Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Okay, so you're on Come Dine With Me.

Options
  • 16-05-2015 6:29pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What's your perfect, winning three course menu?

Will you do pairing with wines?

What would your entertainment be, or would you skip it altogether?

Hit me up with your suggestions for the ultimate dinner party. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Hmmm, good idea.
    Dessert for me would be banana fried in dark rum. Covered in vanilla icecream (good contrast with the hot & cold) and topped with whipped double cream. Dust with cinnamon as required...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm a big fan of sharing/tapas style of food, so my menu would reflect that.

I'd have starting platters with falafel, grilled halloumi, mixed olives, houmous, tsatsiki, pita crisps, and a big bowl of mixed salad.

My main would be a thali - consisting of a creamy veg korma, medium chana dahl, really spicy bombay aloo, along with aloo tikki and various chutneys. With poppadums and maybe a naan or two.

I'm not very good at desserts, so I'd keep that simple. A pavlova with blueberries and amaretto cream should be nice.

Entertainment can be very hit and miss. I might go for The Cube Game, if people are willing to go along.

Edit: Forgot the wines - I'd have a bottle or Riesling and a bottle of Chianti for those who like them, and a choice of ales and lagers for people of a more hoppy persuation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

It's a very tricky thing to balance and keep everyone happy.

Most people hate entertainment. so I'd bin that.

Maybe a drunken game of cards of humanity :pac:

Starter of scallops with McCarthys of Kanturk handmade black pudding and apple.

Morrocon lamb baked in beer with apricots and served with buttered cous cous

Probably a simple desert like apple pie and ice cream everyone loves apple pie.

Wines pinot for starter valpolicella ripasso for the lamb and a glass of tawny port for the pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

This thread makes me hungry.
    For starters I'd make my new love, sweet potato, spring onion and feta salad.
    Main.. It's a toss up between thai green curry and moussaka
    Dessert would be fudge brownie with ice cream.

Wines.. la croisade pinot noir and oyster bay sauvignon blanc

Now who wants to make this for me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

For starter Yaki gyoza: part fried, part steamed pork buns.

For main Sukiyaki: Japanese hotpot of beef, mushroom, cabbage, tofu, non-wheat noodles, and the most delicious sauce.

Dessert is my main problem. I'd probably go for roasted peaches with cinnamon and butter, on homemade vanilla icecream.

For entertainment; there's nothing I hate more than forced dancing so I'd go with Linkee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd ply them with drink as soon as they come in the door, loads of nibbles left out for them to have even they arrive. I'd be looking to do fillet steak cooked to their liking so I'd look to have starter and dessert done in advance, probably a choice between apple or rhubarb crumble for dessert and chicken & mushroom volauvents for starter.

I'd have loads of wine left out, personally I think the best meals are about personal choices so I would leave it up to each guest to choose what they like

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd ply them with drink as soon as they come in the door, loads of nibbles left out for them to have even they arrive. I'd be looking to do fillet steak cooked to their liking so I'd look to have starter and dessert done in advance, probably a choice between apple or rhubarb crumble for dessert and chicken & mushroom volauvents for starter.

I'd have loads of wine left out, personally I think the best meals are about personal choices so I would leave it up to each guest to choose what they like

You can hear the drunken complaints in the taxi all ready.

A, He tried to get us drunk.
    B, How hard is to cook a steak.
    C, He didn't have confidence in his wine choices so left us to do it.

They're a tough bunch! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

I'd keep it really simple. Maybe an Italian theme. Bruschetta to start. Then maybe pasta carbonara. Not sure about dessert, maybe homemade ice cream. All very simple, but I'd have them all well practiced and with the best freshest ingredients.

Then perhaps a game of Gloom once everyone was nicely tipsy on wine and beer! (Would definitely offer beer as well as wine at dinner, lots of people I know prefer it.)

I would dread the part where they go poking around your house ... God knows what they'd find! :eek:

I'd keep it really simple. Maybe an Italian theme. Bruschetta to start. Then maybe pasta carbonara. Not sure about dessert, maybe homemade ice cream. All very simple, but I'd have them all well practiced and with the best freshest ingredients.

Then perhaps a game of Gloom once everyone was nicely tipsy on wine and beer! (Would definitely offer beer as well as wine at dinner, lots of people I know prefer it.)

I would dread the part where they go poking around your house ... God knows what they'd find! :eek:

I think only go around the house if they're allowed a lot of episodes they dont go round the house

everyone who does Bruschetta gets slaughtered for making fancy toast.

:pac::pac:

I always use to be complaining about peoples choices when watching but when the onus is on you it's not as easy as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

We had this at our house...
    I made mushroom soup to my mother's creamy, mushroomy recipe.
    Then Southern Steak, a recipe of my own which includes olives, thyme and julienne orange rind. That had Provencal Tomatoes and potato wedges with it, Red Burgundy to drink.
    Dessert - I think it was lemon cheesecake: NB mine is light, not sticky and very lemony!

It is an idea that circulates around the family. Some one else's turn next! We have quite a large family and there's still three to go!

• Advertisement
Advertisement