Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Dart Trip

Options
  • 16-05-2015 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

Staying in Dublin City centre midweek , planned on getting a dart one of the afternoons to one of the stops for an evening stroll & a lite bite ...
    Thinking Dalkey or Howth ? Any recommendations ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Howth, if the weather is good.
    walk the pier.
    the doghouse just beside the dart station do lovely pizzas and is lovely to sit outside of weather good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Howth, if the weather is good.
    walk the pier.
    the doghouse just beside the dart station do lovely pizzas and is lovely to sit outside of weather good.

Second this :)

Doghouse is great grab the bed if it's free

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There are some great seafood restaurants on the West Pier in Howth. If the fishing boats are coming in, the famous greys seals will follow them in and scrounge for for fish. They'll generally hang around the pier and wait for tourists to throw them fish heads, that the local fish shops sell. O'Connells & Findlaters aren't directly on the pier, but they have have second floor restaurants that have great views over the marina and out over to Irelands Eye

If the weather is nice & you have extra time to kill, I'd get the Dart out to Kiliney, just to see the view over the bay and over to the mountains. The vista is spectacular and you can see it best from the Dart. Then get the Dart back out to Howth for some grub.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ProudDUB wrote: »
    There are some great seafood restaurants on the West Pier in Howth. If the fishing boats are coming in, the famous greys seals will follow them in and scrounge for for fish. They'll generally hang around the pier and wait for tourists to throw them fish heads that the local fish shops sell. O'Connells & Findlaters aren't on the pier, but they have have second floor restaurants that have great views over the marina and over to Irelands Eye

If the weather is nice & you have extra time to kill, I'd get the Dart out to Kiliney, just to see the view over the bay and over to the mountains. The vista is spectacular and you can see it best from the Dart. Then get the Dart back out to Howth for some grub.

The feeding of the seals seems to have died off the last couple of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

dont-feed-the-seals-notice.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

tricky D wrote: »
    dont-feed-the-seals-notice.jpg

wonder can we get a "Dont feed the seagulls" sign aswell in Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,725 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

DART out to Killiney and walk back to Dalkey offers much better scenery en route from the DART and the walk back via Killiney Hill Park is fabulous.

https://goo.gl/maps/cyD6d

If you want to go to Howth I would recommend taking the 31b bus as it goes around the Head to the Summit from where you can walk down to Howth or take a 31 bus from the terminus. The upper deck of the bus will offer a panoramic view of Dublin Bay. If the limited 31b time doesn't work then take a 31 or 31a to the summit.

31b timetable:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/31b21/

31 timetable:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/31a-1/

There are map buttons on both timetable pages that show you the stops served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Got the dart over the last two evenings
    Went to Howth last evening , nice part of the world , Howth itself was quite , walked the pier and along the front , Ireland's eye looks a lovely spot .
    Went to killiney this afternoon , walked from the dart in killiney up killiney hill through the park which was stiff enough but lovely views of the bay and the QE2 cruise ship (I think) off Dun Laoighire . Got to Dalkey which was beautiful with loretto girls school a idyllic looking setting , the village itself was lovely & picturesque .
    Definitely would be more inclined to recommend the killiney Dalkey trip over Howth .. Then again I never noticed the walks in Howth until my return to the dart there .
    On a side note , does anyone speak to anyone on the dart anymore , all with headphones on or glued to their phone ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Howth is great during the summer evenings. A nice bag of chips or a 99 don't go a miss either.

If you go before or after rush hour, you should also get a seat on the dart, or at least if you don't, you won't be squished like sardines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

hurler32 wrote: »
    Got the dart over the last two evenings
    Went to Howth last evening , nice part of the world , Howth itself was quite , walked the pier and along the front , Ireland's eye looks a lovely spot .
    Went to killiney this afternoon , walked from the dart in killiney up killiney hill through the park which was stiff enough but lovely views of the bay and the QE2 cruise ship (I think) off Dun Laoighire . Got to Dalkey which was beautiful with loretto girls school a idyllic looking setting , the village itself was lovely & picturesque .
    Definitely would be more inclined to recommend the killiney Dalkey trip over Howth .. Then again I never noticed the walks in Howth until my return to the dart there .
    On a side note , does anyone speak to anyone on the dart anymore , all with headphones on or glued to their phone ??

Glad you had a good time. Did you stop off for a cuppa at Bono's house? :P

Howth is great, but the village itself is quiet enough, even though the marina and piers offer lovely views out over to Irelands Eye & there are some great restaurants. The real glory of Howth is the summit of Howth Head. That is where you get the amazing views back out over the entire scope of Dublin Bay, the city and over to the Wicklow Mountains.

From the village, it is about a 20 minute walk, or a 45 min/1 hr hike, depending on whether you go via the village, or you do the cliff walk around the edge of it. If you ever make the trip again, take the 31 bus from town. The end of the line, is a 2 minute walk up to the summit, with out having to do the hard slog up there yourself, from the village or the Dart station.

• Advertisement
Advertisement