Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking beef round roast in a slow cooker

Options
  • 16-05-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

hi guys

I plan to do this tomorrow. but I have no idea how to do it.

could somone give me some tips as other places i have looked seem to have different opinions

do I put oil in the slow cooker?
    do i put water?
    do I leave the netting on?

any opinions would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I would season the meat and then spend a couple of minutes browning the roast all over in a hot pan first of all.

Then smear it with English mustard and add some roughly chopped carrot, onion and celery to the base of your slow cooker and sit the meat on top. Add a sprig or two of rosemary if you have it.

Then add a cup of liquid - red wine, stock or whatever you fancy yourself, and leave the meat to cook on low for 8 hours.

Then later, make gravy with the juices.

Oh and I would take the netting off.

But just a question - are you sure it isn't corned beef? I've only seen netting on corned beef.

In which case ignore everything I have said and just slow cook it in a cup of water, and eat with parsley sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

But just a question - are you sure it isn't corned beef? I've only seen netting on corned beef.

In which case ignore everything I have said and just slow cook it in a cup of water, and eat with parsley sauce.
    I've gotten roast beef with netting on

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Hi guys

yes it's defo beef round roast and has the netting on.

thanks sounds good, question. why do you brown it 1st before putting it it? what difference does it make?

sorry for all the questions, i havent a clue what i am at :)

• Advertisement

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Hi guys

yes it's defo beef round roast and has the netting on.

thanks sounds good, question. why do you brown it 1st before putting it it? what difference does it make?

sorry for all the questions, i havent a clue what i am at :)

Good, good. :)

I brown it so that it looks appetising when it is cooked. The browning also helps the flavour and colour of the gravy made from the juices.

If you don't brown it you can still eat it no problem, but it will look a little grey-ish and may smell 'boiled'.

Good, good. :)

I brown it so that it looks appetising when it is cooked. The browning also helps the flavour and colour of the gravy made from the juices.

If you don't brown it you can still eat it no problem, but it will look a little grey-ish and may smell 'boiled'.

sounds like im browning it so :)

what do you suggest for the liquid (or is it needed) I suppose boiling beef stock would be the best

Beef stock is grand, hot or cold is fine. If you use stock, remember to watch your salt when seasoning the beef, as the stock is quite salty and you don't want your gravy to be over-salted.

Water is surprisingly fine, as it will be flavoured with the meat, vegetables and herbs.

Red wine is good, but rich.

A mixture of any of the above is good, too. And yes, you need a small amount of liquid for a slow cooker to work, as that is how the heat is distributed.

Tesco roast meat usually has netting on. Love your recipe!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I sometimes put it in the oven for 15-20 minutes afterwards to add colour rather than brown it first.

thanks guys, I am looking forward to it now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭cobham

I would preheat veggies and liquid before adding to pot... maybe toss about in pan used to brown the meat? Only bare amount of liquid as little will escape in cooking and juice will come out of meat and veggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Patww79 wrote: »
    Seals most of the juices inside.

I'm afraid this is a well debunked myth - despite many chefs and writers continuously repeating it.

I would most certainly continue to do it for the reasons below

The flavour thing is more applicable though, browning anything, meat or veg, will enhance it.

I'll continue doing it for both reasons, like I said I find the meat dryer too if I don't.

This doesn't need to turn into a 'you're doing it wrong' type thing.

You're not doing anything wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

This is exactly how to make a Pot Roast: I did it this Sunday using Housekeeper's Cut, from Tesco - WITH netting which I left on.

Browned it on a hot heavy pan, placed in an ordinary ovenproof casserole (really an enamel pot) with a layer of sliced veg in the bottom.
    Deglazed the pan with some vino, poured that over the meat, adding some sliced mushrooms and thyme, salt n pepper. Just barely enough liquid to wet its feet.

Sealed lid on tightly, leave in very, very slow oven for four hours. Tender as butter.

Other touches would include thickening the gravy etc but you can work those out for yourself. The tight seal is achieved with strips of slightly crumpled tinfoil. It mustn't dry out, of course.

PS the meat was on special offer, it cost about E8.50 for about 1.5 kg. Choice!

Advertisement