Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jc English!Studied

Options
  • 16-05-2015 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

For romeo and Juliet would i be ok just learning a tonne of quotes and know to to structure the questions?To do well any advice on the studied area of the course?

I got 79% in the mocks which was ok but english is the only subject which i cannot see myself getting an A in even to
    thouh i can close it just seems so dar away
    it hard to get an A in this subject and is it achieved by many each year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AminaxD

Hi, I am doing my junior cert this year. As regards the quotes, they are vital if you are aiming for an A. My English teacher said they can be the difference between grades. As regards getting an A it is very possible, I got 94 percent in my mocks and I am from Russia. I feel the amount you write is very important, try to write as many well structured points in the time frame allowed for each question. Remember every 5 marks = 1 point /paragraph. Just keep practising, and I am sure you will get your A :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭patrickLouth1

AminaxD wrote: »
    Hi, I am doing my junior cert this year. As regards the quotes, they are vital if you are aiming for an A. My English teacher said they can be the difference between grades. As regards getting an A it is very possible, I got 94 percent in my mocks and I am from Russia. I feel the amount you write is very important, try to write as many well structured points in the time frame allowed for each question. Remember every 5 marks = 1 point /paragraph. Just keep practising, and I am sure you will get your A :)

Will do thanks for the advice!Goodluck in the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Personal response is crucial to getting an A (as well as what's been mentioned already)

Try to give YOUR personal opinion now and again when answering questions. (not your teacher's opinion...the majority of your class will regurgitate your teachers notes more or less word for word and y'all need to stand out with a bitta individuality in yer answers if y'all wanna get the A)

Make observations on the text yourself. There is no such thing as a wrong answer in English...only an answer that was not well-developed, explained, and/or structured.

This applies to all aspects of the English course: Poetry, Novel, Media Studies, the whole show

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭patrickLouth1

Personal response is crucial to getting an A (as well as what's been mentioned already)

Try to give YOUR personal opinion now and again when answering questions. (not your teacher's opinion...the majority of your class will regurgitate your teachers notes more or less word for word and y'all need to stand out with a bitta individuality in yer answers if y'all wanna get the A)

Make observations on the text yourself. There is no such thing as a wrong answer in English...only an answer that was not well-developed, explained, and/or structured.

This applies to all aspects of the English course: Poetry, Novel, Media Studies, the whole show

Thank you,Would you advise on answering the Shakespeare drama or the normal one?
    If i know dut you didnt,nettles,base details,suicide in the trenches,dulce est decorum est would i be covered for all of poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Normal drama. Usually easier to understand, relate to, and discuss.

The poems are fine, except for the fact that they are all war poems or related to war and what it brings with it.

I'd recommend learning something else just to cover yourself. Something to do with nature or youth or anything a far cry from war just to break things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Though keep in mind that because barely anyone answers the Shakespearean drama, it tends to be marked a lot easier than the modern one. When you get the paper skim through both of them and if the Shakespearean one looks approachable I would recommend having a go. But on the other hand don't answer it just for the sake of the easier marking if you don't understand what's going on in the scene .

Advertisement