Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post Ras 2015 *warning, spoilers inside, no spoiler tags

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

no time eliminations

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

michael196 wrote: »
    no time eliminations

Generally 20% of winners time is the cut off in the Ras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Inquitus wrote: »
    If you are comfortable in / towards the front of A3 you'd want to be putting out north of 4W/kg imo.

But you wouldn't being doing many races that'd even come close to Rás-like 160km distances, yet alone doing them back to back. Even the step up from the 110-130km A1/A2 races to 150km+ Rás stages is enough to really wear down a lot of the county riders, even more so when the first hour or two are done close to their limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

I always thought the Ras was the best of best in Ireland and a few elite invites. Would I be right in saying that many of the top club riders in Ireland (not the riders who have a chance of winning) may not get the chance to do it because of the cost of entering?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It could happen, but I haven't come across it yet. A lot of clubs would put money towards their Rás team. Our own club had a fundraiser as well.

• Advertisement

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    I always thought the Ras was the best of best in Ireland and a few elite invites. Would I be right in saying that many of the top club riders in Ireland (not the riders who have a chance of winning) may not get the chance to do it because of the cost of entering?

160 riders, approx. 80 irish , 80 international. 50:50 split

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

Well.Head melted,wrecked,head burned off me,sore ankle and I wasn't even riding it.
    Always a special event to be a part of [even when they told me I would have to shag off and mark the route at 6.30am on the Tuesday because of an earlier start].Wouldn't miss being a small part of this for the world.
    Very special and emotional time for the whole family yesterday,when the organisation in agreement with the riders,allowed mini wav to move forward and lead the race by his home,and into his home village at the start of the final stage,Huge community support for him yesterday morning,and as van the man once said.My mama told me there'd be days like this.

BTW low point of the week was a phone call from michael196 on Friday to tell me he had the mini wav in front of the broom after 15k.Serious worry time.Turned out to be a kind of false alarm as he had puncture and was making his way back on.Only found that out about a hundred km later though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Loved that touch as well yesterday. In fairness to the group they allowed Jason prendergast out the front through louisburgh and patjoe lead into westport and Keith headed the group at one stage. Level of sportsmanship warms the heart. Even marshals and ras cars and vans gave us a wave on Tuesday Wednesday and yesterday.

wav1 wrote: »
    BTW low point of the week was a phone call from michael196 on Friday to tell me he had the mini wav in front of the broom after 15k.Serious worry time.Turned out to be a kind of false alarm as he had puncture and was making his way back on.Only found that out about a hundred km later though.

did not mean to worry you, but thought it best that u knew. he rode away grand afterwards, and disappeared up the cavalcade. hope I did not worry you too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

michael196 wrote: »
    did not mean to worry you, but thought it best that u knew. he rode away grand afterwards, and disappeared up the cavalcade. hope I did not worry you too much.

You did. He hurt his ankle from worrying so much.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You did. He hurt his ankle from worrying so much.
    No not really..Just a slight balance problem when a cable tie snapped.

No not really..Just a slight balance problem when a cable tie snapped.

You were being held up by a cable tie?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I remember seeing a tweet that mini wav had crashed but then could not get any other sources and obviously didn't want to wreck your head wav, then he was fine and finished in time and no one mentioned it again so I just took it that it wasn't that bad.

What happened in the crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The Flying Vet

Was on Blackhills yesterday. Thought Damien Shaws effort to reel in the two leaders was astounding....best showing from county rider for a while. Thought the less hilly route was going to detract from the race but it was actually more exciting with crosswinds/breaks etc. Kudos to all involved

CramCycle wrote: »
    I remember seeing a tweet that mini wav had crashed but then could not get any other sources and obviously didn't want to wreck your head wav, then he was fine and finished in time and no one mentioned it again so I just took it that it wasn't that bad.

What happened in the crash?
    Just a normal touch of wheels job.Hit the auld road hard enough though and smashed frame,but nothing too bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just a normal touch of wheels job.Hit the auld road hard enough though and smashed frame,but nothing too bad.

I heard about the frame smash, fair play to him for jumping back up, that alone would be a justifiable spooking for any rider, made of tough stuff from that part of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

yop wrote: »
    If I was doing "good" driving then yes, if I wasn't then "no" :D

:) Thanks for the offer of a draft

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

:) Thanks for the offer of a draft

Wow, v small world this! :D Your welcome, I had asked our lad if he needed it so when he didn't I thought u were out the back. Been there myself so know what a minute drafting can do for the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'm still bloody tired. When's this Rás bump kick in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Friend collected about a dozen bidons discarded by the bunch in the Inagh Valley in Connemara - I got one from the Tirol cycling team - colours match my bike perfectly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm still bloody tired. When's this Rás bump kick in?

Might have kicked in already :D

Zzippy wrote: »
    Friend collected about a dozen bidons discarded by the bunch in the Inagh Valley in Connemara - I got one from the Tirol cycling team - colours match my bike perfectly :)
    The ras riders don't discard bidons.They just ''drop''them and don't have time to stop and pick them up.

dropped on crashs, or dropped off ramps on the roads, or bumpy surface

Also, they are called bottles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Also, they are called bottles.

Rule 52 suggests bidons is the correct term ...

RobFowl wrote: »
    Rule 52 suggests bidons is the correct term ...

They're more guidelines than rules!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Inquitus wrote: »
    If you are comfortable in / towards the front of A3 you'd want to be putting out north of 4W/kg imo.

I've an FTP of 4w/kg no way I could hang with those guys. I imagine your 1 - 5 minute power numbers, along with great endurance are nearly more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Advertisement