Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Driving test without lessons?

• 16-05-2015 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if it is a good idea to try taking the driving test without first having some refresher lessons beforehand.
    I did my IBT in Dec 2014 and I have been driving my 125cc for the 6 months since. I'd love to be able to get my test but don't really have the money for lessons. Is it possible to pass without them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I was just wondering if it is a good idea to try taking the driving test without first having some refresher lessons beforehand.
    I did my IBT in Dec 2014 and I have been driving my 125cc for the 6 months since. I'd love to be able to get my test but don't really have the money for lessons. Is it possible to pass without them?

To be honest you are better off doing a pre test lesson just incase you have picked up any bad habits. If you did fail another test will cost extra anyway. Where are you located? lads here can recommend a trainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

thanks, I'm in Shankill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

It's possible to pass alright, but 80 quid a pop is steep for the driving test, I'd rather not be paying it more than once for no reason. I'd rather spend a few bob on a pre-test, and my one helped me a lot in the weeks before the test. Don't forget that aside from the test prep, you're getting some time with an instructor and possibly learning a few things, which is always worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If you're serious about the test and don't want to waste 80 bucks, spend the extra money and get a lesson.

There's a million things you never learned on your IBT that they will look for in your test. They don't just take you for a 30 min spin and if you don't fall off you pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I passed my test after 1 pre-test. If you've stayed in touch with the IBT curriculum then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you drive like you were taught in IBT you should have no problem passing.

Main advantage of the prestest is getting familiar with the test routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

zubair wrote: »
    They don't just take you for a 30 min spin and if you don't fall off you pass.

anymore :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Id definitely recommend lessons. A lot of the stuff I was thought in my IBT either was wrong or wasn't the best way to go about things. When I got a few lessons with a local lad, my riding style completely changed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I must admit, I'm a few months in to riding, after doing my IBT, and have been seriously considering getting some lessons, from a different instructor, just to correct any mistakes I have picked up or bad habbits.

Always worth getting the opinion of someone who knows what they are at, teaching wise. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Paulw wrote: »
    I must admit, I'm a few months in to riding, after doing my IBT, and have been seriously considering getting some lessons, from a different instructor, just to correct any mistakes I have picked up or bad habbits.

Always worth getting the opinion of someone who knows what they are at, teaching wise. :D

I did this, by doing an insurance assessment. Ended up paying for itself in reduced premiums (Liberty Grade 2 gets you -30% on a learner permit) :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Thanks everyone. I'm going to have one lesson and see if the instructor thinks I'm ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

lennymc wrote: »
    anymore :)

haha. I did my test in 1996 in the Semaphore and Morse Code era :p

The test to get your licence is only the start of your learning, not the end, kemo sabe.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement