Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque help

Options
  • 16-05-2015 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

hi, I get paid by cheque from my employer. His account is AIB and mine is BOI. It takes roughly a week to clear into my account. I was wondering if I go into the bank were the cheque came from with ID would they cash it for me? Or is there any other way of cashing it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

timex711 wrote: »
    hi, I get paid by cheque from my employer. His account is AIB and mine is BOI. It takes roughly a week to clear into my account. I was wondering if I go into the bank were the cheque came from with ID would they cash it for me? Or is there any other way of cashing it?

Thanks

You would have to take your cheque and take it into your employer's branch. They could then instantly tell if there are funds in his account and may give you cash.

Normally they don't like doing it, as it usually involves a lot of cash but may make an exception for wages. Chances are they'll try to persuade you to get paid differently from your employer.

Or you could ask your bank to give you access to uncleared funds. They would charge you interest on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Geniass wrote: »
    You would have to take your cheque and take it into your employer's branch....
    The bit about the branch is crucial. Other branches would probably refuse to cash the cheque.

An important detail: is the cheque crossed? That amounts to an instruction to the bank not to cash it, but to deal with it only when lodged in an account.

Another option: some cash businesses like shops or pubs are happy to cash cheques for people that they know and trust. From their point of view, cheques in the till are safer than cash in the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭timex711

Thanks for the reply lads, I have often got them cashed in my local if it was for about 200€. I'll probably give the bank a call next week before going in. But it's only for about €500 so I'd be hopeful they'd do it. Or I might try the local again

Advertisement