Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another stupid question

Options
  • 16-05-2015 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me why "my cam" wont work on my laptop.. yet camera is working. but when I am on skype my daughter says my cam is crap. also I cant get wildtangent games to work. never could get games to actually work but now it wont even open. l get an error message saying this app is not working try again later or go to the store. go to the store and similar message. what to do:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The quality of video on Skype is more likely to be influenced by the quality of your/your daughter's internet connection rather than the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Many laptop graphics cards are basic intel graphics card,64-128meg video ram, this will run only basic games or older games .
    many games need fast graphics card with a large amount of video memory
    eg 300meg vram plus.

Every game has minimum specs ,eg cpu 2.oghz, video ram 200vram at least,
    at least nvidia model x card .
    Your graphics video card video driver may need to be reinstalled .
    or maybe reinstall the game again .
    skype needs a fast net connection speed on both ends, you ,or your daughters connection maybe slow.
    if you look in shops ,theres laptops ,with label, nvidia, ati, graphics on them,
    laptops designed for running modern games ,with 500 plus video ram .
    eg Gaming laptops .
    video ram vram is the memory on the graphics card, not the memory on the laptop ,which maybe
    2-4 gigabyte main system ram memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Would I be right in saying "My Cam" is an application you're trying to run ? Maybe some free software that came with your laptop along with the ubiquitous Wild Tangent rubbish that Sony and Toshiba like to pile on ? These games are not GPU intensive 3G games so fancy video cards are seldom required. It sounds more like the games were removed or were never installed to begin with or the free trial has expired thus pointing you back to their store.

As mentioned above, the quality on Skype is dependent on the internet connection between the communicating parties. A weakness at either end will deteriorate the video. If on the otherhand there is some other software running on your computer that's controlling the camera then the problem could be there.

Can you elaborate on what way the picture is poor ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

thanks for your replies. to be fair I dont know how bad it is for my daughter. I am only going by what she says. she says its very blurry. I just wondered if it has something to do with the cam? sorry for not having any clue what some of these replies are about. The laptop is not old (about 3 yrs) is there anything I can actually do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

gubby wrote: »
    thanks for your replies. to be fair I dont know how bad it is for my daughter. I am only going by what she says. she says its very blurry. I just wondered if it has something to do with the cam? sorry for not having any clue what some of these replies are about. The laptop is not old (about 3 yrs) is there anything I can actually do

Is the picture in picture blurry (you know, the picture of yourself?). If that's clear then the camera isn't the issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement