Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NewYork region hotels - outside city but good for getting to Manhattan

Options
  • 16-05-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi.

Was wondering would anyone know any areas of New York that are good places to look for hotels that might be kind of cheaper than Manhattan hotels, but which would give a chance to use the subway or bus to get to and from Manhattan. Looking on websites I'm getting thousands of hotels and trying to narrow down my search a bit. Thanks if anyone has any suggestions. Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Queens and Brooklyn generally have good links for public transportation. Or do you mean completely outside of the city (like all 5 boroughs). If you're desperate you could look in places like Hoboken, which are accessible to NYC through the PATH train.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

You might regret saving a few quid to stay outside the city when you use up a lot of your trip standing around waiting for buses and trains....?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Exchange Place, Journal Square etc on the Jersey side - take the PATH trains in and out of Manhattan.

If that's not cheap enough, you could stay along the Northeast Corridor railroad and take the NJ Transit train in to Penn Station. While Newark, NJ is not the kind of place you'll want to walk around, it does have some nice hotels because Prudential's HQ is located there.

It's a short hop on the train, and the trains run frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I stayed at the Mariott in Teaneck - New Jersey for work a year or so ago. When we had finished our work stuff near by we were able to go back and forth to the city for $3 (or something) in about 20 minutes - last stop before the city (and first stop away from the city)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Long Island City in Queens is apparently easier to get to Manhattan from than Jersey. Only a few subway stops from Times Square.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Long Island City is super convenient. Plus that panoramic view of the NYC skyline you see in photos is taken from there.

Q4 Hotel in LIC is apparently very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

You might regret saving a few quid to stay outside the city when you use up a lot of your trip standing around waiting for buses and trains....?

I agree, stay in Manhattan, pay the little extra, NYC is very safe, you can wander around late at night rather than leaving to go back to your accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yes long island city is convenient if you are flying into jfk. there are loads of branded hotels (at half the price you will play in manhattan) within easy walking distance of the 21 street queens-bridge/queensboro plaza subway stops. its about 10 minutes on the subway from those stops to times square or same time as it would take you to get to lower manhattan from ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I was recently looking for a place to stay in november aswel mike with the same kind of circumstances, I booked a spot in woodside in queens fairly cheap and is just a short walk of the 7 train into manhatten, Send me a PM if you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Marriott Courtyard Jersey City-Newport

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46531-d224096-Reviews-Courtyard_Jersey_City_Newport-Jersey_City_New_Jersey.html

Call and ask for either the IBM or the GE rate-will cut the rate by about 1/3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

AirBnB, stay in Manhattan. I wouldn't trade the "extras" of a hotel for the hassle of having to get the train in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

If you're coming to NY you are better off staying in Manhattan and as said paying a bit extra rather than wasting time getting trains in from Queens or wherever.

Some would say Manhattan is NY. I know I do:D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    If you're coming to NY you are better off staying in Manhattan and as said paying a bit extra rather than wasting time getting trains in from Queens or wherever.

Some would say Manhattan is NY. I know I do:D

While I would generally agree with what you say, hotels in Manhattan are crazy expensive. For 1/3 price and a 15 min train ride, someone on a tight budget could do so much more on their trip if they stayed a little ways outisde the city.

I have personally stayed everywhere in Manhattan from the Ritz Carlton to the Vanderbilty YMCA to the Courtyard in Newport on the PATH. I would stay in Jersey City, at the Courtyard thats 100 yards from the Path, rather than pay double that to stay in. a ****hole in Manhattan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I stayed right by Newark airport and got the Airtrain in when I needed to, it turned out very handy compared to the money I would have paid for hotels in Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Anywhere along the 7 train so queens Long Island. Get a 7 day ticket for 30$ or 31 if ya don't have a ticket already.

Advertisement