Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Range Wifi Router?

Options
  • 16-05-2015 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just looking for some advice. My parents live in back end of nowhere and they have standard landline broadband, quality is poor but at least it is connection. The mobile networks are non-existent.

I had a holiday house beside them, there is about 2 m between the houses. At the moment they have a Technicolor TG582 router. Just a standard router that was supplied back in the day. The coverage is poor to say the least. Anyway there is no coverage in holiday home so I was wondering what would be best option?

Wifi booster like below? issue is connection is already poor so I would think a booster would just add more seconds to poor connection
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-EX2700-100UKS-Wi-Fi-Extender-Booster/dp/B00NIUHAG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431776793&sr=8-1&keywords=wifi+booster

Wifi router with longer range?

I guess the wifi router would be better options but looking for good models. Looking for something at decent price but still quality. Any ideas? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Your devices have small antennas, wireless is two way traffic. You have walls blocking the signal, you need to add another wireless access point on a different channel closer to the target audience. Either run a cable to an access point from your router or get homeplugs with built in access point (assuming both are on the same fuse board). Avoid repeaters, they just slow your network down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Your devices have small antennas, wireless is two way traffic. You have walls blocking the signal, you need to add another wireless access point on a different channel closer to the target audience. Either run a cable to an access point from your router or get homeplugs with built in access point (assuming both are on the same fuse board)

Different fuse board

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depends on the construction of the houses, but what you could try would be to fit a decent AP in the attic of the main house as close to yours as you can (in the eave like), then run ethernet back to the technicolour. As long as your walls arent super thick and the premises is small this should give you acceptable coverage for minimal effort.

If thats not enough though, an external Ubiquiti AP mounted to the wall would probably do it. Or you could run a small fibre link between the two homes if you wanted to go all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ED E wrote: »
    Depends on the construction of the houses, but what you could try would be to fit a decent AP in the attic of the main house as close to yours as you can (in the eave like), then run ethernet back to the technicolour. As long as your walls arent super thick and the premises is small this should give you acceptable coverage for minimal effort.

If thats not enough though, an external Ubiquiti AP mounted to the wall would probably do it. Or you could run a small fibre link between the two homes if you wanted to go all out.

Second house is small 2 bed bungalow. the main house is about 1.5-2m gap between them. The router currently sits about 4 meters in centre of main house.

Both walls are block walls on house. Main house is cavity with insulation pumped into it. I think on smaller house it could be cavity but not pumped...

I just feel for the distance really I should be able to get connection but get nothing in second house. Overall distance would be more than 15m-20m,,...

Maybe long range is not correct, more a powerful router....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You cant really have more powerful, the TX power is limited by FCC/EU regs. All you can do is get better use of same power with better antennas.

Bungalows are the worst structure for wifi as you have the most structural walls between ends. In a regular 2 story most of the time its 1-2 walls and maybe a ceiling(easy to pen), in a bungalow it can be 4-6 walls.

A directional antenna on the side of main house pointing into yours might do it, but the problem is clients having trouble txing back the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ED E wrote: »
    A directional antenna on the side of main house pointing into yours might do it, but the problem is clients having trouble txing back the same way.
    That's not how it works. WiFi antennas for routers with e.g. 9dBi gain will have that gain for both transmission and reception. An antenna is not like a separate ear and mouth. An antenna with strong gain will allow reception of much weaker signals than a typical router antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

2 Meters .... ? Why not just run CAT5 between two routers in the Attic via the walls ... you can support the CAT5 on a metal wire.

Advertisement