.
    4. mRNA moves into ribosome
    5. mRNA codons attract tRNA anti-codons.
    6. tRNA & mRNA amino acids bond in ribosome
    7. Protein folds into shape.

I know this isn't a great example of simplifying it down but you're looking at about 21-24 marks there. It's hard to tell when this has never been asked fully before, but depending on the question you might want to throw in some waffle on codons, maybe the 3 types or how many bases, stuff like that.

Remember the great thing about the long questions is that surplus answers do not cancel out right answers in sections where they're not looking for a specific word or definition, so feel feel to ramble on about anything that you think is even remotely relevant. :)

Thanks so much magnate was just looking at part ii - which cell does translation occur the answer is ribosomes but which cell does transcription occur or is it a broad answer? Hehe thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks so much magnate was just looking at part ii - which cell does translation occur the answer is ribosomes but which cell does transcription occur or is it a broad answer? Hehe thanks

Transcription occurs in the nucleus and translation in the ribosomes.

That's really all there is to it, transcription definition, translation definition, where they occur. Then you have mRNA, tRNA and rRNA, just know what they stand for and what they do and what codons & anti-codons are.

Transcription occurs in the nucleus and translation in the ribosomes.

That's really all there is to it, transcription definition, translation definition, where they occur. Then you have mRNA, tRNA and rRNA, just know what they stand for and what they do and what codons & anti-codons are.
    Thanks a million!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

The biology paper manages to cover roughly 75-80% of the syllabus every year.
    Predictions are mostly pointless, except for experiment questions.
    Basically, know everything. Sorry.

The biology paper manages to cover roughly 75-80% of the syllabus every year.
    Predictions are mostly pointless, except for experiment questions.
    Basically, know everything. Sorry.

That doesn't mean you can't be strategic though, it's possible to choose your questions so that between 70-80% come from unit 1 and 2 only, depending on the experiment questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kelly8249

Anyone have notes on the IAA exp? Or advice they could offer? My teacher didn't do it with us. :(

kelly8249 wrote: »
    Anyone have notes on the IAA exp? Or advice they could offer? My teacher didn't do it with us. :(

Try this link and jump to page 140.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

I haven't properly studied the flowering plants chapters and time is running low. Would I be alright leaving them out ?

I haven't properly studied the flowering plants chapters and time is running low. Would I be alright leaving them out ?

I'd say you're good, at this stage just know unit 1 and 2 inside out, trying to predict unit 3 is a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

I've done every past exam paper and a few of the mock papers I feel like there isn't a whole lot more I can do but I also feel like I don't know the course inside out..Im not aiming for an A or anything..whats your plans for the night before the exam?? Irish is a big downer I have paid no attention to it cause im OL but I also don't want to fail..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 kelly8249

Try this link and jump to page 140.

Thank you so much!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement