Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post Ras 2015 *warning, spoilers inside, no spoiler tags

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Gap is increasing, that was surprise

and then I read on and it has dropped significantly

10km with 45sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

well now, are we to expect more dramatics on the podium today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sprint won by the team of the infamous Reda, Matteo Mallucelli TeamIdea2010. lol

QueensGael wrote: »
    well now, are we to expect more dramatics on the podium today?

Apparently an post announced the wrong winner

CramCycle wrote: »
    Apparently an post announced the wrong winner

Same team, wrong name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    He was disqualified for getting a tow from his own car after a medical issue. The rules state you can be towed by the Race Dr while getting treatment. Unfortunately, in his case, the Race Dr had to leave him to attend another incident, and he then got a tow from his team car (or another vehicle). On balance it was harsh, as he was entitled to a tow for as long as necessary by the Dr, but this tow ended prematurely when the Dr had to leave him. The general rules on towing then kicked in and don't allow for discretion. (My recollection of it anyway)

Ahh that is pretty much what I had originally said :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Alberto Elli, Team Manager of TeamIdea2010 also thrown off the race....over very heated discussion with the commissiares last night!

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Alberto Elli, Team Manager of TeamIdea2010 also thrown off the race....over very heated discussion with the commissiares last night!

Yup, also what I said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

QueensGael wrote: »
    Yup, also what I said!

My sincerest apologies, you did of course say that. The dangers of speed reading and not reading every single post! So much to do and so little time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

got up this morning to see it, only to find out it left an hour earlier then scheduled due to prince charlie visit :mad:

no mention of it on the official website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

I'm not in the west to watch the stage - but following it via the live updates. I don't know what others think but it really does sound lie cracking racing; constant attacking, chasing, side-winds, rolling roads - typical RAS perhaps. But wouldn't this make for great TV? As opposed to an early break, 3-4 hours of very little and a chase to end in a bunch sprint, as is more typical of continental stage races.
    Anyway, maybe off the point but this is the type of bike racing kids should be watching and following.

It sounds brilliant from what I can gather from the thwitter machine. I'm off to Ballina to watch it tomorrow, dragging a few niblings with me, can't wait! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Any one know the expected stage finish time for Friday in Ballinamore? Would love to get there with the kids if times suit.

EDIT, found out . About 3.30pm, according to the AA site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Any one know the expected stage finish time for Friday in Ballinamore? Would love to get there with the kids if times suit.

EDIT, found out . About 3.30pm, according to the AA site.

Ballinamore Finish.

Tailwind: 14.20
    Average: 15.00
    Headwind: 16.00

According to guide put through letterbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Details for each stage and times on the website as well:

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/IrishCyclingRas/Route/Stage+6/Stage+6+2012.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

headed down to ballinamore great finish hope the UCD rider who looked to have taken a nasty fall somewhere is ok

couple of pics
    349697.jpg

349698.jpg

Another great days racing out there, Ian Richardson is having a phenomenal Ras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

CramCycle wrote: »
    Another great days racing out there, Ian Richardson is having a phenomenal Ras

And he wasn't even in sticky bottles list of 20 likely county contenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

And he wasn't even in sticky bottles list of 20 likely county contenders

ask sticky bottle to pick 36 numbers between 1 and 42, put the other 6 on your lottery ticket :-)

Can't help thinking about Damien Shaw's near misses the last two days - super effort but looks like on stage one he attacked the laughing group he was in and pulled back a couple of mins but was still already well out of it by then. Probably out of panic. Some wasted energy there that might have made the difference today or yesterday - all well and good having the power but you need the race craft to back it up.

Probably why domestic riders haven't landed one since '07 - I fear we won't see the likes of Big Ben again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Probably why domestic riders haven't landed one since '07 - I fear we won't see the likes of Big Ben again.

Sam Bennett and Conor Dunne have both won as county riders since then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

How do people enter the ras? Do you qualify or what are the entry requirements? I am assuming you need to be an A1 rider at least? Fella in our club is an A4 and he rode the Ras many years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    How do people enter the ras? Do you qualify or what are the entry requirements? I am assuming you need to be an A1 rider at least? Fella in our club is an A4 and he rode the Ras many years ago.

A+, A1 or A2 riders can enter. You have to be part o a team who have been accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    A+, A1 or A2 riders can enter. You have to be part o a team who have been accepted.

i.e. you buy you way in via entry fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Going to Skerries today with the family to watch the finish. Would anyone have any recommendations for where it's best to park there? Never been in Skerries before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rás yellow jersey’s bike and team bikes, kit stolen overnight

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/ras-yellow-jerseys-bike-and-team-bikes-kit-stolen-overnight/

FFS, nothing is safe in this country

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ted1 wrote: »
    Rás yellow jersey’s bike and team bikes, kit stolen overnight

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/ras-yellow-jerseys-bike-and-team-bikes-kit-stolen-overnight/

FFS, nothing is safe in this country

Easy targets. Surprised it hasnt happened before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

godtabh wrote: »
    Easy targets. Surprised it hasnt happened before

While embarrassing, it's not an Irish problem. Same thing happened at the road world championships a couple of years ago.

I keep my bike in the house but that's not practical for a travelling team. Maybe the mechanics should flip a coin to see who sleeps in the Van with a gun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Doc07 wrote: »
    While embarrassing, it's not an Irish problem. Same thing happened at the road world championships a couple of years ago.

I keep my bike in the house but that's not practical for a travelling team. Maybe the mechanics should flip a coin to see who sleeps in the Van with a gun!

they have all sorts of tricks, italy has been pretty bad for bike break ins, always issue with such high value material just in a van in the open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Going to Skerries today with the family to watch the finish. Would anyone have any recommendations for where it's best to park there? Never been in Skerries before.

Did you get sorted?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Did you get sorted?
    .... probably still blocked in

Have my own "secret" location that never lets me down mind...

Was back on the same corner as last year marshaling today (having performed the same duty at this morning's IVCA race). Only had one particularly irate motorist getting her bumper close to my knee when attempting to perform her rapid 9-point turn. There seemed some confusion over the number of laps of the final circuit which was apparently increased by one compared to recent years. Clearly not everyone was in the know as we ended up with a few cars appearing from "nowhere" on the final lap.

Plenty of Boardsies in Skerries today, including a few taking their "men of the Ras" medals on the stage - well done to all you guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Did you get sorted?

Cheers, got sorted quite well. Got to the town, parked up at a kerb, walked around the corner and there it all was - the stalls, shops, cafes, barriers, flags, caps and a lot of very good atmosphere. Great day out for the whole family and the restaurant prices were a welcome change to what's the usual in Dublin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Was a great day, was up with the Mayo.ie team who had 2 boardsies on it. Was in Drogheda with the lads before hand and then headed to Donore for the start, then shot across to Garristown and got them there. Ended up at the back of the cars and drafted 2 lads in but when we got to the start of the circuit they had it closed and the lads had to finish. The climb to where we were was mental long, no wonder it split.
    Got a lift down in the broom wagon then through the finish line, what a buzz! :D
    Met with a good few then when we all stopped in Enfield for the calories! :D Great buzz around the place.
    Mayo.ie lads got a great reception in Westport then. Was a great experience and hats off to all the riders and the organisers, I'm new to this scene and loved every bit of it.

Weather was class and I have sun burn on my sunburn today. 900km+ clocked up by the time I got back into Mayo, was a tired boy when the alarm went at 6.20am

i.e. you buy you way in via entry fee?

Curious, how much is the entry for a team ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

yop wrote: »
    Was a great day, was up with the Mayo.ie team who had 2 boardsies on it. Was in Drogheda with the lads before hand and then headed to Donore for the start, then shot across to Garristown and got them there. Ended up at the back of the cars and drafted 2 lads in but when we got to the start of the circuit they had it closed and the lads had to finish. The climb to where we were was mental long, no wonder it split.
    Got a lift down in the broom wagon then through the finish line, what a buzz! :D
    Met with a good few then when we all stopped in Enfield for the calories! :D Great buzz around the place.
    Mayo.ie lads got a great reception in Westport then. Was a great experience and hats off to all the riders and the organisers, I'm new to this scene and loved every bit of it.

Weather was class and I have sun burn on my sunburn today. 900km+ clocked up by the time I got back into Mayo, was a tired boy when the alarm went at 6.20am

Is mise an Broom Driver .........

Curious, how much is the entry for a team ?

think the rider entry is 500 euro each, but each riders full costs are closer to 1500 for the week ( hotels food etc), budget team operates on 7500 euro and full budget for a team closer to 10,000 euro

between all the riders etc between 7.5 k and 10k needs to be raised / sponsored

michael196 wrote: »
    think the rider entry is 500 euro each, but each riders full costs are closer to 1500 for the week ( hotels food etc), budget team operates on 7500 euro and full budget for a team closer to 10,000 euro

between all the riders etc between 7.5 k and 10k needs to be raised / sponsored

And entry is at the discretion of the organisers too....
    Just because you enter doesn't mean your team is sure to be accepted.

RobFowl wrote: »
    And entry is at the discretion of the organisers too....
    Just because you enter doesn't mean your team is sure to be accepted.

Needs to be some level of reality in acceptance to the race , that you/ your team, will survive beyond day 1-2-3.

32 teams of 5, 165 riders appears to be the quota/ limit. approx. 80 riders from Ireland and 80 international, in this years Race.

Needs to be some level of reality in acceptance to the race , that you/ your team, will survive beyond day 1-2-3.

32 teams of 5, 165 riders appears to be the quota/ limit. approx. 80 riders from Ireland and 80 international, in this years Race.

Glad to see there are checks and balances.... otherwise somebody like me who never ever got a CI point but who voluntarily upgraded to A3 a couple of years ago (and happily so) could voluntarily upgrade to A2 again, rope in another 4 knobs and enter a team :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Serious respect to the Boardsies who raced. I've been stalking you on Strava/Twitter/Facebook. Epic stuff. I can't imagine lasting 5 minutes let alone a single stage! Hardy Men.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is mise an Broom Driver .........

Ha ha, class! Appreciated the lift and the return back, VERY decent of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Doc07 wrote: »

Do you keep your bikes locked in the house? As i have heard of many bikes being robbed from houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Glad to see there are checks and balances.... otherwise somebody like me who never ever got a CI point but who voluntarily upgraded to A3 a couple of years ago (and happily so) could voluntarily upgrade to A2 again, rope in another 4 knobs and enter a team :D

you might surprise yourself. If you are doing it the commitment has to start in November with a good plan to do the good stage races and to train long hours and miles. You seen it there last week they did 96km in 2 hours so if you are hanging on in an A3 you will have a spot of bother.

I did it 3 times 92, 93 as an S3 and 02 as an s2 i think. first 2 were grand but they were 9 days then the last one I bailed after a couple of stages. head melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

morana wrote: »
    you might surprise yourself. If you are doing it the commitment has to start in November with a good plan to do the good stage races and to train long hours and miles. You seen it there last week they did 96km in 2 hours so if you are hanging on in an A3 you will have a spot of bother.

I did it 3 times 92, 93 as an S3 and 02 as an s2 i think. first 2 were grand but they were 9 days then the last one I bailed after a couple of stages. head melted.

Travelling 8 days in a row at 40-45k+ average daily over 1,100 km in total
    Serious fitness, strength and endurance required.

The aul saying...if it was easy...everybody would be doing it comes to mind! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

yop wrote: »

Curious, where you driving a blue skoda by chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Travelling 8 days in a row at 40-45k+ average daily over 1,100 km in total
    Serious fitness, strength and endurance required.

The aul saying...if it was easy...everybody would be doing it comes to mind! :)

indeed its not easy but you have to commit and train for it obviously. I dont think the lads hung around in those days either! I seem to recall a stage from Sligo to Tipperary with a 14mile neutralised section ended up doing 125m for the day!!!

Curious, where you driving a blue skoda by chance?

If I was doing "good" driving then yes, if I wasn't then "no" :D

morana wrote: »

Impressions I get from a couple of guys I know who finished it and were towards the back of the field is that in addition to putting in the hours you would need a minimum FTP of about 4W/KG to have any chance of getting around.

• Advertisement

Impressions I get from a couple of guys I know who finished it and were towards the back of the field is that in addition to putting in the hours you would need a minimum FTP of about 4W/KG to have any chance of getting around.

If you are comfortable in / towards the front of A3 you'd want to be putting out north of 4W/kg imo.

Advertisement