Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Crystal Palace 5.30 SKY Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

TimRiggins wrote: »
    I've watched football all my life. Remember clearly from 2000/2001 on. This is classic Liverpool.

Palace again and all!

Ah right, you're no older than 5 then. If you think that was classic Liverpool, you're beyond deluded. Classic Liverpool was winning trophies like nobodies business. Some of us have longer memories than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd say he'll be back anyway on loan, similar to the way Thierry Henry returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Headshot wrote: »
    Unfortunately its his last home game thou.

If they had won handy 2 or 3 nil wouid it have made a difference though. Nothing game in another nothing season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Well that's that but let's no dwell on it. Thank you for everything Stevie. Forever a legend!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'd say he'll be back anyway on loan, similar to the way Thierry Henry returned.

I seriously hope not. The only way the club will ever evolve is by rebuilding and that means saying a permanent goodbye to the veterans. He was incredible for us in his day, but he has nothing to offer us anymore, and owes us nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He'd be better off not.

Maybe in a managerial capacity at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

They always put 3 past us don't they?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He really shouldn't. His last 2 years were definitely a black mark on a very impressive career. He's not suddenly going to be amazing in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

be a huge backward step if he did return.Would have been better for Liverpool if he left last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Jaysus, only seen Palace got a third now, thought it finished 2-1 going by this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

martyos121 wrote: »
    Ah right, you're no older than 5 then. If you think that was classic Liverpool, you're beyond deluded. Classic Liverpool was winning trophies like nobodies business. Some of us have longer memories than you.

No, i'm 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Borini sauntering on without a care in the world. "I'm going nowhere lads "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Bit lucky with a couple of the goals, but fair play to Palace. They showed up and exposed Liverpool's weaknesses, they deserved the win. Their midfield was easy to bypass and the defending was amusingly poor.

No fan of Liverpool, but it's sad to see Gerrard end his time at Anfield like this all the same. In his peak, he was right up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Why is the wife staying up in the stands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Degag wrote: »
    Why is the wife staying up in the stands?

Shy. Shame, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Very nice send off for Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No, i'm 22.

Liverpool had a good run for 15 years from the mid-70s to the late 80s. They won very little before or after that.

When is Sterlings contact up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Liverpool had a good run for 15 years from the mid-70s to the late 80s. They won very little before or after that.

Except champions league no.5. Haha bitter!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

No, i'm 22.

I'm 10 years older than you and even I don't remember Liverpool winning trophies like it was no ones business.

I can't see it happening anytime soon either. Liverpool missed their chance to return some glory to Anfield. They had a chance to get in quality players with the lure of Champions League football, plus the money from Suarez, and finishing 2nd last season, but Rodgers failed miserably with the exception being maybe Can, as he looks decent. I can't see them attracting any big players this summer and will just have to roll the dice trying to find a couple of diamonds in the rough. Can't see Rodgers being able to do that either with his poor chance of signings last summer with CL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Headshot wrote: »
    When is Sterlings contact up?

in 2 years.

When Keane left United the club went downhill for a spell until Fergie managed to turn it around, due in large part to the acquisition of Cristiano Ronaldo.

When Vieira left Arsenal they never managed to replicate the success they enjoyed while he was there.

Gerrard has exerted a similar influence over Liverpool. Unless they can discover a Suarez or Ronaldo-like superstar, you'd have to say there's a real possibility Liverpool could decline even further.

When Keane left United the club went downhill for a spell until Fergie managed to turn it around, due in large part to the acquisition of Cristiano Ronaldo.

When Vieira left Arsenal they never managed to replicate the success they enjoyed while he was there.

Gerrard has exerted a similar influence over Liverpool. Unless they can discover a Suarez or Ronaldo-like superstar, you'd have to say there's a real possibility Liverpool could decline even further.

When Keane left he was still a fairly effective player, Liverpool have been missing the real Gerrard effect for a few seasons now.

Keane left United November 2005 and they won the title in 06/07(did 3 in a row)and won the CL the following year.Not much of a downhill spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Knex. wrote: »
    What's Alan Pardew's point total this year?

About 57 in the league. I think it was 23 with Newcastle and it's 34 with Palace so far.

In 1966 they won their 7th league title, a joint record with Arsenal. They won their 8th in 72-73 along with the UEFA Cup, which was the start of their golden age, they kept winning almost every year till 1992.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

When Keane left he was still a fairly effective player, Liverpool have been missing the real Gerrard effect for a few seasons now.

This. At least now Liverpool will be more forced to try to fill the void. Henderson doesn't look capable IMO. This is a summer for marquee signings.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Keane left United November 2005 and they won the title in 06/07(did 3 in a row)and won the CL the following year.Not much of a downhill spell.

As I noted, thanks in large part to a superstar named Cristiano Ronaldo.

As I noted, thanks in large part to a superstar named Cristiano Ronaldo.
    You said United went downhill for a spell after Keane left .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

CSF wrote: »
    This. At least now Liverpool will be more forced to try to fill the void. Henderson doesn't look capable IMO. This is a summer for marquee signings.

Krusty the Clown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

viper006 wrote: »
    Except champions league no.5. Haha bitter!!

Madrid have twice as many.

yabadabado wrote: »
    You said United went downhill for a spell after Keane left .

Yes, and that is accurate. In Ferguson's book he describes the period you speak of under the chapter 'Lean Times'.

Apart from everything.

Not just because Gerrard is leaving although we are losing a great figurehead. But we really need to step with proper signings in the summer. Too much money wasted on mediocrity by FSG so far.

Yes, and that is accurate. In Ferguson's book he describes the period you speak of under the chapter 'Lean Times'.

Not winning the league for two seasons because of nouveau oil rich clubs isn't much of a dark age.

Arsenal were going into transition having to pay off the crippling stadium fees, as well starting afresh with a much younger squad as the aging 'Invincibles' left.

Neither situation comparable to a past his peak 35 year old Gerrard leaving Liverpool.

• Advertisement

If the period between Keane leaving and United winning another league is classed as lean times United really were spoiled .18 months between his departure and a title win is hardly lean times or a downward spell.
    The lean times were between '03 and '07 and keane was there for half that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Gerrard has exerted a similar influence over Liverpool. Unless they can discover a Suarez or Ronaldo-like superstar.

Em...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news mate. But those teams where winning Trophies.

Edit: And before you say Gerrard won XYZ in terms of the others it was nothing.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I feel people judge Gerrard in this extreme fashion because of who he is and not what is actually going on.
    hes been extremely poor this season but he was fine for large parts of last season. His peak in my mind was undoubtedly from 2004 - 2009/10 and yeah he did drop off after but yeah, that happens to most players. but this "OMG HES A LIABILITY HES SO BAD" over the top mentality is just people getting too hyped up and lacking actual perspective. Newsflash - just because its an accepted line on an internet forum doesn't actually make it true :)

BMMachine wrote: »
    I feel people judge Gerrard in this extreme fashion because of who he is and not what is actually going on.
    hes been extremely poor this season but he was fine for large parts of last season. His peak in my mind was undoubtedly from 2004 - 2009/10 and yeah he did drop off after but yeah, that happens to most players. but this "OMG HES A LIABILITY HES SO BAD" over the top mentality is just people getting too hyped up and lacking actual perspective. Newsflash - just because its an accepted line on an internet forum doesn't actually make it true :)

In Fairness he's been a liability all this year for Liverpool.

In Fairness he's been a liability all this year for Liverpool.

"hes been extremely poor this season" poor, liability, crap... yeah I know

• Advertisement

"hes been extremely poor this season" poor, liability, crap... yeah I know

Some would say longer that. If it was any other player you'd want them replaced.

Liverpool lost an Iconic figure, but from my what I saw(Albeit I understand Liverpool fans will have watched more games) In the past 2 years he hasn't been very poor. Especially after being such quality

Possible a blessing in disguise for Liverpool.

Some would say longer that. If it was any other player you'd want them replaced.

Liverpool lost an Iconic figure, but from my what I saw(Albeit I understand Liverpool fans will have watched more games) In the past 2 years he hasn't been very poor. Especially after being such quality

Second half of last season he was fantastic

oh yeah its the right time for him to move on for sure but this whole "oh he cost Liverpool 4th this season" is nonsense spouted by Man Utd fans who need more mental victories and think that by vilifying a club icon that that will happen. but yeah, the standards he had have definitely dipped in the past 4/5 years and hes been very patchy and error prone in places but theres a whole other kettle of fish as to why Liverpool have been so bad since 2009

Gerrard certainly didn't cost Pool 4th place ,Pool have been no where near good enough. No striker was a huge reason they have has such a poor season and the transfers in the summer were mostly flops.

"oh he cost Liverpool 4th this season" is nonsense spouted by Man Utd fans who need more mental victories and think that by vilifying a club icon that that will happen.

How many posts can you find that say this? Or are you just inventing more reasons to say your "mental/little victories" catchphrase?

oh yeah its the right time for him to move on for sure but this whole "oh he cost Liverpool 4th this season" is nonsense spouted by Man Utd fans who need more mental victories and think that by vilifying a club icon that that will happen. but yeah, the standards he had have definitely dipped in the past 4/5 years and hes been very patchy and error prone in places but theres a whole other kettle of fish as to why Liverpool have been so bad since 2009

I agree, I don't think he was the only reason that cost 4th place, but I think he was apart of it.

His record in the team speaks for itself this season, IIRC it's fecking awful, awful to see from a footballing point view.

Anyway, a great for LFC will be missed, fck me am I glad :pac:

How many posts can you find that say this? Or are you just inventing more reasons to say your "mental/little victories" catchphrase?

LOL. You're like the lawyer for the Man U thread, popping in and out of threads with your briefcase.

monkey9 wrote: »
    LOL. You're like the lawyer for the Man U thread, popping in and out of threads with your briefcase.

Objection!!

Will I Amnt the Judge Judy of the utd thread ;D

crap! Im stung again! you win this round Will!
    Im not too bothered looking through the threads. Was told this by a Man Utd fan yesterday though if that helps. Im pretty sure a dedicated guy like yourself can find all the evidence you need though. and as for the "mental/little victories" thing - go on the humour thread there, its full of like minded people such as yourself :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement